iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

b-20 struggling to cut cedar poles

Started by jerry71, May 29, 2015, 01:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry71

My b20 is stalling out while I'm cutting western red cedar poles. Blade is brand new speed is set at 2 or less . my tach is not working but I have it reved up pretty good, lubricating blade with soapy water , motor sounds fine , wood is dry any ideas? Should I do a compression check? Any help much appreciated

AlaskaLes

Our Mighty Mite (used) was having similar problems when we first got it.
Turned out that the blade drive belts were worn out and at full power it was running the hyd. pump just fine, but the blade just couldn't
keep turning in a heavy cut.  Took me a little bit to figure it out as the belts never squeeled or smoked.  The blade would just stop moving.
Maybe this is the trouble with your mill.
Probably not a bad idea to check the compression too, can't hurt.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

sandsawmill14

if it has the same valve as my 2000 model b20  setting 2  may be to fast if it is a very wide cut  when im sawing i set it wide open and control speed with the lever but my daughter (13yo) wanted to saw last friday and she killed the motor and it set at 1 sawing a 18" gum log.  i wondered if my flow valve was working right but i think it was just me . :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

dchiapin

have you checked the deflection of the drive belt from the engine? It is possible it needs adjusting. Another possibility is the drive wheel belts. Are they worn down too low? Also I have found if you use too much soap in your water mix, it can cause the belts to slip.
I went through this a few weeks ago on my B-20 and it was just a simple adjusting of the engine drive belt.

ladylake

If your motor is stalling out I'd check the gas supply first, clogged filter, cracked line, bad coupler, dirty carb, blocked tank vent. If just blade is stalling then a loose belt.  Western cedar poles cut easy.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!