iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree pitch

Started by John Woodworth, June 10, 2015, 08:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Woodworth

Any suggestions on removing thick hardened tree pitch from stone flagstones?
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Ljohnsaw

Turpentine - if you can find it.  I picked up a box of all sorts of cans from a guy on CL.  The last time I saw turpentine was when I was a kid (that's been a while!).  I had some sap stuck all over my hands and on my jeans from working up on my property.  A little dab of turps and it wiped right off!  I was amazed.  Then again, turps is made from pine sap... Makes you think your in the woods, it smells wonderful!  Paint thinner will also work - took a while to loosen and smells nasty.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

NH-Murph

I've always considered gasoline to be a pretty good universal solvent...

CCC4

Not really related to what you are asking...however I think its a useful tip...

Q- How to remove pine sap from belly and arm hair.

A- In a hot shower apply hair conditioner, leave on for a few minutes and it usually whips clean w/o residue on first try, sometimes takes 2 applications, but at least you are not using harsh solvents on your skin everyday

clearcut

Turpentine should work.

Pitch is generally oil soluble so any vegetable oil should soften it. The vegetable oil can then be cleaned with a mild detergent like dish soap.

The vegetable oil followed by dish soap also works on skin.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

John Woodworth

Thanks guys for the suggestions, have some serious spots to remove.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

florida

I'd try to chip or scrape the thick stuff off first then  try the turps. WD 40 will work also. You might even have to use something like lacquer thinner to get the residue of the turps off.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

MikeON

I use mayonnaise to clean pitch off my hands.
Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

timberlinetree

I have been putting it on my boots hoping to make them waterproof. When a kid nothing was better than a pine sap tattoo! Use a stick and sap to make the designdesign. Rub some dirt on it and you where cool! :D

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!