iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you cover your mill?

Started by 4x4American, June 03, 2015, 08:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

My mill unfortunately doesn't have a home (yet) over its head.  So, what I have been doing, is I put the console cover on, the big carriage cover, and then a big 20x40 tarp covers the whole thing.  I got caught with my pants down sawing out in the rain the other day, and I only put on the two WM covers.  I went and sprayed the rails with my blade lube mix cause that was all I had at the time (bar oil + diesel 50/50).  The rain was tenacious at times, which might have washed the mix off.  After 3 days of rain, the rail had a bunch of spots of surface rust.  When I have the big tarp on it, I never get surface rust.  But a friend of mine told me that the way his gramps keeps his tractors paint looking fresh is he never puts a tarp on it because it holds the moisture in.  I spoke with a WM service tech today and he recommended to just use my two WM covers and keep the mill painted with ATF.  After any sawing, I blow the mill off with powerful leaf blower and paint with ATF.  Another reason I like the big tarp is for security purposes, no passersby see a shiny WM they just leave it to their mind.  I don't worry about it much here at home, but I do when I'm out in unfamiliar territory. 

What say you, eh?
Boy, back in my day..

Ga Mtn Man

When I have to leave it out overnight I just cover the head and console, if there is a chance of rain that is. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

Since I am almost 100% portable my sawmill seldom gets to sleep under a shed.

It has to rely on these covers to keep the rain, etc. out.  I am well into my 13th year of sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I have a 16'x20' tarp to cover the head. The rest of the bed and 24' extension stay out in the weather.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Most mills are covered by:

One of our Sponsors.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

AnthonyW

I tried covering most of the mill in a tarp, but it sagged and the weight of snow or rain water tore the tarp quickly. I used the remnants to cover the head but could not do it well enough. So I just cover the engine now. I hope to someday have a shed to park it under, not only for storage of the mill but also its parts and pieces and to be able to do some milling at home in the shade.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Sixacresand

I got a 9 x 12 shelter that covers the head and controls.  It is a temporary shelter and it saves manhandling a tarp at the end of a tired day. And I have Margeson and Assoc. too.  I don't that coverage covers rain drops.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ocklawahaboy

I was using a blue tarp and then the wife sprang for the WM fitted cover.  I bought a 10x20 tarp-carport building but haven't set it up yet.

4x4American

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on June 03, 2015, 10:13:13 PM
I was using a blue tarp and then the wife sprang for the WM fitted cover.  I bought a 10x20 tarp-carport building but haven't set it up yet.

The WM covers are fitted?  I haven't been able to get my carriage cover to fit right.  It kinda sorta fits, but more like a hot dog in a hallway than anything else.
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

I just cover the head and controls with the WM cover I bought from WM when I bought the mill.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

This is how I cover my mill every night.  The console cover and carriage cover is underneath.  I guess its overkill compared to most!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Nothing is overkill when you think of the $$$ you spend to get one. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Brucer

In the winter mine is covered by the console cover and the engine cover. The rest of the mill is covered 1) miscut boards (to keep the tarp from collapsing), 2) a tarp (to keep the snow off), and 3) snow (a lot of it).

In the summer it's covered by the console cover. It'd be covered with sawdust, too, except I brush that off every night.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Kbeitz

I did it right the first time...
It stays on the mill at all times...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bkaimwood

I'm currently covering mine up with a pole barn roof...no sides yet, just put it up, got it under roof, and been too busy working to get back to doing the sides...up until December when it was used, I covered mine with one huge tarp, like a lot of guys do...the problem with this, is, that can actually be far worse for whatever it is covering, than not covering it at all. Like the original poster mentioned, here's the scenario...the mill is dry...It rains, and stops...now the mill is confined to a humidity chamber...the same is true after these warm, humid summer days and nights...so if you must, cover it for precipitation, but uncover it after the event, or in the morning after a humid night...I know, a real PITA, not realistic...its windy here in my little valley, so matter what I tried, the wind would either blow the tarp off, or simply tear it if it was tied down too well...as for the snow and rain, been there too, pools and pockets of snow and water in low spots too big and heavy to move, dumping all over getting everything wet, defeating the purpose in the first place....just a plain ole mess!!! My suggestion?? Start cutting and constructing the structure for mill, using the time and money you don't have, because you are too busy working your pith off to pay your bills and put food on the table...its tough to get ahead, but with patience and keeping your nose to the grind, having a plan, and a few beers, you'll get there!!! Best of luck!!
bk

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Verticaltrx

Right now I just cover mine with a silver tarp. I might switch to canvas, I think it breathes a bit more. It's important to keep everything that needs it well coated with ATF or rust preventative regardless if it's under a tarp or not. Moisture is an issue under the tarp.

Personally I believe that keeping the sun off equipment is almost as important as keeping the rain/snow off. The sun really deteriorates paint, plastics, rubber, etc.

Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Magicman

It's been said that the sun also turns WM Orange into a "Salmon" color.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AnthonyW

Quote from: Magicman on June 04, 2015, 07:45:35 AM
It's been said that the sun also turns WM Orange into a "Salmon" color.

Was that just for the old mills, or does the 'new' paint do it as well?

