iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For newbie sawmill owners

Started by drobertson, May 28, 2015, 08:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

After reading multiple threads on everything from how to cut a log, to how many boards in a log, to why is it not sawing correctly?
My only response can be, just saw and learn like everyone else has.  Not trying to be rude in any stretch of the imagination, just stating the facts.  Lawyers, doctors, welders and tool makers go to school, then learn by many ways, humiliation, trial and error, and lots of hand on experiences.  This really is the only way to learn, by mistakes.  It was told to me years ago, college is a great tool, but it only teaches one how to learn, not necessarily the craft itself.  This can only be obtained by personal experiences and mistakes after the foundation has been laid.  There is no magic recipe in sawing, at least what I have seen in 11 years of it, just lots of work.  But if it's what drives you then I say go for it. Just keep in mind, talking to a brick wall based on a  false perception will only bring frustration.  I say take notes, at least mental ones and keep on keeping on.  It really is a roller coaster ride.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

OK, I agree but only to a point.  I wish that I had had (Tom) the resources of the FF when I started sawing by the seat of my pants 13 years ago.  Oh my, how many mistakes I made, some of which had to rest overnight or even for a few days until I figured out what to do.

I regularly pick up tidbits of information on here that I incorporate into my sawing routine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

The first real whack of logs that I sawed were a tractor trailer load of walnut.  I made a number of mistakes, and as I still have some of that lumber, I am still living with those mistakes.  I did not know about the Forestry Forum in 2002. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

Learning from ones own mistakes is one way to do it, but I'd rather learn from the other guy's mistakes. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I did not even have a computer in 2002.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bkaimwood

I can't help but say, respectfully as always, and especially respectfully to the forestry forum, isn't that why the forum its here in the first place? For everyone to learn? If everyone should just go off and learn on their own, then why come here in the first place? Eveyone is here to learn, comment, and help...so far. If your tired of hearing about all the newbie questions, then maybe this isn't the forum for you...or maybe just stop reading and answering them. Everyone here, including you, was a newbie at one point. Don't be a hater because technology and the forestry forum provides help maybe you didn't have. I apologize for not holding back, and merely voicing my opinion I'm sure the majority agree with. If this post gets me in the negative, I apologize to the forestry forum and all its respected and respectful members. And thanks for the additional pic in my other thread Magicman, WM called today to request you for a centerfold...
bk

Ox

This place is great for people with poor memories and lack of intelligence to come up with different ideas for a single problem.  These people I refer to is me.  I tend to think of a solution in one way, then I can't seem to falter away from that into something completely different.  Folks here have imagination where I don't.  I love it here.  Thanks to Jeff for starting it running it and to all the admins who keep it going.
And thanks to all you guys who make it feel like a virtual meeting house like used to be in the old days.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Dad2FourWI

I love to read and learn from y'all !!!!

I wish I had more time to follow some of these threads more closely... but my farm-work gets in the way!!!! >:(

I read every question, answer (when my VERY limited experience can), and appreciate reading all the responses from the real sawyers!!!! (a rank I hope to eventually reach!!!!!)

Many thanks to all who share knowledge, experience, ideas, and __pictures__  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

-Dad2FourWI

LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

drobertson

Quote from: bkaimwood on May 28, 2015, 09:15:51 PM
I can't help but say, respectfully as always, and especially respectfully to the forestry forum, isn't that why the forum its here in the first place? For everyone to learn? If everyone should just go off and learn on their own, then why come here in the first place? Eveyone is here to learn, comment, and help...so far. If your tired of hearing about all the newbie questions, then maybe this isn't the forum for you...or maybe just stop reading and answering them. Everyone here, including you, was a newbie at one point. Don't be a hater because technology and the forestry forum provides help maybe you didn't have. I apologize for not holding back, and merely voicing my opinion I'm sure the majority agree with. If this post gets me in the negative, I apologize to the forestry forum and all its respected and respectful members. And thanks for the additional pic in my other thread Magicman, WM called today to request you for a centerfold...
Please don't misunderstand my post, I'm not always the most articulate, or politically correct.  All I am trying to say is when good information is given from the good folks here, I just believe that it should then be given a good solid chance, with what's learned stored back.  I've just seen a few that want or need to refute what knowledge has been shared and for whatever reason  and fight and  the advice rather than go the next step.  That's all,  I too have learned much from this forum, and have met some great friends in the process. I only wish I had known about the FF when I bought my mill, but in some ways kinda glad I did not, I believe the only real way of learning is by experience.  And it can be costly and frustrating, I mean no ill intentions to the new guys in anyway, I just say work on figuring it out on your own.  Yes, I like to have someone else make a mistake for me, but that's not learning, just my view..  I say make more dust ;D and it will work in the end.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dad2FourWI

