iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM debarker alarm

Started by delvis, June 01, 2015, 09:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delvis

Before we bought our mill I thought the first thing I would do would be to take the alarm off the debarker because it is so loud.  Once we started using it, it was easy to see how nice it is to have a reminder that the debarker is on.

Our alarm just quit working the other day.  Now it makes a low humming shrieking sound.  Has anyone used a replacement other than what WM has?  Where did you get it, and how well does it work?

If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

Chuck White

I tried a vehicle type backup alarm, and it didn't work.

Go with the one WM sells for your replacement.

Something in the wiring is different.

I did cut the red wire on mine and put a small "out of sight" toggle switch on it.

When I have a customer (and/or offbearer) with little or no experience around a mill, I turn the alarm on and after a little experience is gained, I'll turn it off, because it is quite loud over on the other side of the mill.  I usually don't even hear the alarm over on the operator side of the mill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Mine went out and started the low humming sound. Yep....I cut the wires and have not looked back.
Its easy for me to see if the debarked is on or off.....I just look. ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Are you saying that the little horn thingy is supposed to make a noise??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I guess the next time I crank up the mill I will have to turn on my debarker and listen to/for it on the other side of the head. I can't say I have every heard it but don't have any plans to disable it at this time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

I only had the mill 5 min and I fix it. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Quote from: Chuck White on June 01, 2015, 06:06:39 PM
I tried a vehicle type backup alarm, and it didn't work.

Go with the one WM sells for your replacement.

Something in the wiring is different.

I did cut the red wire on mine and put a small "out of sight" toggle switch on it.

When I have a customer (and/or offbearer) with little or no experience around a mill, I turn the alarm on and after a little experience is gained, I'll turn it off, because it is quite loud over on the other side of the mill.  I usually don't even hear the alarm over on the operator side of the mill.

I like the toggle switch idea.  I've gotten complaints from the alarm before, as it was scaring animals, but I didn't want to disable it completely.  Seems like a toggle switch is in order for me!  Thanks!
Boy, back in my day..

Tom L

I wrapped mine in duct tape, now it only makes a low twerp instead of a loud beep.

I would say order the right one from WM

drobertson

Mine still works, and seems loud enough, I have thought about putting a light in the circuit instead, but never have. I sure would hate for someone to accidently get debarked by it. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

jkeith

Quote from: drobertson on June 03, 2015, 09:16:42 AM
Mine still works, and seems loud enough, I have thought about putting a light in the circuit instead, but never have. I sure would hate for someone to accidently get debarked by it.
:D :D :D I hate when that happens. I suppose one could replace the beeping with a recording of an hysterical women screaming "look out! look out!"

plowboyswr

Quote from: jkeith on June 03, 2015, 10:17:32 AM
Quote from: drobertson on June 03, 2015, 09:16:42 AM
:D :D :D I hate when that happens. I suppose one could replace the beeping with a recording of an hysterical women screaming "look out! look out!"

At the factory where I work they installed an alarm on a machine so that people working around it would hear that it was being started. They got they most annoying woman in the plant to record her voice. When it was played over the speaker at the machine no one could tell what she said, of course when the boss heard it once he thought a "dirty" phrase was said and promptly had it changed to a beep!  :D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

mesquite buckeye

I debarked a hardhat once before I figured out what that beeping is for. I'm glad it is there. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Sixacresand

I use ear plugs or muffs, not for the debarker alarm, but for the screeching sound when the engine engages.  very irritating.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

I use ear plus to try and salvage what hearing I have left.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Quote from: Magicman on June 03, 2015, 01:53:05 PM
I use ear plus to try and salvage what hearing I have left.

Me too.  But I'm strictly mobile, and I think that alarm is pretty important in my situation.  I've had a couple of complaints about it (from neighbors to the customer) but I think the safety factor outweighs their objections.  I wasn't shy about pointing that out, either. ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

4x4American

I disconnected mine today, because I've received various complaints due to it.  If I have a real green tailer I will plug it back in.
Boy, back in my day..

YellowHammer

Quote from: Tom L on June 03, 2015, 08:41:34 AM
I wrapped mine in duct tape, now it only makes a low twerp instead of a loud beep.
I used a few wraps of electrical tape until I got the sound damped to where it was loud enough to hear but quiet enough to not have my teeth rattle.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brucer

I didn't have a debarker on my first mill (which was set up behind my customer's timber framing shop). When I got the new mill with a debarker, I left the alarm connected for a couple of days. Then I watched one of the timber framers nearly step out in back of the shop's forklift as it was backing up. The backup alarm made exactly the same sound as the debarker alarm.

Folks had got so used to hearing the debarker alarm right behind the shop that they just started to ignore it. Everyone was pretty scared by that incident and I decided it was safer to disconnect the alarm. I spliced in a couple of plug-in connectors so I can reconnect the alarm whenever there's visitors around.

I devised a control circuit with a relay and a couple of push-buttons that will let me turn the alarm off (or on) with the push of a button. It will reset itself to the "on" condition every time the power is interrupted. That way it will always start off beeping and I will have to deliberately turn it off each time. Haven't built it yet because I can't find affordable (i.e. cheap) weatherproof pushbuttons.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

thecfarm

I have no idea about the WM alarm,but the forklift alarm you should be able to get one.I use to work at a place that the equipment made ALOT of noise. The forklift mechanic said he could put another alarm on the lift so we could hear it better. He said there are diffeant ones to try.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!