iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tortoise vs Camera

Started by Swamp Cypress, July 27, 2015, 04:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp Cypress

A gopher tortoise investigates a camera at the entrance of it's burrow.

https://youtu.be/HYFRbuSU5bg

WDH

He/she knew that it was not supposed to be there.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

I love gophers. They made great pets when we were kids. Now Fish and Wildlife in Fla put you under the jail if they find you with one and you can't build on your property if an active gopher hole is there until he has been relocated. And you can't even relocate them until after the eggs have hatched and little guys had a chance to move on.

The last one I caught was in Albany Ga. when I was stationed there. Son was 6 y/o (He was 37 yesterday) and we were picking blackberries. Found the den about 250 yards behind our home in  USMC Base housing. I dug a pit and used old rusted 30 gallon trash can for pit liner. Covered it good and showed son how to do it as my old mentor showed me years before. Next day I called from home. My wife was going o go check and son showed here where it was. She went out with son and 4 y/o daughter. When I called wife and asked if we got the gopher she said "No. There was a rattlesnake there and I'm not going back." I went to check with a hoe as soon as I got home. Evidently the snake was denning with the gopher which they often do. Crawled out or back and fell in but had escaped by time I got there. We had the gopher which I dragged out with the hoe. Had my head on swivel watching for the snake. Filled in the pit and left the area.

Wife said when she went son was excited and ran ahead and the snake started buzzing and she screamed at him and grabbed daughter. Scared both so bad both were crying and did not even know what was wrong. Never saw the snake but I figure in the pit and loud echo contributed to extra loud sound. Kept the gopher for a pet for year or so until he escaped.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Swamp Cypress

WDH - It definitely seems like the tortoise was not happy having a camera there.

WV Sawmiller - That is a cool story.  Snakes love using gopher tortoise burrows.  A lot of animals do too.  In fact I believe over 300 different species of animals have been recorded using gopher tortoise burrows.

Thank You Sponsors!