iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you do your monthly/3000-mile check on your Dexter axle?

Started by SawyerBrown, June 08, 2015, 06:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

The past couple of times out with the mill, I've noticed a "grinding" sound coming out of one trailer wheel, but it wasn't getting hot, so I continued to run it.  Today had some time to pull it apart ... and the adjuster pin (if that's the right term?) and spring were laying in there loose.  Considerable wear on the adjuster, and spring was worn and bent, but the hub seems to be OK.

So I'm used to automobile versions that are self-adjusting, so I'm thinking I'm missing some parts!  But these are not self-adjusting, they're manual adjustment, as I find out after talking to Dexter.  They wanted to know if I'd been doing my monthly  :o / 3000 mile maintenance.  Huh?  Yup, supposed to go in and do a check and manual adjustment if necessary.  So I'm thinking I missed something in my trusty Woodmizer manual -- nope, nothing about axles.  Called the factory, they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. (But the service manager is supposed to call me back tomorrow ...).  Never heard of the problem before.

Which I guess I can believe.  If assembled correctly, the spring should keep that adjuster trapped.  BUT, at some point, it seems to me you run out of "travel" if this thing is out of adjustment, and you get less/no braking.  If it in fact can get to that point, which I assume you can since Dexter says go in and check it more often than anybody is really ever going to do ...

More tomorrow after talking to WM ...

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Dave Shepard

There should be a Dexter manual in with the WM manual. My mill has 210 miles from Hannibal to Great Barrington, MA, and 5.5 miles to my house since it was delivered in '08. I've put about a 1/4 mile on it in the yard, so at this rate, I should be good for another 1,600 years or so before I have to check it. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MartyParsons

Hello,
   I would take a guess that about only 10% or less of Wood Mizer owners check their brakes, bearings or even the tires.
There is a Dexter Manual that comes with the Wood Mizer owner manual.
All of the used mills that leave here from our location and they had brakes on them from factory have the brakes working before they leave. Most of the surge brakes WM used in the 90's are not in operation. From where I see them any way. We fix them before they leave.

On the electric brake axles there is also a brake away battery that should be charged every month or it also charges when being towed.

When was the last time you checked your E brake battery let alone the brakes?

Good post!

Safety First!

Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

21incher

When I have trailer brake problems with Dexter axles I call eastern marine and buy a whole new backing plate assembly loaded with everything. For a 7k axle they are on sale now for $29.00 each side and are Dexter parts ( if you get on their email list the other sizes go on sale quite often ). Just cut the brake wires remove 4 nuts and replace everything at once. Then just sand the drum if it is not to bad. I usually check and adjust them once a year before taking them for inspection. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

mason44

I usually check bearings out my rearview mirror, and if i get really anal ill feel the hubs during a long trip for heat. And as stated earlier its easier and cheaper to swap brake assembly when trouble arrises

Larry

On my cargo trailer I'm supposed to check lug nut torque every 500 miles.  After a wheel fell off at 70 mph I think I know why. :o :o :o
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SawyerBrown

Dave and Marty, there was a Dexter book that came with the mill, but it's basically a Parts book (the title is "Trailer Running Gear").  After I talked to the Dexter guy, he sent me an electronic copy of what I suspect I should have gotten called "Operation Maintenance Service Manual", as well as a maintenance chart/table.  The covers look identical except for the title ...

Marty, unless I'm missing something, the only maintenance on the trailer (included in the "Electric Brake Trailer" section, but not in the maintenance log) is 1) clean and repack wheel bearings every 12 months, 2) make sure tires are inflated correctly, and 3) make sure the hitch is on tight.  Nothing that I can find in the book about charging the break away battery (though I'm almost 100% portable, so it should be staying charged) -- only a "Danger!" statement saying make sure it is charged (how?).  Nothing about the adjuster, which the Dexter guy says needs to be done every 3 months (not one, sorry) or 3000 miles.  Dave, I guess that means you've got to check yours quarterly so that it doesn't get away from you in the yard!   :D

Will let you know what I find out from HQ   ;D  Thanks for responding!

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

SawyerBrown

Brake all fixed.  We have a local wheel/axle/trailer place in town, they knew exactly what I needed, actually had the adjuster and spring packaged together in a nice little baggie.  Thanks Mutual Wheel Co in E Peoria, great service!

Now, Woodmizer ... hmmm.  Left a phone message for the boss "JB", and one of the guys at the call center entered a report too, but it's been a week and a half and no call back.  The guys at the call center are consistently helpful, they get an A+.  Marty ... A+.  The managers ... well, I guess it was inevitable that I find something to be disappointed about Woodmizer.

Wouldn't be such a big deal but I think it could affect how well brakes work on all existing portable mills if they're not adjusted properly.  And if I'm wrong, I'd like to understand why so that I can stop worrying about it.  [My previous job as a New Product Introduction manager made me a bit "anal" about these types of issues ... sorry]

rasman57

Pete I have the same Dexter axle on my Featherlite Flatbed trailer and when mine fell apart it wedged in the drum causing that wheel to lock and skid.  Fortunately I was pulling out of my drive and noticed it right away.  BUT, because I thought the drum was a bit rusty from sitting, I stopped and backed up a bit and it released.  It happened again a few miles later after hitting a good bump.  I managed to limp it home and discovered the drum was scored badly and one of the shoes destroyed.    At speed, that skidding tire would have been reduced quickly or on wet pavement it could have been interesting.  You actually were lucky it was just metal on metal grinding.

I replaced all 4 of mine with a complete setup... bolt on backing plate with shoes, springs, adjuster etc from etrailer just as 21 Incher said...easy and cheap USA MADE by Dexter, BUT the adjusters have to be set and supposed to be periodically checked.  ???

For what it is worth, I bought the trailer in 2001 and have replaced tires, re-packed wheel bearings a couple times and bought a new break-away battery.  Always attentive to keeping it in shape... I also did not know the adjusters were manual.  My guess is the majority of owners have no clue also.  ???

Ralph

Thank You Sponsors!