iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting veneer

Started by opticsguy, May 29, 2015, 11:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

Really enjoy my mill and often think to try new things.  Today, was cutting some spaulted alder and decided to cut a 1/16"  "slab".  The first sheet was almost perfect, the second sheet, the blade cut through in a few spots, possibly due to a thinner cut or possibly due to some very slight waves in the previous cut.  All in all, very impressed with the possibilities.  More experimentation is needed.

Wondering if others are cutting veneer and what blades they use?   I am thinking a slower feed would also provide a smoother surface.

I am not in the market to sell lumber or veneer but might look at this down the road.  So, what is the market for veneer?
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

j_d

Hey I am new here but have read a bit about this.  Commercial veneer is actually cut with a blade that is like a knife, not a saw.  The log is treated/soaked to make it soft and then layers are sliced off (think potato).  There is practically no waste with this process.  With a saw, even with a small kerf you are wasting as much as you are getting. 

Now having said all that I see no reason you couldn't make your own and glue it up.  It might take some trial and error but I can't think of a reason it couldn't be done.  I actually have someone who wants a thin enough slice from a log to roll it for a craft project he has in mind.  I plan on getting him when I am sawing the right log for it. 

So, try it and remember to post pics.   :laugh:
God, Family, Tribe

Kbeitz

Hummmm.....
Another thing for me to try.....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

drobertson

On occasions I have to make a trim cut,  this happened yesterday while sawing out some 7/8" thick boards, I guess I got goofed up on the patterns because I had one board that was an 1"  with the stack I have going I just wanted them all the same, so I trimmed the heavy one back down.  I had to chuckle because the ole motto an old friend use to say when at the mill would be "thin as a dime, every time"  I took this quick pic not planning on posting it but since you asked, here ya go,

this one is 1/16". 

I've done a few back a few years ago for a guy, his wife was experimenting with making crafts, It works, sort of
they dry out and crack, but again I've never glued one down to see a finish product.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

scsmith42

I cut veneer with a dedicated horizontal resaw and a .035 thick carbide tipped band.  The bands cost close to $300.00 each, but the cut quality is superb.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

GAB

Using a 4* blade I've sawed some 5/16" and 5/32" thick cherry for a fellow for Shaker boxes.  He was impressed as to how uniform the material was.
I've also sawed some 1/2" thick yellow birch for paneling.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

redprospector

I used to make my business cards from "veneer" I had cut. I'd sand it down smooth with a RO sander, and then put a thin coat of poly to kinda seal it, cut them to size on a table saw and chop saw, then use the rubber stamp I had made with my info, and finish with poly. They looked really good. The only problem is that I live in a tourist trap uh, town. and the majority of the cards I put out were scarfed up by tourist who never came back through, and never used my services.
Paper cards are much easier, and tourist aren't attracted to them.  ;D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!