iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For newbie sawmill owners

Started by drobertson, May 28, 2015, 08:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

symamania

Gday Lads

Well I got my chainsaw, I got my mill. (stihl 076 and a 36" Granberg mk 3) now just need to sort the chain is it best to go skip ripping chain or just normal ripping chain..

*DanG I love this forum

symamania

do I need to remove the dog spikes from the saw?and should I run the saw at a 40:1 mix?

Ga Mtn Man

symamanie, please don't take offense but you really should start another topic to ask your question.  That way people that may know the answers are more likely to read your post.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

symamania

ok mate no worries thought it would come under the same topic

btulloh

As I guy who just sawed his first log on his new mill, I have to thank everyone that has taken the time to contribute to this forum.  Finding this forum has been a big help to me getting started.  Fortunately I realized right away that almost every question has been addressed already so I didn't have re-ask the same questions.  Searching the forum has produced a wealth of answers.

Working with the mill is the only way to find out what the questions are though.   I just sawed my first log and already I'm finding out what I don't know.  Yet.  Heck - my first cant started to release some tension on the second cut.  I've worked with lumber a lot, but this is the first time I've made lumber.  Dealing with tension release has always been part of the deal and over time you learn to deal with it.  It really made me think when the board stared to bow up from the middle, so now I'm searching the forum and thinking about how it's going to affect my sawing.  Time to search the forum.

I do know that you can work with a bow and you can work with a crook, but a twist won't listen.  Thanks in advance to everyone who's posted on this topic over the years.

HM126

gww

b
I have used the search and trolled this site hard.  There is however no shame in asking your spicific question even if it has been ask before.  I know some get tired of it but over all you get a faster and more compleet answer.  Many who have posted those previous threads will post a link to them and you are less likily to miss something.  I have found searching and trolling to be hit or miss at best and even though it might be redundant, when I ask my questions (many times showing how little I really know) I have did much better luck then searching for hours for something simple.  There are some very helpfull people here.
Just my opinion.
gww

Ps I also like when others ask questions that may have been coverred as I may not have even knew I also wanted an answer to that question.  Many times a topic that I hadn't thought of will promt a more thurrow search of on the same topic on this site.

deadfall

For the record, I did try to search my head stalling issue before I started a thread on it.  I probably used the wrong terms for what I was looking for.  The response was excellent, and progress is being made.  Thank you, FF.

I just wanted to say, I share that number with 47sawdust.  And at 68, for me, time isn't so much money as it is time.  I am lysdexic and was before the problem was even official.  I don't read as well as I write.  So, wading through reams of posts is not a productive pathway for this one.   

I never have been motivated to get much money, which is perhaps how my ex-best friend and ex-business partner ended up with my first Wood-Mizer in a gold mine/shaft kind of dissolution of our company.  I live among the clearcuts and saw no clearcut logs.  My intent from the beginning was to try to demonstrate that one can have forests and forest products without removing the forests.  Hence, my handle here.  I swore if I could ever afford another Wood-Mizer, I would get one.  I inherited a little pile of money and went shopping Craigslist for another mill.  I knew it would have to be a hydraulic, as I ain't in my 30s and going to crank that winch this time. 

At the moment, I have most of the materials (used trusses from Craigslist and the wood from three large second growth dead Douglas firs and several other large dead trees) to get my mill and tools out of the weather for the first time in my life.  I want to build a shop/barn with an 1,100 sq.ft. wood shop in the loft and 2,200 sq.ft. of hard clay floor below for the mill and metal working.  While much of it is still in cants, much is already sawed, stacked, stickered, and tarped (with sufficient ventilation).    So, I have my shop (some assembly required) and the site has been excavated.  This is pretty much the way I can afford it. 

I have to say, this community is showing me something I like.  I am very happy to meet you here.  Thank you all for the respect you show each other and the newbs walking in the door.

Now, you've all taken me away from the mill long enough for one morning. 

Love you folks. Thanks again.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Magicman

Quote from: btulloh on July 07, 2015, 10:23:51 AMyou can work with a bow and you can work with a crook, but a twist won't listen.

It's called a propeller.   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Your edger had a previous life ???  ;D  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

It got divorced, then re-married. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!