iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How big would the bill be if you cut it?

Started by hackberry jake, June 03, 2015, 03:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I got an order from an older gentleman wanting 500 square feet of 1/2" pine paneling. He said the width doesn't matter but the wider the better. Most of these are around 10" wide. I quoted him .50 a square foot so my bill to him is $250. He was pretty pleased with the price and now he wants 1,000 square feet of oak at .75 a square foot. Am I close to what you guys would charge?

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

sandsawmill14

thats pretty much in line with what im getting for green log run lumber :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Nomad

I'm doing a tiny little job for a guy in the morning, sawing a couple of sinker pine logs.  Somebody else (I don't know who) said he'd do the job for $9.00 per B/F.  That's the second time I've heard that quote for sinker logs.  And not even the sawyer's logs!  I don't know who this sawyer is, but I do believe he's delusional!  I'll do this for my normal rates.  Sinker logs make special wood, not special sawing.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

drobertson

spot on there Jake,  have to ask, his logs or yours? Might make a difference, depending on log cost.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

CaseyK

Hi Hackberry Jake
Im glad you posted this because hopefully im going to be cutting some wood next hitch home for a guy and was wondering what the typical cutting rates were.
In the above example you said 500 square ft of 1/2"thick x 10"wide and I will assume 10ft wide would equal 250dollars / 60boards 10ft long x 10"wide = 4.16 per board
If you were calculating the 500 square ft into board feet would it be equal to (60 x 10ft long x 10" wide x1/2" thick)/12 = 250 board ft which would equal $1/board ft?
I am assuming that you supplied the logs, is that correct? If he supplied the logs and brought them to you what would you have charged assuming he wanted it all cut into 1/2" lumber?
How would the price differ if he wanted 1" lumber?
Or if he wanted it all cut into 2x material such as 2x12, 2x10, 2x4's ect?
Home built automated twin blade

hackberry jake

I supplied the logs, but all the pine logs I get are free. I have never bought pine logs. If he supplied the logs, I told him I would cut it for .30 a square foot. for 4/4 and larger I charge $1 a board foot if I supply the logs.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Peter Drouin

His wood $75.00 an hr . My wood $2.00 a sq foot
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

hackberry jake

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 03, 2015, 07:02:06 PM
His wood $75.00 an hr . My wood $2.00 a sq foot
It's interesting to see different rates in different areas. I am sure cost of living affects sawing rate as well as local competition. If I had said $2 a sq ft, he probably would have just bought his lumber from the box store. I believe the box store is higher than $2 a sq ft, but it would have been a higher grade and kiln dried.

Peter Drouin

I can't see the grade in the pic. But when I cut ½" stuff It has to be high grade, Or it will fall apart.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WoodenHead

Our dollar is quite weak right now (about $1 CDN = $0.80 USD), so prices have been changing.  Here's my Canadian prices at the moment:

If it is green or air dried pine I would charge $1 to $1.25/sqft for higher quality stuff.  If it was kiln dried I would be around $1.50/sqft or higher.  These prices may be going up if pine log prices change.

The oak price seems like a very good deal.  I now have to pay $1 per bdft just to buy an average oak log.  The good quality logs even higher.   :-\ 

sandsawmill14

down here we have a lot of red/white oak id guess at least half our logs are oak the lumber has went down to 550 a 1000bdft and it is hard to move at that :( that is for green log run lumber. i suspect the fas and veneer logs are still pretty good but havent heard anyone say lately ???

