iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For newbie sawmill owners

Started by drobertson, May 28, 2015, 08:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I think I got a good idea what topic(s) spurred drobertson to start this topic and can't blame him a bit. Sometimes I just want to look up and hold my arms up to the heavens and scream " I GIVE UP!". I don't mind at all when new guys come on and ask questions that have been asked before. Sure, the question may have been asked before, but it wasn't asked by them. What is aggravating is when you get the type of someone that asks questions when they already have the answer they want in their head and only want you to verify it. They won't listen, don't care, or have total disregard to the experience here for some reason and when they just keep on and on with out listening, it becomes downright annoying.  Those of us that really want to help, and see someone helped, get turned off quick like with someone like that and figure those are the type that might as well go do it for themselves as that is the only way they will truly figure it out, if they ever do.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Jeff on May 29, 2015, 03:24:24 PM
I think I got a good idea what topic(s) spurred drobertson to start this topic and can't blame him a bit. Sometimes I just want to look up and hold my arms up toe the heavens and scream " I GIVE UP!". I don't mind at all when new guys come on and ask questions that have been asked before. Sure, the question may have been asked before, but it wasn't asked by them. What is aggravating is when you get the type of someone that asks questions when they already have the answer they want in their head and only want you to verify it. They won't listen, don't care, or have total disregard to the experience here for some reason and when they just keep on and on with out listening, it becomes downright annoying.  Those of us that really want to help, and see someone helped, get turned off quick like with someone like that and figure those are the type that might as well go do it for themselves as that is the only way they will truly figure it out, if they ever do.

x2
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Ox

x3

You said it perfectly, Jeff.  Thanks for that.  I would have rambled on incoherently to get those thoughts down.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

tmarch

Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Bruno of NH

Jeff
X4 on that !
When a new customer calls me up and ask me how I would do there project and I tell them the process  . Then they repeat it back to me word for word .
I'm done right then !! Why call me then if you already know how to do it .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Dave Shepard

I think I got a good idea what topic(s) spurred drobertson to start this topic and can't blame him a bit. Sometimes I just want to look up and hold my arms up to the heavens and scream " I GIVE UP!". I don't mind at all when new guys come on and ask questions that have been asked before. Sure, the question may have been asked before, but it wasn't asked by them. What is aggravating is when you get the type of someone that asks questions when they already have the answer they want in their head and only want you to verify it. They won't listen, don't care, or have total disregard to the experience here for some reason and when they just keep on and on with out listening, it becomes downright annoying.  Those of us that really want to help, and see someone helped, get turned off quick like with someone like that and figure those are the type that might as well go do it for themselves as that is the only way they will truly figure it out, if they ever do.

I suspected the same cause when I first read the original post. I have a friend that likes to say "Don't bother me with the facts, I have my own opinion!".  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Lets not overlook this part of Jeff's reply;

I don't mind at all when new guys come on and ask questions that have been asked before. Sure, the question may have been asked before, but it wasn't asked by them.
These are the questions that I was referring to in my Reply #15.  One rotten apple will not spoil my barrel.   ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

plowboyswr

Quote from: Magicman on May 29, 2015, 09:49:08 PM
Lets not overlook this part of Jeff's reply;

I don't mind at all when new guys come on and ask questions that have been asked before. Sure, the question may have been asked before, but it wasn't asked by them.
These are the questions that I was referring to in my Reply #15.  One rotten apple will not spoil my barrel.   ;D

And that I thank you both for. Three years ago when I joined I asked the same type of questions, now I am back on here after a two year break learning more.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

bkaimwood

Off topic but can't help but say one thing I've noticed in consistency... Hats off to Magicman... His responses are always on point, well thought out, and politically correct...I hate politics but MM is a true class act, and although I've only been on the FF for under a few months, and don't know the guy, he's a class act. Imagine that, classy and sawyer in the same sentence...carry on
bk

symamania

Thanks for the warm welcome guys I`ve been really enjoying reading this through this forum. I`m pretty locked into the price of a CSM and buying a second hand big saw. I`m about to start building a house for my self and nothing sounds better to me than cutting my own slabs for bench tops, table`s and anything else I can think of.

do you guys think if i was to buy a stihl 076 that would be a good choice. I`ve used chainsaws quite a bit as i`m a Gardener but they`ve been all around 50cc but I`ve never used a saw that big let alone seen one ahah

