iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

big chestnut oak

Started by Birchwood Logging, June 03, 2015, 10:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birchwood Logging

Look at this nice chestnut oak that I'm getting ready to cut down on this tract of timber I'm on, don't see them like this much.

John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

hackberry jake

I'll bet I know which way it's going to fall  :o
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

treeslayer2003

bout time you came around. how ya been?

hackberry jake

Would you use a bore-cut on this tree to minimize splintering?

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

so il logger

That is a big ol' girl, take some pic's of her down  8)

thecfarm

That looks nice. A tree that size will take some room to fall it. My Father and me cut alot of white pine that size on this land. My Father use to say we need to cut a road to fall this one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

It is a shame to fell that old girl.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ga jones

It would be a shame to let stand and die.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

treeslayer2003

Quote from: ga jones on June 04, 2015, 07:47:21 AM
exactly. take it out n make room for a new one.

celliott

Quote from: WDH on June 04, 2015, 07:25:01 AM
It is a shame to fell that old girl.

Quote from: ga jones on June 04, 2015, 07:47:21 AM

:D
Foresters and loggers!
I see both sides of the coin. It's a very nice tree regardless. Would love to drop a monster like that, but I also love seeing the big old trees in the woods.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

ga jones

There are still lots of them in Appalachia. It's not like what happened in the lake states the plantation of the south and the north woods.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

treeslayer2003

Quote from: ga jones on June 04, 2015, 09:29:16 AM
There are still lots of them in Appalachia. It's not like what happened in the lake states the plantation of the south and the north woods.
trees grow every day. if we want to continue to have large ones, we need to leave some small ones to grow. leaving that tree will only ensure that it will be dead before that tract is cut again. and nothing will come up there until it is taken or dies.

Clark

Painting with the broadest strokes here, there are two things that limit the growth and development of any tree. One is the physical and biological agents present where and when the tree is growing. The other is the social or cultural restraints that people put on themselves (or develop in the case of technology). The most curious thing is that the social constraints are, by far, the most limiting to any tree developing into a truly old, large tree.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

hackberry jake

I usually scour the woods every spring looking for trees that didn't make leaves. This ensures that I am only harvesting dead trees. I can see where loggers wouldn't make any money doing it this way though. It's just how I manage my own trees. A woman once told me that what I was doing was wrong (as far as cutting down trees) and I asked her what her house was built with... she didn't say a word.

Birchwood Logging

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on June 03, 2015, 11:53:11 PM
[/quote
I've been doing pretty good hanging in there with markets dropping daily that's about all we can do
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

Birchwood Logging

Yes I will use a bore and back release cut on that tree I use that cut on just about every thing I cut.
Just wander if a 36 inch bar will be long enough

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Birchwood Logging on June 04, 2015, 06:06:53 PM
Quote from: treeslayer2003 on June 03, 2015, 11:53:11 PM
[/quote
I've been doing pretty good hanging in there with markets dropping daily that's about all we can do
every one keeps saying that but i'm not seeing it here........market is still strong here. wish i had a million feet of white oak to cut.

WDH

Quote from: Clark on June 04, 2015, 04:36:20 PM
The most curious thing is that the social constraints are, by far, the most limiting to any tree developing into a truly old, large tree.

Clark

Exactly.

I got some big ones that I will cut too.  Still, a shame to see them go. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

celliott

I did some timber cruising on old, former international paper owned land that had been gone over hard. Not very many big trees left, but there were a fair number of monster yellow birches I'd come across. Many were 36" or bigger, some 48"+....
Why were these left? I don't know. Maybe when they were harvesting those areas, there was not a good market for yellow birch... Now, they have no timber value and would be a chore to get on the ground, on top of making a mess. For nothing, basically.
Social constraints, like you fellows said.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

scsmith42

Man, would I love to quartersaw that beauty!  Chestnut white oak is one of my favorite species to QS.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ga jones

Yellow birch is worth 500 mbf here. That's more then pulp

Farmboy 96

Up here in Maine top quality yellow birch goes for like 2850 MBF and the lowest is like 1200MBF.

Ed_K

Rita says, to respect the trees, I need to honor them and cut them down when their close to their end and use them for something good.
Ed K

celliott

Quote from: Farmboy 96 on June 05, 2015, 06:17:56 PM
Up here in Maine top quality yellow birch goes for like 2850 MBF and the lowest is like 1200MBF.
Quote from: ga jones on June 05, 2015, 07:17:27 AM
Yellow birch is worth 500 mbf here. That's more then pulp

I didn't mean yellow birch isn't worth anything now. These trees specifically aren't. They are oversized, full of limbs, seams, half rotten, not worth it to harvest them.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Thank You Sponsors!