iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What am I?

Started by pabst79, May 30, 2015, 10:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pabst79

A tree service called me this morning to get a few logs down the road, most trees were red oak, but this one they thought was basswood or beech? I'm not sure looks like cottonwood to me, but I'm not sure. By the time I got there they had all the branches chipped, so I could only find the one whole leaf. My neighbor was hoping I could cut him some big slabs, he wants to make something out of it for his mother in law (her trees). I have a 28" dia log about 16' long, I have know idea if its worth messing with or not? 

Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Klunker

Basswood, definitely not beech.
Basswood is in demand for carving and trappers love boards made from it, great for stretching hides on, pins/tacks push into it easily.
I assume its light in weight, if so definitely basswood.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pabst79

Okay, thanks guys! How far North does the basswood grow? And yes its half the weight of the red oak it was lying next to.  :D
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Yes, to basswood which grows within our northern hardwood forests.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!