iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats a Healthy Climbing Weight?

Started by ReggieT, May 30, 2015, 03:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

I've got a couple of of Pin oaks in my backyard that have become a royal pain...and I'm contemplating on grabbing some spikes, rope, lanyard, and commence topping them...one is only about 25 ft...while the other is at least a 40 footer. I have great running Sthil 025 with a 14 inch bar w/chisel chain.
They are killing my backyard from a grass establishment standpoint and getting close too my house as in
"leaning".
Here is my dilema...I've only done very light & limited climbing...and that was over 30 yrs ago when I was about a 100 lbs lighter...I'm 53 yrs old ,6'4 and weigh in about 325 now, but I'm in pretty darn good shape.
I routinely flip/sling 100 -150 lb logs like they were rag dolls!

BTW...what's heaviest climber you guys have ever seen?

Any advice?
Thanks,
Reg

LeeB

I can't see you to judge your actual physique, But I can tell you that I am also 325 lbs at 6'4" and 55 y/o. Personally, I would advise you not to get into it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

I would suggest contact a tree service to just lay it on the ground, then you take it from there!

Climbing and cutting is a whole new ball game when compared to standing on the ground and cutting.

Just sayin'
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

OntarioAl

Hire a tree service. It is a one time thing, the potential savings verse the risks to your health are not worth it.
Al
Al Raman

r.man

I would borrow a climbing set, rated for your weight, and try out the climbing on a day when the trees can't be cut down. No witnesses, no great heights and a realistic self assessment of whether you can safely do it and if you want to. If the answer is yes yes then do it. But be honest with yourself.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

LeeB

I have to disagree with the no witness part of that. You need a spotter in case something goes drastically wrong.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

For sure there should be someone there. You can critically injure yourself just falling off the ground let alone falling from even a little ways up a tree. I think the title should be changed to a safe landing weight.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Just Me

I know I am too old to go up in a tree with a chain saw.

But my weight is climbing........ ::)

Magicman

Felling trees from aloft also involves much more expertise than climbing the tree.  Undercutting and topcutting becomes very critical in determining when a limb will turn loose and which end will hit the ground first.  Properly tethering the chainsaw is also a valid safety issue.

I am not questioning your expertise, just cautioning against the possibility of going beyond that expertise.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dnalley

Lot's of good advice here but what sticks in my mind is part of what r.man says----"be honest with yourself".

red oaks lumber

personally i do stuff like this :)the most important thing,don't put yourself in a position that goes beyond your abilities. everything is a calculated risk.
when in doubt back out :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Jeff

I spent 2 years walking around 3 trees here at the house trying to device a way to get them down without calling in a professional. I come close a couple times to do it myself, and each time that internal voice of common sense told me "Get somebody"   I finally listened to that voice this last winter and I'm glad I did. No injuries, no damage, no regrets. Just a little poorer. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ReggieT

OK, OK, OK already! >:(
I'm going to defer to wisdom and pay a professional climber or tree service to do the job.

Thanks for the various feedback :snowball:

r.man

After reading subsequent posts I will agree, for the test you should have a spotter, someone non judgmental who won't hold this against you in the future. Lets out all of my enemies and most of my friends but maybe you can come up with someone. As to the felling part I once chose to stay on the ladder while a top was pulled off a tall lombard poplar. I came down about four rungs, secured the electric chainsaw and solidly anchored myself. It still almost shook me loose.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

justallan1

Good call Reggie.
As simple as it may seem to look, anytime you are uncertain of yourself is a good time to get someone that knows for sure they can do it and if it's near your house and outbuildings make darn sure they are bonded.

Don_Papenburg

You could rent a Genie for a day . cost would be about $5000.00 less than a broken arm . and you could do other things that need done up high the rest of the day.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on May 31, 2015, 12:22:23 AM
You could rent a Genie for a day . cost would be about $5000.00 less than a broken arm . and you could do other things that need done up high the rest of the day.

Good idea.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

square1

Had a similar situation.  Called the pros with a bucket truck to take off the limbs that opposed the direction I needed the fell to go after which I could confidently put the trees on the ground. Was half the cost of renting a lift and saved me a ton of time.

ReggieT

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 31, 2015, 12:29:15 AM
Quote from: Don_Papenburg on May 31, 2015, 12:22:23 AM
YIKES!!! 5 STACKS!!! :o
Good idea.  :)

mesquite buckeye

If I get over 225 I can't get my climbing belt on. It is the biggest one I could find....
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!