Yes, I am guilty of "over analyzing".... we call it "analysis paralysis"!!!!

It does help to occasionally get a "nudge" and get moving....

Now, I think I will read some more.....  :D :D :D :D Just kidding!!!!

Cheers!,
-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Verticaltrx

Edit: After rereading this thread what I posted was irrelevant to the topic at hand. Carry on.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

drobertson

Quote from: Dad2FourWI on May 28, 2015, 10:07:18 PM
Yes, I am guilty of "over analyzing".... we call it "analysis paralysis"!!!!

It does help to occasionally get a "nudge" and get moving....

Now, I think I will read some more.....  :D :D :D :D Just kidding!!!!

Cheers!,
-Dad2FourWI
:D :D I was taught "Paralysis by analysis" ;D but the same result ya know, not much gets done,  just venting here and at the same time hoping new owners not completely buying in to the big money making scheme until  the bugs are worked out.. and let it be said there are bugs ready and waiting..

bkaimwood

Thanks for clarifying David. I'll admit, I was a tad offended...but mostly due to wording, not by your overall intention. I've been sawing for just over a year, so I consider myself new, but not altogether green to sawing... Maybe just a tint... Compared to the veterans, I'm still crawling. For the first time, I met a relatively local saywer and got a chance to see some of his lumber...I noted where the cuts were taken from, which indicated log position, planning, reading the log, and so forth. I noted silently all the lumber defects, loss, and quality issues because of decisions made, or not made. Nice guy, sawing for over 10 times, maybe 20 times as long as me. And my education is much farther along, mainly because of you guys. I'm an army of one, one man band. I've never had a mentor. I've learned the largest percentage of information on my own, through experience, trial and error, and yup, the HARD way. Aside from the learning, its a great place to meet new friends. This is the only place I'm allowed to talk about wood and not get in trouble for it...wife is tired of it!! The last post in this thread hit a very good point and topic, and hit it square on the head. With all the company advertisements, and creativity of humanity, and idealisms of starting your own business, the theory of buying a new sawmill, clearing land, making money with your new mill hand over fist, sawing for others, portable sawmill services, living the good life....you get the idea...has gotten, and is continuing to get more and more and more people into serious trouble. If you have never owned your own business, believe me, you have NO idea what you are in for...its much easier in some industries, but certainly not the general contracting, handyman, and sawing hybrid business I'm in. I'm not saying its not possible, as there are plenty of very successful mills across the country. But one's level of success and obstacles to become successful are, without a doubt, governed by one thing...your location...demand and number of sawyers in your area. Just saying be careful guys, there are plenty of manufacturers and finance companies more than willing to help set you up to live in the poorhouse.
bk

Peter Drouin

It would be nice if there was more full time sawyers on here. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

47sawdust

It seems to me that the Forum has become more popular with age.As Peter said more full time sawyers used to be posting.Now a lot of newcomers are posting and I guess I fall in to that category as well.What I would encourage new folks to do is search the archives for the problem you wish to address before posting a repeat post.Their is a wealth of info.here and most problems have been previously discussed.The forum isn't really a chat room,but it is social.It is good to welcome all comers but you do need to play well with others or the big bear from the north will GROWL.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Magicman

I doubt that there are many questions or situations that have not been addressed many times.  I see that multiple times and often within a few months and sometimes within weeks.  Those items may be boring or even frustrating at times, but they are still important to the person that needs an answer. 

