iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Ants.....Nightmare on Cedar Street

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, June 05, 2015, 06:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

We sawed a whack of Cedar today.
Nice slabs were taken but 1 logs was full of......well....the video tells to all.
You can zoom in on the 2nd and 3rd slabs from the right. See the big chunk of metal in the top corner of the slabs....its has a glare on it. I don't know what it was but its staying.

https://youtu.be/wi1KdpX7H9Y

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

I'd ditch that leaf blower for a flame thrower.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

cutterboy

WOW! I've seen ants in a log before but never that many. :o :o :o
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

AnthonyW

I would get some terro ant traps and place around the shed. You don't want them making the shed into a snack.

We split firewood for my father. When we come across a log with ants in it we pile in on the other side fo the road (only houses on one side of the street. The wood always disappears. I wonder how many are surprised by the extra friends they have brought home. hahaha.  :D :D :D
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

gfadvm

That number of ants in a log is common here in standing dead blackjack and cherry. I have never seen any in my drying barn as they seem to leave as soon as the log is milled. Haven't had them bite but then I don't own a pair of shorts :)

mad murdock

Carpenter ants!  I hope your house is far away. I would have been spraying them ants with soapy water, it kills them.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

WDH

Poor little ants  :).  Just trying to make a living.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

justallan1

You keep your ants, David.
Right now my mill is in my shop and on it's trailer and jack stands, of coarse I run it out of gas mid cut, so here I'm straddling a burl and standing on the tracks, trying to not spill gas all over and on the hot muffler and smack dab between my shoulder blades one of these big black SOBs bites me. If I would have flinched I'm pretty confident somehow I'd been on my back, one leg stuck between the tracks and the burl, with gas all over the darn place.
DANG-IT! I love this sport.

Nomad

Nice Cedar slabs!  I've never seen quite that many ants in a cedar log before.  Judging by the wings on a lot of 'em, they were about to swarm when you interrupted their plans.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

kelLOGg

Sometimes an ant nest in cedar can be beautiful...

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Hilltop366

It made some interesting lumber!

I through a piece of firewood (from the cold outside) in my indoor furnace once that had ants in it. In short order it warmed up and the ants came alive and started to crawl out the furnace, I spent the next 1/2 hour in the furnace room stomping on ants. Now if i see any thing that looks like a ant hole in a log I will keep cutting blocks off of it in the woods until I'm above the nest.

wolf nemeth

last summer I cut several large ERCs on my farm. All but one of them had those huge ants  in the center of the trunk, up to about 6-7 feet they seem to just move in when a cedar reaches the right size for lumber....
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

Brad_bb

So new to milling over the last year.  I've run into carpenter and nests in logs (not as many as in this video though).  I've got a sprayer nearby with Dragnet, a commercial synthetic permetherin.  My mill is also in my shop.  If I see ants start coming out, I hit the wood with the spray.  Do you guys do anything different?  Hard to believe Soapy water would be very effective?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

21incher

Nice slabs, but next time I would use a shop vac to clean them up. Aren't the ones with wings termites? :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 21incher on June 06, 2015, 07:05:57 PM
Nice slabs, but next time I would use a shop vac to clean them up. Aren't the ones with wings termites? :)

No, the ones with the wings go and build new nest......just what I was told.

Dave Shepard

A friend of mine uses borax for ants. He says it dissolves their little exoskeletons.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

wwsjr

I sawed a 20" cypress yesterday that had almost as many in the heart. No visible sign outside. Had a pattern in 1" boards almost like Kellogg's post
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH

They like cedar because they can easily excavate their tunnels in the doty rot in the heart.  They like cherry, too.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Been there and seen that many times.  Even more ants a couple of times this year.   :-\

Just saw and keep going, but brush any off that get on you.  Them devils will bite.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

drobertson

Yea, that video brings back a few horrible memories of them critters,  I like to kill'em before they all get out, I keep an extra mix of the blade lube handy, and poor it in wherever they start coming out.  And I wait,  I don't want them things starting a new life around my place.  And the myth about cedar being immune to insects,  :D :D :D 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

LeeB

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 06, 2015, 08:32:07 PM
Quote from: wwsjr on June 06, 2015, 07:56:58 PM

..............Kellogg's post.

2 different cereal companies.  ;D

And then for the more aged among us there is old goatmeal.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Left Coast Chris

We get them in manzanita burls and there is a black color around their tunnels that make for some beautiful wood.  You have a rare find...... the wood is beautiful.   Maybe some book matched table tops with bow ties...... drool....

HOWEVER.............by the looks of it this is a real biological quagmire.   Not sure if it was the filming and the close ups but they are HUGE.  Maybe MUTANTS and in very LARGE numbers.    The whole operation needs to be QUARANTENED, certified pest control advisor, pest control plan, documented extermination actions,  and likely years of monitoring.   Better sell some equipment.......
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Thank You Sponsors!