WV Sawmiller

Haven't sold any pine yet. I do have some excess tulip poplar and have sawed a couple of small orders of it for $.75/bf (I should say sq/ft as one guy wanted it 3/4" thick and I told him same price as 1" and he was happy with that). I also quote $.30/bf to cut their logs with them providing labor. I have neighbors cutting for around $.23/bf but they are stationary and I'm not inclined to lower my prices. Don't need the work that bad.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brucer

For Douglas Fir up to 8" wide, I charge $0.90/ft2 (that's about $0.72 US) for anything up to 1" thick.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ljohnsaw

Interesting thread.  My sister was thinking of making a rustic table with a live edge slab of some sort.  There are a couple of millers around that advertise on CL.  Bring your log, use ours or pick from the cut stock we have.  So she called one looking for some walnut.  They had some 2 to 2-½" stuff.  They gave her a bd-ft price but she didn't really understand what that meant - thinking sq-ft.  She figured for her little side table, it would be about $45 as it was about 3 sq-ft.  Then I explained what a bd-ft was to her.  They quoted her $15/bd-ft!!!!! :o  The little slab would be over $100!  If they are selling at that price, I better get my mill up and running! ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WDH

For a thick walnut slab with good figure, that is not too bad.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandsawmill14

red oaks lumber

we price "slabs" or mantles on a per piece price, not based on the board foot involved
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

I sorta do the same thing, but I use the BF price as a gauge.  Right now, I am pricing 8/4 walnut at 1.5 times the 4/4 price.  For a 9/4, live edge, wide slab, I am at 2 times the 4/4 price.  This is for kiln dried slabs.  So, if the 4/4 price is $6.50, then the wide, live edge slab would be $13/BF.  As a piece price, say for a 20" wide slab that is 8' long, the price would be $390.

Hack,

For my pine, green off the saw, at your scenario, I would be at $.80 per square foot depending on the quality (age) of the log.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

AnthonyW

My father purchased me a doyle based measuring stick. There is an eastern white pine log I am hoping to saw this weekend. According to the stick it contains ~730 bdft. Based on these prices, if I sold it at $1/bdft, that log would be $730? If I milled it for some at $0.50/bdft their bill to mill that one log would be $365? That seems like a high price to mill one log.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Magicman

To me, it's not the cost but the value added.  If the customer is value ahead then it is a good deal.  If he can buy it at an ~equal or lower cost then the value diminishes.

That applies to both sawing and selling.  The greedy can overprice themselves out of business.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

charging a $1 /bf for green pine isn't out of line. the cost of doing business keeps climbing higher and higher,faster and faster.
i buy pine logs around $.35 b.f. then i have to saw that wood so add $.18 b.f  that totals $.53 bf not every board can be sold ,some is not usable or undesireable but, you still bought it and sawed it which add to the cost.
like i told my banker several yrs. ago .if i buy 10 pens for $1 and mark them up 20% i know my profit margin. now add this twist which applies to wood,those same 10 pens i bought for $1 lets say only 7 worked but you still payed for 10, the math becomes a little merky. then the next group only 6 work ,you kinda get the picture. a 1000 b.f. of logs won't always yeild you all sale able lumber .
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Peter Drouin

Quote from: AnthonyW on June 04, 2015, 08:28:29 AM
My father purchased me a doyle based measuring stick. There is an eastern white pine log I am hoping to saw this weekend. According to the stick it contains ~730 bdft. Based on these prices, if I sold it at $1/bdft, that log would be $730? If I milled it for some at $0.50/bdft their bill to mill that one log would be $365? That seems like a high price to mill one log.

NH uses International ¼" log rule.  ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

AnthonyW

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 04, 2015, 12:18:56 PM

NH uses International ¼" log rule.  ;)

Figures.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

hackberry jake

that would be over a 42" diameter 8' log. Also white pine is cheaper than SYP. Figure the labor involved in felling and limbing the tree. Bucking the log, hauling the log, and milling the log. That price doesn't seem out of line to me.

Deese

I charge .75 cents/bf for pine that I cut and sell, and that's probably a little higher than what others around here sell it for... But I've never had a hard time selling it either...
If I had to cut 1/2" boards, I would either increase my bf price or sell by sq foot...just like you did.
I would probably charge .85 cents----$1.00 BF for 1/2" boards.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Thank You Sponsors!