I can vouch for the fact a mill made in the late '90s will turn salmon pink (see pic left). I'm trying to turn the frame (which has many large rust spots) Rustoleum Lobster Red. It's looking good so far.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: 4x4American on June 03, 2015, 10:27:38 PM
Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on June 03, 2015, 10:13:13 PM

The WM covers are fitted?  I haven't been able to get my carriage cover to fit right.  It kinda sorta fits, but more like a hot dog in a hallway than anything else.
Just the head cover.  It fits real well and is reinforced where you would anticipate wear points. Came with a bunch of bungees but I don't need them because it fits so well and is so heavy it's not going anywhere.   I don't cover the rest of the mill.  Probably should but don't. 

Tom L

I keep mine in the shed now, before that I kept the WM covers on the saw head and the console

I cut some PVC that I saw another board member do here, put a slit in 1-1/4" pvc on my table saw, oiled the rails and then snapped on the pvc covers on top of the round bar rails, kept them pretty much rust free.

much better now in the shed

Chuck White

I cover mine with the Wood-Mizer cover that I got with the mill.

It covers the mast, gas&water jugs, engine, debarker and operators console.

The rail gets a coating of ATF when the mill is in operation.
The rail is some really hard stuff and I wouldn't really waste a lot of time protecting it, other than keeping the felt wiper pad loaded with ATF.

Question: For those of you who cover the Wood-Mizer rail (specifically), do you cover the bottom rail, it is exposed to the elements as well?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LittleJohn

Just cover the engine, with a canvas-type cover.

Controls are the old manual style, so never cover them.

Magicman

What you do not want to do is to trap water/moisture under a cover.  That would be rust/corrosion city.   :-\

WV Sawmiller

Chuck,

I'm glad you chimed in. I was beginning to feel guilty for not covering the rest of my mill after reading and seeing other people's responses. I believe Peter would almost take his in the house with him at night after looking at his high class shed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on June 04, 2015, 10:45:01 AM
What you do not want to do is to trap water/moisture under a cover.  That would be rust/corrosion city.   :-\

I absolutely agree!

If you cover your mill with a tarp, DON'T take the tarp all the way to the ground, that will seal it in and it will draw moisture from the ground.

Same principle as covering a stack of lumber.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

When I had an LT10,  The cover was attached to the head.

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

And now you have an LT40 and the only cover that you have is your hat??   :D

wolf nemeth

The first two trees that I cut after buying  my HD40  went to lumber for building the pole shed around the mill.....still just breaking even!
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

Sixacresand

Quote from: Magicman on June 04, 2015, 10:41:12 PM
And now you have an LT40 and the only cover that you have is your hat??   :D
:D :D  The mill not getting my cap.

Rougespear

Peter: Your shed looks very good!  May I ask the particulars about the front header (span = 45', what about beam size)?

I like everyone's idea about ATF on the mill... thanks!
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

stefan

In the winter it is usually covered with snow.  arg-smiley
My machine needs some shelter...

Edit: changed the text a bit.

Robert Owens

I keep my mill in the barn. It is a bit of a hassle backing it in and out and setting it up each time I want to use it, but I'd rather do that as opposed to letting it sit out in the weather. I just ordered my metal trusses and am building a 30x36 barn that I will be able to leave the mill in and cut lumber as well as stack lumber for air drying.

Ox

I use a tarp bungeed loosely around the head and carriage.  The track is exposed.  I put tennis balls on the tops of all the sharper stuff sticking up so the tarp lasts longer. 

I recently made some old fashioned oil cloth tarps I'll be using when this plastic tarp gives out.  Cotton duck/canvas drop cloth sprayed with 50/50 boiled linseed oil and paint thinner. 

I had an old army truck that had the canvas cab top.  I painted over it when I painted the rest of the truck and it was absolutely waterproof.  A man can buy a canvas drop cloth that house painters use and paint it thoroughly with latex paint and it'll be waterproof.  They did the same procedure on the rail cars in the old days but used asphalt/tar.  A decent roof for cheap is using old bed sheets stapled down to the roof and painting it thick with latex paint.  When the paint starts to show wear or deterioration give it another coat.  Just wet the canvas/cotton first and let it dry, it'll close the weave up.  To get a tight roof you staple it down dry, then wet it and let it dry and it'll dry taught.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

bkaimwood

You guys are gods compared to me... Set aside a little time and cut the lumber for that sawmill shed...kinda goes against what I said in an earlier post, but I took half a day today, and cut half of my barn siding... Putting it up is another story...
bk

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Rougespear on June 05, 2015, 10:47:49 AM
Peter: Your shed looks very good!  May I ask the particulars about the front header (span = 45', what about beam size)?

I like everyone's idea about ATF on the mill... thanks!

I'm not sure, I think 10" wide and 20" to 24" tall 48' long, all 1" thick steel.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

fishfighter

Built a portable shed to just cover the head. Was the first thing I did. If and when I build my trailer, then I will build a bigger shed. To many things in the fire right now.

Hookpilot

If you have any billboard companies around you may see if they sell the old signs (tarps) they remove. I have seen them on the web for $20 for a 12x20 I think it was.
WMLT50
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
                 -- John Quincy Adams

waho

fishfighter, that shed is portable? Is it on rails?

Thank You Sponsors!