iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finishing for 9X12 shed/bunky

Started by Haggis, June 09, 2015, 03:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haggis

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of planning a shed for a new piece of land my wife and have come to acquire.

We are looking to finish the outside with a natural look to it. So my question to you guys is what is a good finish.

Is Linseed oil a good finish and should it be diluted with something if it is?

If your wondering it is going to be built with a spruce plywood over 2X4 structure.

Cheers
Haggis

hackberry jake

The more natural it looks, the more frequent it will require maintenance. My best guess wohld be a light colored stain applied every two years. A heavy stain will last for 10 years.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

What will the siding be?  Assume it will not be the spruce plywood.

Be nice if you would put your location in your profile.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Cuprinol is great but stinky for quite a while. Stops both the rot and the bugs. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Haggis

Just updated my profile with my location. Ottawa Canada. Piece of land is about an hour away up in the Gatineau Hills.

As for the siding yes it will be plywood with a baton finish every 16". My father built his cottage this way and it looks great. However he used a dark brown stain. My wife and I like the look of a more natural look for the finish but also don't want to have to stain every year.

Hilltop366

The only thing I can think of that would last with little to no care and look natural is eastern white cedar shingles. I have them on my house and backwoods camp untreated for 15 years, so far no issues.

House

Camp

MattJ

I've had outstanding results with cabot's oil-based finishes for outdoors.  It holds up incredibly well and they have natural color options.  They also have plastic cards at home depot / lowes that show how dark it will look.  Just hold the card over the unfinished wood.  So far I'm five years in on applications I've done on eastern red cedar and pressure treated pine and the finish looks great. 

MattJ

To be specific I used their Australian timber oil line of products, 2 coats.

Haggis

Haggis

Forgot to post the finished look of the Shed. Went with a Bear natural stain. Still need to add the stairs but that is for next spring.

Thank You Sponsors!