iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

charcoaled bream?

Started by dnalley, June 04, 2015, 09:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalley

Anybody cooked Bream over charcoal or should I just deep-fry?  I am open to suggestions.  Do I need to batter or just cook and eat.  I have roasted trout over a fire on a stick while camping in the dark on a motorcycle and it was good...but I was cold and hungry in the north Georgia mountains.  Any good recipees?  Thanks, Dwight

fishpharmer

I have baked them in an oven.  I don't see why grilling wouldn't be good.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

DanG

Hey Dwight, glad to see you're still kicking! 8) 8)

I have a hard time getting past frying for bream, they're just so DanG good!  I bet they would be good grilled too.  I think I would baste them with some butter & lemon or lime juice.  ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

21incher

Could you please explain to this northerner what bream is. ???
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ianab

Quote from: 21incher on June 04, 2015, 07:32:31 PM
Could you please explain to this northerner what bream is. ???

A freshwater fish. Exact species seems to depend on where you live.

Probably also called Bluegill?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluegill

I'd think a bit of lemon and pepper stuffed inside, wrap in aluminium foil, and sit them over the coals for ~10 mins and they should be good eating.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dnalley

I guess I'd say it's probably a sunfish of somekind.  If they grew to the size of a bass it would take some serious tackle to put one on the bank, or in the boat!  Besides, it's like Dan said, they're mighty good eatin'.  Never tried grilling them, tho.
  Hey Dan.  It's good to hear from you and know you're still kicking, too.  Wonder how high??

WDH

What I have done is cooked them on the grill just to the point that the meat peels right off the bone.  Then, take all the meat off the bones and flake it.  To the grilled meat, add an egg (or two depending on the amount of fish), some salt, pepper, a dash of soy sauce, some bread crumbs soaked in half and half or cream (called a panade), diced onions ( a must!), finely chopped green bell peppers (if you like them), and mix all together.  Make patties, like croquettes.  Fry them to a golden brown

Grilling makes it easy to remove the meat from the bones and flake it.  You can also do this in the oven.  Also imparts a great smoky flavor.  It also meets DanG's fried criteria  ;D.  Works great for the smaller, hard to eat bream.  The meat is unparalleled in taste, not fishy and a little sweet.  About the best fish that you can get, just harder to eat conventionally since many times they can be small, at least around here.  My Dad called them stump knockers. 

Mmmmmmm.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Bream could be grilled, but I would suggest using a fish grilling basket to prevent it from sticking to the grill while turning.

Fish cooks quickly, so as soon as it flakes, get it off of the heat.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dnalley

Thanks Danny, that sounds like some tasty eatin'.  I'm gonna try that, maybe substitute some "Texas Pete" for the soy sauce or maybe just add a little...don't want to experiment too much.

starmac

The wife used to run the small ones through a grinder, bones and all. I am not sure what all she mixed with it, but made them like gar balls. I would even take cold ones with me for lunch.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

LeeB

Perch, or bream, might be a little small for filleting but with a fish big enough to fillet I like to fillet it off the bone and leave the scales on. Cook it scales down and slide a spatula between the meat and skin when done. Throw the scales and skin away.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!