iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric motor

Started by JHEPP08, May 29, 2015, 12:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHEPP08

Crazy question, was wondering if putting a electric motor is possible? I know you can buy them from factory , I just have lt15 . But have access to numerous electric motors like 7-12hp or so. My mill is stationary am I have proper wiring for it. But was curious how the clutch would work?

Thanks
Woodmizer LT15

Kcwoodbutcher

You don't need a clutch with an electric motor, you just turn it off.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Den-Den

Frequent starting is hard on electric motors, more so for large motors.  For motors 10 hp and lower, probably not a big deal IF you have adequate service and wiring to handle the starting current.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

WoodenHead

Quote from: Den-Den on May 29, 2015, 01:44:40 PM
Frequent starting is hard on electric motors, more so for large motors.  For motors 10 hp and lower, probably not a big deal IF you have adequate service and wiring to handle the starting current.

X2.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using an existing clutch if you are switching to electric (if I understand your question correctly).

hackberry jake

Ive been tempted to replace my 20hp gas engine with a 10hp electric motor for a while. Quieter and more torque. My mill slides the engine sideways to tension the drive belt so the clutch wouldn't be an issue.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

dustyhat

Not a crazy idea at all.

bandmiller2

There is no better power for a mill than electric especially if its in a building. A rocking motor base or idler to tighten the belt will work well. With a little thought you can have the conversion reversible. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

waho

I replaced the gas engine with an electric motor on my LT10, just bolted the electric motor to the engine plate. Still use the tensioner from the gas engine after starting the electric motor, no problems starting or stopping the saw.

dean herring

Glad to see some more opinoins on electric power. I really like the idea so you could close the shop doors in the winter. I priced a mill with electric power, was quiet a bit more than gas engine. Was wondering if  you could get it with gas engine and swap to electric without doing major modifications.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

JHEPP08

Ok, so you can't shut the blade off at all or can you keep the clutch? Does anyone know the comparison? I know you can't have to much power, my mill has a 14hp gas motor . So 10hp electric would be good on a LT15?
Woodmizer LT15

WoodenHead

Keep the clutch (at least I would).  I believe WoodMizer offers a 10HP electric motor option for their LT15 mills.  But...I would recommend speaking with WoodMizer to confirm how much your saw head can handle.  Electric motors can be quite heavy.  I think you would be very happy with 10HP electric vs 14HP gas.   ;)

dean herring

You will need 1.5 more hp on a gas engine
10 hp electric = 15 hp gas.

waho

More like 2:1 gas to electric

tmarch

Electric is roughly twice as much as gas, and 746 watts of electricity = 1 hp.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

dean herring

Electric motor
No refueling
No oil changes
No filter changes
Less moving parts to wear out
More HP
Quiet
Can easily run in a closed shop
Not cold natured
If a motor fails, not that expensive to replace

bkaimwood

Yup, all the above...I would have electric, if I didn't want to do portable sawing...more issues there...that's the only downfall I could think of, other than it being an upgrade with a higher price tag...I would need something much bigger, so my downfall here is no 3 phase even close by!!
bk

hackberry jake

There are a few on here with large phase converters to run their three phase mills. I believe @Bibbyman is one of them.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

JHEPP08

Great input everyone I appreciate it. Does anyone have pictures of the electric set up? Specially if it's not a factory set up
Woodmizer LT15

Kingcha

I ordered my LT15 with the 10 hp option and I love it.   I do not cut a lot of big stuff but it has no problem going through knotty red pine.

Not sure if/how the clutch is different from the gas motors.   I disengage and the brake engages in about 5 seconds.   I try not to turn off the motor unless its going to be off for more then 5 minutes

matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!