iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how many of us are full time sawyers?

Started by sandsawmill14, May 30, 2015, 09:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

just wondering?  by full time i mean 40+ hrs a week and only income( barring retirement and pensions)  if its strictly sawing or logs to lumber or all the way to dry kiln / finished lumber counts full time in what im talking about but not factory or other jobs away from logs/sawmill/lumber business ??? :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WV Sawmiller

I must be listed as PT sawyer. Hoping to increase time spent at it but is not my sole or primary source of income.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Nothing that I do is full time.....including retirement.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I am, and it is hard, buy logs, cut custom, the whole ball of wax,  it is a hard hoe to row,  nuff said.
but would not trade it for the concrete cooperate factory work any day,  it's hard, but we eat good, and are happy.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandsawmill14

mm i think you count  :D :D :D

drobertson i know what you mean but i like it better than anything else i have done.

for the record i passed the 250,000 bdft mark with the b20 last week makes me sorta proud so i had to brag a little  :D :D :D

Percy

Quote from: drobertson on May 30, 2015, 09:47:13 PM
I am, and it is hard, buy logs, cut custom, the whole ball of wax,  it is a hard hoe to row,  nuff said.
but would not trade it for the concrete cooperate factory work any day,  it's hard, but we eat good, and are happy.
^^This^^
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

WH_Conley

Bill

redprospector

I've been full time, then part time, then back to full time, now it's part time again. Just depends on what it takes to keep the wolf away from the door.
My full time business is forest thinning and mastication. But that's way too dependent on government funding here in New Mexico. I'm trying to go back to full time on the mill, and part time on the thinning. I guess that in reality they're both part time right now.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

hacknchop

Im full time again now, a while back things got slow so i laid myself off but seeing as i kept showing up for work anyway i hired myself back,at least i think thats how it went. :D
Often wrong never indoubt

Cedarman

We keep 5 to 7 people busy in the sawmill.  Keeps me busy keeping those busy.  I may not saw, but I keep people sawing.  Most weeks put in 60 to 70 hours.  But that counts phone time and email time doing business.  So not all hard physical work.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

bkaimwood

Put me down for part time...part time working hard toward full time. Like D said, its TOUGH all around, but rewarding. Nothing worth having comes easy....
bk

Klicker

I was full time for four years. Then things slowed down so I started to make things from wood harvested from our Owen wood and sell it a farmers market. It has keeps us going I still do a small amount of custom sawing if they bring there logs to me
2006 LT 40 HD

Ron Wenrich

I was a full time commercial sawyer until I retired.   Also did and still do consulting, when the situation develops. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bandmiller2

It takes a good job to support a sawmill. Best to consider a mill as an augment to your income, be it an excuse to have a lot of spiffy machinery. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dean herring

I have a good job, gonna try to retire in 5 yrs. I'm going to get a mill as a hobby to start with, but hope I can make a little money at least enough to pay for it. Started looking at Tk 1400h but after thinking about turning a 36" log looking up to tk 1600.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

SawyerBrown

Part time here. Just the way I like it.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

ellmoe

If full-time is 60+ hours per week, then yes I'm " full-time"!  ;D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

red oaks lumber

our mill provides 4 full time employees later this summer it will increase to 7 full time
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

sandsawmill14

red oaks  sound like it going good.  there is only 2 of us now but in the next week or so i will have 2 more when we get the other mill set up and sawing :)

tule peak timber

Full time , if I also count the millworks shop , which depends on the sawmills. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

red oaks lumber

when you have no saftey net to fall back on ,your always looking and listening for another job coming along. most of us create our own luck ,both good and bad :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

tule peak timber

The way I put it is " We are each the architect of our own demise",,,,But then again I'm a pessimist . :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Bruno of NH

Not full time but an added benefit to my contracting work !
Selling lumber I have sawn to my building customers and making things in the shop to sell .
It's added another way to make some extra money for me .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

sandsawmill14

the woods have always been my safety net. i ve been in the industry one way or another for 20+ years  done set up and repair for the big mills for most of that time. had a band mill for the last 10 yrs but have only been sawing commercial since last fall. but anytime work got slow i always headed back to the woods logging. hope those days are over but i know how and still have my equipment but i lost 1 of my team of drafts and the other is getting old :( so guess i would just use tractor if i ever had to do any more logging :)

rwepinetree

Not full time yet still relay on my day job as an electrican , But the sawdust is in my blood I am working towards full time , Just need to make the next step and set up and do it,

Thank You Sponsors!