iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

womanizer onan engine

Started by Joey Grimes, May 31, 2015, 07:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

I just bought a 95 lt40 hydraulic with a 24 hp onan w 2400 hr it ran rough thought the valves were out of adjustment but compression test on one cylinder was 0 after tear down revealing a burnt valve I'm wandering if I'm wasting my money I'm going have close to 1000.00 in parts to get it running in top shape valves, muffler,carb,etc.A new replacement Koehler from woodmizer is 2100.00.what do y'all think?

94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

WoodenHead

I won't claim to be an expert in engines to help you out, but I must say your title is catchy "Womanizer" (perhaps instead of "Woodmizer"?).   :D

Welcome to the FF!

Joey Grimes

94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Shotgun

Welcome, Joey.  That's a Freudian slip if I ever saw one.    ;)   Don't try blaming it on auto correct.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

WoodenHead

Quote from: Joey Grimes on May 31, 2015, 07:58:27 PM
Autocorrect

Yup.  Happens to me all the time when texting.  I usually catch the changes before the text goes out, but some slip through.  Some can be rather embarrassing... :D

I'm not sure how prized the Onan engine was (perhaps others can comment), but my own personal choice in your situation would be to look at a new one.  I suspect the replacement Koehler has a couple extra HP?

fishpharmer

If I had the money I would go with a new engine.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Joey Grimes

Yea money kinda tight think we're going to do a valve job and cross our fingers

WH_Conley

I went with the replacement. Glad I did. The Kohler uses half the gas that the Onan did.
Bill

Joey Grimes

Is the kohler replacement fuel injection or carb?

Chuck White

Quote from: WH_Conley on May 31, 2015, 08:14:04 PM
I went with the replacement. Glad I did. The Kohler uses half the gas that the Onan did.

I went with the 25hp Kohler early last Summer.

It took me and my brother a little over 2 hours to remove the Onan and install the Kohler.

The Onan was still performing very good when I sold it with 2200 hours on it.

I also find that the Kohler runs on half the gas as the Onan did.

The 25hp Kohler is available with either fuel injection or carb.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don_Papenburg

If it has more than a thousand hours and you plan to push it hard get the new rods and pistons also .  My 420 deere garden tractor had a 20 hp Onen , the dealer told me to get the rod/piston setup because the rods were the weakspot and tended to break with extended hours and a new block/crank is costly. 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ljohnsaw

Interesting about the fuel consumption.  Funny title - I expect to see something about the engine only working for you wife :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

5quarter

Your wife or any other girl that happens by the mill.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Chuck White

Quote from: ljohnsaw on May 31, 2015, 11:20:13 PM
Interesting about the fuel consumption.  Funny title - I expect to see something about the engine only working for you wife :D 

True!

I used to go through 5 gallons, doing 1,500 - 1,600 bf and just a couple of weeks ago, I sawed 3,300 bf on 5 gallons.

Don't get me wrong though, that Onan has been a very strong engine in the past on my mill, and now is a spare for another Forestry Forum member.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome to the forum Joey Grimes.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Kbeitz

If you buy a new engine that old onan will bring you some bucks on E-bay...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Joey Grimes.  Yup, I fell for the "womanizer" too.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

If you're set on that strategy better stick to sawing to stay happy.   If not then suggest that a cute dog is more effective and cheaper.  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Leggman

I don't know if it would work but harbor freight has a 22 hp electric start engine for 700 bucks, And the one here honors the 20 percent coupon on engines. That brings it down to 560 dollars.
I have a hf 13 hp engine on my mill and I got it for less than 300 dollars. electric start and it runs great. Just an idea.
Dave

starmac

I am glad to see that your onan has 2400 hours on it.
I bought mine last winter, sight unseen and really thought I was buying something to rebuild.
I finally got around to going to pick it up a couple of weeks ago, and it turns out it has 881 total hours ago. the motor seems to be real strong.

My initial plan was to get the replacement koelher, and run the onan out on the edger that came with it, but needs a motor, now I am rethinking my plan, if these onans tend to get 1500 hours of use or more.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Delawhere Jack

Welcome to the FF. I'm running the same mill / engine combo. Last fall I picked up a spare/parts engine for $400. It's actually a Linamar LX990. It is identical to the Onan P24. Linamar took over production when Onan stopped making them. It has already paid for itself by providing a muffler and carb.

Search Onan in this forum. Many members have reported 6-7 thousand hours and more from these engines. They were designed for long term continuous use on welders, generators and such. The down side is that parts are getting more scarce.

I have no personal experience with Koelher, but ALL V-twin engines vibrate more than horizontally opposed twins.

Dave Shepard

The '94 LT40 I learned to saw on has about 4,000 hours on the Onan. It has never been apart, but had the oil changed very often.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Joey Grimes

I called onan Cummings today to find out they no longer carry valves so I guess a new 25 kohler is on way from wma

Birchwood Logging

The onan is a great motor the Kohler motor dont know much about but my 89 Lt 40 has the onan motor with around 5000 on factory build and still running strong
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

Thank You Sponsors!