iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new stihl products

Started by jaciausa, June 10, 2015, 10:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaciausa

Dealer says new stihl products have valves that need adjusting. I have 2 that are very hard starting. Three pulls are all that I ever needed for the older model. Anyone have starting problems with the newer models?

sablatnic

If it is what Stihl call "four mix", it is absolutely correct. (They are four stroke engines running on two stroke mixed fuel).
Hard starting, like you have to pull a lot of times, or like the starter is extremely hard to pull?

Oh, and which products are giving you the problems?

beenthere

My new Stihl MS362 is the best starting saw I've ever owned. Previous ones were predictable, and the most trustworthy for always starting was the 041.

Not sure what models are being talked about when saying "new stihl products".
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

HolmenTree

I have two Stihl 4-Mix products, a gas powered drill and weed trimmer. Best running  little gas power tools I ever owned. They idle very stable and good throttle response even while warming up.
Their about 12 years old now.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

jaciausa

Right now the 391MS, that is very new and i just got my pole saw back from dealer. It has only had one chain on it. They took way to many pulls to start. I use high oct, no alcohol and fresh gas! Dealer says to choke one  to two pulls at most. These saws are hard to distinguish the firing. That usually meant the old saws would start on the next pull if you took the choke off.

HolmenTree

Yeah that reminds me I also have a older HT75 Stihl pole saw. That engine is awesome  too.
Sounds like the newer models may be having issues?.....

sablatnic

You are right about hearing the first firing - I have started not to put on earmuffs till I have heard it!

Your pole saw, is it with the 4-mix engine? My experience is that it will fire on the third pull, and run after three to five more pulls.

Do you use the primer bulb? And not just three pumps. When it has been sitting for some time, you should give it 10 - 15 pumps to flush the carburettor with fresh fuel mix. You will not flood the engine, the fuel will just run back to the tank.
The MS391, I don't remember, but does it have a primer bulb? If it does, use the same 10 - 15 pumps before start.

ZeroJunk

When I bought my HT131 the first thing I did was get it flooded. A little embarrassing since I work on this stuff all the time. Never had a problem with the blowers or trimmers that are 4 mix for whatever reason.
It is important to have the throttle in the Start position when it is cold. You may never hear a pop. And, if you have pulled it three times on choke take the choke off. You can always choke it again, but once you get it flooded it won't start until it is dried back out.

4x4American

Yup, I just recently got a new string trimmer and the dealer told me to bring it back after roughly 100 hrs for him to do a valve adjustment.  He said it was important.  I am trying to remember if I was supposed to do that for my blower too?  (BR-600)
Boy, back in my day..

joe_indi

A couple of years ago I had made a video and uploaded it to Youtube. Maybe it could be of some help. Joe
https://youtu.be/waPf0oDAVOg

jaciausa

I talked to dealer some more and the 391MS is not a4mix. Anyway, the new stihls are very flood prone. I was able to start 3 of my products easier by being more careful. Bought some extra sparkplugs just in case i overchoke,

JohnG28

I have a br430 blower, prime and starts 2nd pull every time. Been using an Ht131 pole saw, also starts second pull when primed. There are no saws that I'm aware of with 4 mix or valves?  ??? They're piston ported. If I leave a saw for a while without running it usually takes a few extra pulls to start first time. Next day it's just a few though.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

jaciausa

I think time will tell how they hold up. I understand how to start them now. The 391MS has a extra trigger setting that was different then all of the other saws etc. that I have.

saw_nut

Something we go over with everyone that buys a new Stihl is the starting procedure. Cold start set switch to choke and 3 pulls maximum. After 3rd pull set switch to fast idle and unit will start in 2 more pulls. 4mix and any Easy 2 Start equipped models are the exception. They usually start on the second pull.

beenthere

saw_nut
You mention 4mix, and I've seen it mentioned before. I'm puzzled just what it means... and maybe not the only one.

Are there certain Stihl saw models that are 4mix? Would the m-tronic be, such as the MS362?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sablatnic

4mix engines are simply 4-stroke engines without oil sump, but with the oil mixed into the fuel. (They are using ordinary 2-stroke mix).

The 4mix engines don't have more problems than 2-stroke engines, maybe even less - they are no new invention; Stihl have sold them for 12 - 14 years, and have sold a lot of them!

4x4American

My string trimmer and leaf blower are 4 mix and they start usually 2nd pull always, and run well.  They have valves that need to be adjusted periodically.
Boy, back in my day..

so il logger

I do not own a 4 mix, but have heard some things about a nylon or plastic cam failing? I have a troy bilt 4 cycle trimmer, no mixing of the gas.

saw_nut

The 4-mix are among our best selling Stihl products. We have only had 1 cam failure since selling them. Unit was 1 year out of warranty period and Stihl warrantied it under good will policy. Love my fs90.

4x4American

I like my FS-90 too as far as string trimmers go.  I like that I can put a bar + chain on it and bang, now it's a pole saw.
Boy, back in my day..

bullet20

none of the saws are 4mix , yes the br series blowers need serviced,  we usually don't see many issues with them anymore, in the past  the blocks had a weak area around the cam pin, which is fixed,  it doesn't to run seafoam  or some sort of decarbonizer through them from time to time. I have seen  more issues with the 100% 87 octane building extreme carbon in the engine from commercial customers. sometimes sticking valves. even on 4 strokes as well . the only thing [new]   these last few years in the saws  would be more stratified cylinders, as in some of there string trimmer lines as well . gotta love the epa.

630red

yeah we have seen a few with carbon build up,got on to stihl about them they said the stihl ultra mix has to be used in them..

Skip

Don't know how true it is but, have my 550xp husky in shop floods easy hard to start loads up  husky tech says its carb  told me stihl is ieasing carb patent off husky  same problems no adj on carb Hmmm ?  :( >:( :o

HolmenTree

That legendary "micro processor controlled carb patent" rumor has run its course over the years.
If my memory serves me correctly , Homelite originally developed the technology.
Niko [SawTroll] , maybe you can chime in here. ???

weimedog

Quote from: Skip on September 12, 2015, 08:57:29 AM
Don't know how true it is but, have my 550xp husky in shop floods easy hard to start loads up  husky tech says its carb  told me stihl is ieasing carb patent off husky  same problems no adj on carb Hmmm ?  :( >:( :o

The ones we have required a "tweaking" of user knowledge in the shop... Never more than two pulls with the choke. Never needs the choke on restarts. Had guys pulling waiting for it to start like their XL-12's with the choke on.... pulled past that mythical "pop" and into flooding territory.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Thank You Sponsors!