iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Horned gall wasp destruction

Started by CCC4, June 01, 2015, 04:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Been doing some logging up in Southern Illinois and was shown some extensive damage on Water Oak and Pin Oak in the area. I must say that I have never witnessed such timber loss...I see Oak bore damage all the time and thought that was bad...it isn't any where near as extensive as this horned gall wasp damage. The wasps attack all sizes of timber and kill the timber within a year. There are areas where it jus makes you sick to see such timber loss.

My question to the Foresters is, "What if anything can be done?" This destruction is going to eliminate Water Oak and Pin Oak from the area...and it won't take more than 5 years it looks like to me. Can aerial spraying be done? I hate to think about pesticides being dropped from the air...but I seriously doubt that this is just going to work itself out.

My other question is, "How come I have never seen anything mentioned about this damage??" We all have heard about EAB, Gypsy moths, Oak bores and Pine beetles...but for the World of me, I don't think I have ever heard anyone or read anything in discussion on this topic.

Thank you in advance.

so il logger

I will try to take some pic's tomorrow to post, CCC4 has been here in my neck of the wood's and has seen what these horned gull's are doing. It is sad to say the least, and the worst part is allot of our low laying river bottom ground is water or pin oak. And a large amount of the high ground fence row's and such are as well. The scenery is changing quickly

so il logger

These tree's were fully leafed out and appearred healthy last summer

sprucebunny

Sorry to see the damage.

The wasps have a 2 year cycle. One of the (short) articles says a predator may have been found on the galls.

Here's a couple of links if anyone is interested.

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/fjprw/downloads/5600.pdf

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/galls-oak
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

CCC4

Thank you for the link sprucebunny

Solomon

That breaks my heart.   I wish I had knowledge of such things and could offer up a solution.
   I will ad this one to my prayer list.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

mesquite buckeye

I've seen this in my oaks, but haven't noticed them dying from it. That said, when I see a tree that looks like that while thinning, down it comes. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!