iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dulling chains

Started by dalt22, June 05, 2015, 11:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalt22

Hey guys new to the forum, thought I'd throw a question out there.  Have a echo cs370 16" bar that has recently been eating chains rather quickly!  I've changed bar out and made sure chain wasn't hitting anything abnormal.  Any suggestions would be appreciated! 

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Tell us more about what is specific about your "dull" chain.

Meaning the teeth are becoming dull after they are sharpened?
Cannot tell from your description just what might be causing a problem.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dalt22

Ya teeth dull to point it won't cut .  When it was new I could cut up a whole tree before sharpening now it's like I start breaking a sweat and have to quit to sharpen? 

beenthere

Then I don't understand why you changed the bar out.

But sounds like you are trying to cut something other than wood. Like letting the tip run down in the dirt.  Dulls the teeth very fast.

Tell us a bit about what you are cutting (logs, railroad ties, etc.? ) and how you sharpen the chain.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dalt22

Changed bar to c if it was the problem.  Im cutting mostly oak on my place.  Some trees I'm cutting I couldn't tell Ya what they are?  Sorry not up to par on my trees.  Thanks

dalt22

Oh and use electric sharpener I picked up at atwoods.  Think it's Oregon brand.

beenthere

Ok.  Some good pics of the teeth after sharpening will help.
Or take the chain to a dealer for them to critique the sharpening job should help you too.
And never let the chain near dirt, be it in the bark or on the ground.
south central Wisconsin

dalt22

I'm sure ive hit some dirt in my 2 yrs of ownership but I make a serious effort not to!

dalt22

Considering switching dealers since you've Been more helpful than them in trying to figure out problem.  They kinda shrug shoulders and don't say much?

lumberjack48

This is not a joke, i seen a guy doing this at a wood cutting bee. He was sawing away like a madman, the end of his bar was in the ground. I got him stopped and told him the end of his bar was in the ground. He told me that it didn't matter, he wasn't using that end.  :o ::)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

dalt22

lumberjack48

I think your grinding a little to deep, when you start cutting the cutter edge folds under
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

lumberjack48

Or you've got the cutter to hot and took the temper out of the cutters.

dalt22

Ok thanks for info.  Would there be any other explanation for a new chain and new bar to dull quickly?  Throwing plenty of oil, Wasn't in dirt?  Kinda at a loss I guess.

hackberry jake

If the drags are too tall, it will act sorta like a dull chain. If you have plenty of rpm but the saw wont cut, take a flat file and hit each drag two light passes. If you are stalling in the cut and bogging down, thats a dull chain.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

dalt22

lumberjack48

If we could see a picture of a cutter, we'll tell you whats wrong

treeslayer2003

plus 1, get some good pics up here. we can help you file better, i am like 48, i bet you have the wrong angles going on there.

dalt22

Sounds good I'll send pics tonight after work.

dalt22

Ok I'm getting an error on pic I'm trying to post?  Tried last few days and haven't had any luck.  Guess chainsaw isn't only thing I can't fix! Ha

booman

I agree with lumberjack48, with an electric grinder, you can take too much off and not at the right place.  If the tooth edge is too thin, it will not last.  Gets dull quickly.
2019 LT15G25WIDE, 2013 LT35HDG25, Stihl MS880 with 59" bar with Alaskan sawmill attachment.  John Deere 5045 tractor with forks, bucket and grapple.  Many chainsaws.

John Mc

It is easy to go too deep when using an electric sharpener, unless you have the kind that has a guide to set the depth. (I'm assuming what you are using looks more or less like a dremel tool, which may or may not have a guide on it).

Electric sharpeners can also overheat a chain in a heartbeat, if you are not careful. once that happens, the teeth can either get hard and brittle, or soft, depending on the alloy of steel, and how hot you got it.

I'd suggest starting with a new chain, and hand-file (with a filing guide) and see how that works for you. If you see a significant difference in chain life, you may need to brush up on electric sharpener technique.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

21ftnitro

Is that like when the tire is only flat on the bottom

CTYank

Assuming by "drags" "depth gauges" were being referred to a bit back, please do NOT just randomly file them down some. Tools for doing this precisely to .025" with oregon guide, or to whatever depth you want with Granberg "File-N-Joint" are so cheap/simple/precise.

When filing, keep ~1/5 of the file diameter above the top of the teeth. That'll give you durable cutters.

Your chain also may have arrived annealed (soft). This happened with an Oregon 3/8" LP chain I received on a PP4218 factory refurb. Cutting clean red oak, it needed sharpening at each fillup. New (also Oregon) chain, no mo problem- quich touch with file every other fillup, and cuts like razors. Oldie is now stumper.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Thank You Sponsors!