Telling them to do a search may even be a turnoff for them because they may not be familiar with that function.  It takes a bit of time to learn all of the goodies that Jeff has incorporated within the FF.  It's easier for us to search and provide a LINK to that item which shows the new member that the information was already available.  That saves embarrassment plus is a learning tool, not only for them, but for us too.  Re-reading and reviewing creates a "V8" moment for everyone.

justallan1

drobertson, I agree with your thinking in the sense that we should be getting some hands on experience as we ask seemingly unimportant questions on this journey, BUT this forum provides a place to view many options to any given situation we may run across. I think this forum is priceless and (in my opinion) the single biggest and best place to go for info.
I do agree with 47sawdust about using the archives and will add that the search bar might ought to be used more often at times, myself included ;D, but not everyone has learned to use all the functions of this forum. I'm fairly certain I've asked what seemed like unimportant questions and really appreciate a place that I can get respectful answers for the simplest question I may have.

drobertson

This forum is a great place for sharing stories and the occasional trouble shooting issues that arise, it has helped me numerous times and given my some great ideas, what troubles me is when new owners fail to reach out to the manufacturer, and then come close to arguing
with the advice given by the ones they have reached out.   And as mentioned, the search function has to be one of the most helpful databases I've ever seen. 

symamania

Gday guys

new to the forum and looking into getting into milling. Ive been looking at buying a stihl 076 saw and possibly buying a Granberg mill. can any one tell me whether these mills are the go for a first timer or not much chop.

not having the best of luck finding a good second hand saw in western Australia with our high postage prices but will keep looking

Ox

Welcome to the forum, symamania.
Many people have started with a chainsaw mill for cost and to see if it's something they want to continue doing.
Then they'll end up with a bandmill.   ;D
I started with a Granberg mill years ago.  It'll make lumber.  It's very slow.  There's lots of sawdust.  It's loud.  There's around a 3/8" kerf every time.  It cuts flat through knots and everything.  It uses lots of gas mix.  But it makes boards for a cheaper intial startup cost.
I ended up with a bandmill.  ;)
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

LaneC

Ox, I love that avatar :D. Magicman said everything that I thought about on this subject. I am just glad doctors communicate with each other. I am sure they have times when they call on a colleague and ask about unique cases, and I think most of them study more than they practice. I hope this does not come across as rude. If so I apologize now. I cannot operate a mill physically now. One day I hope to, but doubt it will happen. If it does, I will hopefully remember a lot of the advice I got from this site. I will absorb as much as possible, and if nothing else, if I do make a mistake, I will probably say "I remember now what they were talking about", But maybe I will not make the mistake to begin with because I remembered the advice from here.
Man makes plans and God smiles

mad murdock

[quote author=symamania link=topic=83692.msg1278004#msg1278004 date=143

new to the forum and looking into getting into milling. Ive been looking at buying a stihl 076 saw and possibly buying a Granberg mill. can any one tell me whether these mills are the go for a first timer or not much chop.

not having the best of luck finding a good second hand saw in western Australia with our high postage prices but will keep looking
[/quote]

Welcome symamania.  Granberg makes a well built CSM.  I have had one for nigh on 10 years now.  It has milled a lot for me. I bought it as a 24" mill, then after about 4 years, I ordered new rails from granberg for it, to make it a 36".  since I have acquired my Bumblebee CSM, I don't use it as much, but it is a good tool to have, and if you are wanting to make your own lumber on a budget, it is not a bad way to go.  It is a lot of work, but can be made less strenuous by incorporating Will Malof's methodology.  He has tons of good tips and helps that make running a CSM a lot easier.  As has been noted in prior posts, do some searches on here for CSM or "Chainsaw mill", you will get a lot of good info.  If second hand mills are rare there, and you are handy with fabrication, you can look at building a Bandsaw or swingmill.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, symamania. 

