iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

any boat owners here

Started by snowstorm, June 01, 2015, 05:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

every spring there is always something to do to it. new bottom paint every varnish the bright work every couple years. this year it was a couple of bigger projects. i replaced the head liner below decks. no fun at all to be had in that job. next was paint the hull. a few before and after pics

gspren

I have had at least one boat, often two, for the past 40 years but none as big as yours. An old saying " A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood into which you pour money", that's not always true, sometimes it's fiberglass.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

snowstorm

b o a t = break out another thousand. i shoot 3 coats of epifanes 2 part expoxy. came out ok it dose have a little shine to it

Sixacresand

I have two boats awaiting huge amounts of money to be spent on them.   :'(
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sprucebunny

I still have a boat but can't afford to launch it.

Spent too much money making it nice...

Nice looking boat and paint job !
I was sneaking around your area last summer...

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Woodhauler

I built my own redneck house boat!!  16ft wide by 24 ft long!  All pressure treated deck floated by 34, 55 gallon plastic barrels! Got a 6.5ft by 16 ft house on it!  Maybe I can send snowstorm some pictures of it! It will sleep 4 people.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

sandhills

You folks would laugh at the "boats" we have around here after seeing those  :).  The one thing I know, old saying, is "the best 2 days of your life, when you buy your first boat and when you sell your first boat", I've no clue who I was quoting but I believe them  ;D.

E fan

I'm boat poor, I'm have five last count, but their all flat bottom john boats

sandsawmill14

john boat here to ok for catfishing :)  great for duck season ;D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

snowstorm

Quote from: sprucebunny on June 01, 2015, 06:15:40 PM
I still have a boat but can't afford to launch it.

Spent too much money making it nice...

Nice looking boat and paint job !
I was sneaking around your area last summer...

belfast has changed a lot from what it used to be. 40 yrs ago it was tug boats sardine and lobster boats in the harbor now its 10 million dollar yachts

maple flats

I had a boat a few years back. We took it to the 1000 Islands. We launched it, and using the depth finder while going quite slow and a map, we headed to our destination. Watching the depth finder continuously, 192',188',206',194',0.00', ouch. The boat was a 19' Cuddy with a 90HP Evenrude. That cost my $675, new shaft, new prop, new rear bearings and seals + labor. I sold it the next year. Great day!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Stuart Caruk

We own several boats, but given that we used to build Aluminum Jetboats for the paraglider towing industry, all of ours were designed to work. It helps that they are all legitimate tax deductions. A couple years ago we started building parts for the developing Flyboard market, and oddly enough now own a 260HP supercharged Jetski that has more than enough power to launch my gravitationally challenged carcus higher than I currently feel like falling from. It is a great way to get the sawdust out of my ears on a sunny day though... my current goal is to reliably land a decent backflip, and finish up my remote throttle control so I don't need an operator on the ski to go flying.

Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

snowstorm

Quote from: Stuart Caruk on June 02, 2015, 05:31:16 PM
We own several boats, but given that we used to build Aluminum Jetboats for the paraglider towing industry, all of ours were designed to work. It helps that they are all legitimate tax deductions. A couple years ago we started building parts for the developing Flyboard market, and oddly enough now own a 260HP supercharged Jetski that has more than enough power to launch my gravitationally challenged carcus higher than I currently feel like falling from. It is a great way to get the sawdust out of my ears on a sunny day though... my current goal is to reliably land a decent backflip, and finish up my remote throttle control so I don't need an operator on the ski to go flying.

looks like fun. but i dont want to try it. you dont see many welded aluminum boats on the east coast. mostly glass along with a few that build in wood

kensfarm

We had a small fishing boat.. nothing like cruzing down the pataxent river as the sun's coming up.. headed for the bay for a day of fishing.  Trolling... hitting those blue's frenzy's.. we worked some crab pots too.  Good times.. 

Piston

Snowstorm, tell me about your boat? I'm interested in that hull.

Spruce bunny, any story to that tug?  Is TnT the boT you were talking about or a pic you took when you were in the area?

My "somewhat attainable" dream boat is a Chris Craft Launch (the newer ones without as much character :)

My "dream boat" is a 33' Fortier, built in Somerset, MA.

