iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turbosawmill helps my friend in Vanuatu

Started by Okrafarmer, June 04, 2015, 02:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Hey, guys, I haven't posted for a while, since I haven't been very active in forestry lately, as the millennials say,  "for reasons."

But I thought you might like to see a picture of the big Benoir tree that came down a few months ago in a massive tropical cyclone that hit the island nation of Vanuatu in the Pacific. My friend Steve is a missionary there, and this 7-foot diameter tree blew down at the property their mission is located at. The folks from Turbosaw came and helped them out the last few days. That is one massive tree. Look at the improvised staging, too! The lumber will be used to help rebuild houses and other buildings damaged or destroyed in the typhoon.

At the bottom of their website http://turbosawmill.com/ Turbosawmill states they have donated one of their sawmills to the Vanuatu government. I'm not sure if that's one of the ones that was at Steve's place or not, but they actually had two of their Warrior sawmills at Steve's.

A lot more pictures are available of the operations on Vanuatu at Turbosawmill's Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Turbosawmill/1507538959457726?fref=photo
for those who do Facebook.

Anyway, I'm not certain whether the company is getting any kind of remuneration for their work in the islands, but it looks like they are doing at least a lot of it as a gesture of kindness to the poor people who lost their homes and other structures there---my hat's off to them!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mad murdock

Now that is a CHUNK-o WOOD!! 8)  Good to hear from you Okra :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Herb Brooks

Renumeration or not "That what you do for the least of them you also do for me".

Ianab

An earlier post from Jake
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,83439.msg1274097.html#msg1274097

They donated one of the mills, and the other was paid for by an Australian Church group. Either way, it's good to see the mills on the ground and doing some good.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

drobertson

Lots of help needed there,  good work for sure,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ox

Hearing about this makes my heart feel good.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

justallan1

An awesome act of kindness and one big darn chunk of wood.

Magicman

Thanks for that eye opener  :o Jim.  Okrafarmer and I had a nice telephone visit last evening and it was good to hear his voice.  He is not currently in the sawing business, but his love for sawing is still there.  Maybe someday.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Okrafarmer

If I had the money, chances are I would buy one of their Warriors.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Left Coast Chris

Hats off to turbosaw and our prayers go out to the people in Vanuatu.  Would love to see some of the lumber.  Looks beautiful.
Thanks for posting.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Thank You Sponsors!