iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Disodium octaborate tetrahydrate.

Started by Dave Shepard, June 04, 2015, 08:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Is this only available as a commercially made product, or can it be concocted at home? I'm thinking of treating all floor members of my timber frames, if not the whole frame.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jueston

tim-bor is 98% Disodium octaborate tetrahydrate i've never heard of it being homemade.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It is next to impossible to make it at home.  Some folks think that any "borate" will do, but that  is not true.  Your proposed use is perfect for this treatment.  Usually, with termites that live in the ground, a treatment of 4' or so in height is worthwhile.  You might consider putting some food coloring in the mixture so you can see where you have treated.  Of course, follow directions.

I also suggest that you put some termite bait stations outisde and then you will know if they are close to your home and can react appropriately.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

Check out Solubor.  It is 98% disodium octaborate tetrahydrate.  Another brand name is Beau-Ron D.  Also 98% disoduim octaborate tetrahydrate.  You can order these in 50# bags.  Half the cost of Timbor, which is exactly the same stuff. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

longtime lurker

Mix 60% disodium octoborate tetrahydrate with 40% boric acid by weight. Both are white crystalline powders, the octoborate is like fine sugar and the boric acid is almost fluffy.
Dissolve this into hot water to make a saturated solution. This is the mix we use in the dip tanks, and it's also the recipe of Timbor, and gives the maximum solubility of borates in water.
Both chemicals are readily available either in 40lb bags or by the ton.

If you want to start playing the glycol/borate mixes make sure you use propylene glycol not ethylene glycol. Ethylene glycol isn't real healthy for ya.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Ribsy

I would be interested to know if Solubar also controls mold as Timbor does. Mold is a real problem this time of year down south!
Engaged in tree work, tree removal, milling and and processing said product into high quality and well seasoned lumber slabs and firewood.

WDH

Timbor and Solubor are exactly the same chemical in the exact same concentration.  Read the labels.  Jut two different brand names. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ribsy

Any idea where one might find Solubar for sale?
Engaged in tree work, tree removal, milling and and processing said product into high quality and well seasoned lumber slabs and firewood.

Ianab

Farm supply store, with the other fertilisers.
It's used as an additive to fertiliser for making up Boron deficiency in the soil.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

You can order it from Meherrin Ag.  I know that they can get it for you in Hawkinsville, but that is pretty far away from you. 

SwampDonkey

I guess it's in the formulation as to how it penetrates and binds or persists. So I won't steer anyone astray here on Timbor vs Borax.

But, believe what you want, but we've killed several ant colonies (hills) with a mixture of Borax and sugar 1:1 over the years. Those that haven't used it don't know it's effectiveness. Borax will do a number on anything crawling or green. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Have not thought about spraying my lumber with sugar  :D.

SwampDonkey

The sugar mixed in is what encourages the ants to haul everything they can back to the brood. It's just the Trojan horse. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!