My completely unrealistic dream boat is a 55' Flemming. (Not that the Fortier is very realistic)

Currently my pleasure boat is a 22' Pontoon boat with a 115hp 4-stroke. Excellent family boat!

I grew up on numerous boats, but the current "family" boat (I.e. My parents boat) is a 37' Egg Harbor.

Currently, as I'm typing this, im on a 760' boat with 60,000 hp diesels.

"Boats" are sort of a part of who I am :)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

sprucebunny

Piston, that was just the most dramatic photo from that day. There was a huge sailboat there but just too big to photograph  :D
You can find my boat in our for sale section if you go back a page or so.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

elk42

Hurricane Katrina  Jefferson skiff 32'x12' rebuild.

After 18 months of work, 4 barrels resin and lots of glass, 6b cummins 210 HP.
alum. skimmer frames,
Now the rest of the story. A man called and he would like to see the boat. So I said ok the next day he came. The man looked the boat over about an hour and said is it for sale. I said no. He said would I take $$$$$.  My eyes nearly popped out and I said yes. { he had just got a settlement from the gulf oil spill. ]

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

beenthere

Turned things upside down a bit.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

elk42

Turned things upside down a bit

It sure did I got out about 12 hr. before it hit.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

snowstorm

Quote from: sprucebunny on June 06, 2015, 06:09:01 PM
Piston, that was just the most dramatic photo from that day. There was a huge sailboat there but just too big to photograph  :D
You can find my boat in our for sale section if you go back a page or so.
my boy got invited for a tour of a little sail boat last summer. he was on the dock with the dog. the lady that owned the boat thought the dog was so nice and asked he aboard. it was 98ft long built in new Zealand. i looked it up it was for sale close to 7 million

snowstorm

Quote from: Piston on June 06, 2015, 03:12:34 PM
Snowstorm, tell me about your boat? I'm interested in that hull.

Spruce bunny, any story to that tug?  Is TnT the boT you were talking about or a pic you took when you were in the area?

My "somewhat attainable" dream boat is a Chris Craft Launch (the newer ones without as much character :)

My "dream boat" is a 33' Fortier, built in Somerset, MA.

My completely unrealistic dream boat is a 55' Flemming. (Not that the Fortier is very realistic)

Currently my pleasure boat is a 22' Pontoon boat with a 115hp 4-stroke. Excellent family boat!

I grew up on numerous boats, but the current "family" boat (I.e. My parents boat) is a 37' Egg Harbor.

Currently, as I'm typing this, im on a 760' boat with 60,000 hp diesels.

"Boats" are sort of a part of who I am :)
its a 28 ellis. built in southwest harbor maine in 1984. ellis builds some really nice boats and they are pricy i asked about a 36 a new one is 800k

timberlinetree

Marcia loves this boat and its reliable. I had to fix some boards ,carpet and rewire but it has been fun. We hope to go out to day but the usual spot is down 5' so no boating.

My favorite is my raft( mass calls it a boat and have to reg it). Its quiet, maintenance free besides charging the batt. I like all the storage and the anchor bag. I take it to ponds/lakes but once I took it down the river. The neighbors asked how I got over the falls( which I didn't know about) and couldn't believe I did it. It was really scary and will never do that again!

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

JohnM

No 'real' boats here, couple of canoes and kayaks is all.  Enjoy sailing whenever I've had a chance.  It's in the blood someplace, my mom's cousin is boat builder Ralph Stanley in SW Harbor.  He's building and playing fiddles now a days, son has taken over the boat building.  My boss tried to launch his wooden sailboat in Belfast last week but quickly found a leak. :D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

red

Buy me a Boat   is a new country song by Chris Janson 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Babylon519

These are my water toys. The dinghy in the back of the truck is a sailboat I got when I was 11 yrs old. I got the 21' Maxum twenty years later, and when we sell the cottage on Lake Huron, I plan to ply the waves with a mid-thirties sailboat. "Mid-thirties" refers to the length and, based on my spending limit, probably the vintage too!  :D :D
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

Thank You Sponsors!