WDH

The re-sale value of a manual bandmill like the Woodmizer LT15 is very good.  It is also a fine lumber cutting machine, much, much more productive than a CSM.  You could use it for sawing lumber for your home build, then sell it.  There are some other manual bandmills that could also work just as well.  You can look at some of them by clicking on the sponsor banners on the left hand side of this page.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tmarch

For the $ and time and effort I'll second a bandmill.  I've done both and I can attest that you will be farther ahead with a bandmill or hire someone to cut it for you.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Ox

I think everyone will recommend a bandmill.  However, sometimes finances dictate a chainsaw mill for now no matter how much better a bandmill is.
This was me around 10 years ago.  I remember the need outweighing the want.  I needed lumber.  I wanted a sawmill.  I could afford a chainsaw mill.  Pretty much the end of that story!   ;)
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

arnold113

Sure glad to see this topic discussed. I had thought that it was just me that felt this way.  When a thread can go on and on and on and a person won't listen to what everyone is trying to tell them... Well it just gets old fast.  This forum is a really great place with a bunch of great, sharing bunch of people that just keeps on sharing their knowledge with us newbees no matter how many questions we ask, but when something like this happens it just has to help to get it out in the open.
I think Jeff and MagicMan has covered the topic better than I ever could. Thanks guys... As long as we have leaders like this forum has it will continue to be the greatest forum anywhere.  8) 8) 8)
Nuff said. Arnold 
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

Kbeitz

Nice to be talked about.... Yep... Thats me.... A newbee....
I have yet to cut my first log....
I got 112 post under my belt.
I've learned so much from the forum... Gotta say thanks for putting up with my questions...
I'm sure I got more.
Thinking your going to have to put up with me for a while longer....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

I work in a hardware store. I can think of at least 2 that come in and they have an idea and they want it a certain way and that is the ONLY way to do it. We are not a big box store and do not have every fitting and every gadget that has ever been made. I can make almost any idea work,but with only the items I have in a small store. I have learned not to spend extra time with them. It's not worth my time. Other customers are waiting for me.  :)
I myself do not mind the same question being asked again. A new member might have a whole diffeant answer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dean herring

I have got valuable info here already and am asking again. I would like to be able to cut wide boards, maybe 28 to 33" to make counter tops. That is why I am looking at a tk1600 , 20 hp electric drive. Thanks to all here for advice.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

dean herring

Not sure my last post got sent,so forgive me for asking again,plus I have another question.
Does anyone on the ff have any i put on cutting wide boards for counter tops.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Ox

Cut 'em thick, seal the ends up, sticker and stack with weight on top and hope for the best.  Come back in a year and re saw them to the thickness you want.
I've never made any counter tops.  This is just what I know to do if you want really wide boards.

azmtnman

I, for one, am very grateful that you guys take the time to answer my questions. You cut logs all day then VOLUNTEER your time helping us newbies out. I know in business that "time is money" and you guys freely give that to those of us who are new in the trade with no expectation of any return.
My hat's off to you all!
Matt
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Ox

That is one of the many reasons this is the best place on the internet.   :)

Ox

Something else to keep in mind is the search bar at the top.  Change the drop down menu to "enitre forum" and you'll get the vast knowledge and power of the Forestry Forum.
I've found many things using it and gathered all the info I've ever needed. 
This place is simply awesome.

bkaimwood

Hey dean...what species are you slabbin'? I do lots if slabbing...have a pile 6 foot high of countertops in the redneck kiln...stickered, waxed ends...doing a pile like that makes sure they are weighted good, but just in case, and for the ones at the top, I apply a few 6x6's for extra weight...
bk

Ianab

Quote from: dean herring on May 31, 2015, 10:33:58 AM
I have got valuable info here already and am asking again. I would like to be able to cut wide boards, maybe 28 to 33" to make counter tops. That is why I am looking at a tk1600 , 20 hp electric drive. Thanks to all here for advice.

What species you cut makes a big difference to how those wide boards behave. The easier to dry and more stable, the better. Cypress, cedar, walnut etc seem to give the best results. If a wood is naturally unstable, prone to checking etc, the larger boards just make the problems worse.

This is a destop to go under Lars's new loft bed that I'm building. It's Monterey Cypress, which is a pretty stable wood to dry.

I assume that's the sort of dimensions you are thinking?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ox

lanab - That's really cool.

I currently have a black cherry staged to go on the mill at 34" butt log and ending in a thick crotch 14' t'other end.  I don't reckon it'll come out as nice and flat as that one you have, though.

Thank You Sponsors!