AlaskaLes

I agree with both sides of this discussion.
Being a constant student of all things, I always do a lot of studying and researching to try and avoid as many pitfalls as I can before I buy the tools and turn them on
for the first time.
I do prefer to learn from others mistakes, as we all do.
That having been said, there comes a time when you just have to walk out there and turn the dang thing on.
In the end you just have to run it to learn it.   The motor skills/reflexes can only be established by repetition of a process.

Symamania, welcome to the forum, I'm pretty new here myself.
If you are locked into the price range of a CSM...it seems that they will do the job quite well.  They will definitely waste a large percentage of your log and are nowhere near as fast as a bandmill, but you'll still have lumber when you're done.
I'm certainly on the side of the bandmill, but we were committed to starting with more of a production machine.
I think if I was looking at a CSM, I'd check into that new electric Logosol mill that one of the Scandanavian fellows was posting about a few weeks ago.
No fuel costs; quieter; faster; and the lack of fuel costs would quickly start to offset the cost.
Good Luck
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, symamania!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

I think I got a good idea what topic(s) spurred drobertson to start this topic and can't blame him a bit. Sometimes I just want to look up and hold my arms up to the heavens and scream " I GIVE UP!". I don't mind at all when new guys come on and ask questions that have been asked before. Sure, the question may have been asked before, but it wasn't asked by them. What is aggravating is when you get the type of someone that asks questions when they already have the answer they want in their head and only want you to verify it. They won't listen, don't care, or have total disregard to the experience here for some reason and when they just keep on and on with out listening, it becomes downright annoying.  Those of us that really want to help, and see someone helped, get turned off quick like with someone like that and figure those are the type that might as well go do it for themselves as that is the only way they will truly figure it out, if they ever do.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Jeff on May 29, 2015, 03:24:24 PM
I think I got a good idea what topic(s) spurred drobertson to start this topic and can't blame him a bit. Sometimes I just want to look up and hold my arms up toe the heavens and scream " I GIVE UP!". I don't mind at all when new guys come on and ask questions that have been asked before. Sure, the question may have been asked before, but it wasn't asked by them. What is aggravating is when you get the type of someone that asks questions when they already have the answer they want in their head and only want you to verify it. They won't listen, don't care, or have total disregard to the experience here for some reason and when they just keep on and on with out listening, it becomes downright annoying.  Those of us that really want to help, and see someone helped, get turned off quick like with someone like that and figure those are the type that might as well go do it for themselves as that is the only way they will truly figure it out, if they ever do.

x2
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Ox

x3

You said it perfectly, Jeff.  Thanks for that.  I would have rambled on incoherently to get those thoughts down.

tmarch

Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Bruno of NH

Jeff
X4 on that !
When a new customer calls me up and ask me how I would do there project and I tell them the process  . Then they repeat it back to me word for word .
I'm done right then !! Why call me then if you already know how to do it .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Dave Shepard

I think I got a good idea what topic(s) spurred drobertson to start this topic and can't blame him a bit. Sometimes I just want to look up and hold my arms up to the heavens and scream " I GIVE UP!". I don't mind at all when new guys come on and ask questions that have been asked before. Sure, the question may have been asked before, but it wasn't asked by them. What is aggravating is when you get the type of someone that asks questions when they already have the answer they want in their head and only want you to verify it. They won't listen, don't care, or have total disregard to the experience here for some reason and when they just keep on and on with out listening, it becomes downright annoying.  Those of us that really want to help, and see someone helped, get turned off quick like with someone like that and figure those are the type that might as well go do it for themselves as that is the only way they will truly figure it out, if they ever do.

I suspected the same cause when I first read the original post. I have a friend that likes to say "Don't bother me with the facts, I have my own opinion!".  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Lets not overlook this part of Jeff's reply;

I don't mind at all when new guys come on and ask questions that have been asked before. Sure, the question may have been asked before, but it wasn't asked by them.
These are the questions that I was referring to in my Reply #15.  One rotten apple will not spoil my barrel.   ;D

plowboyswr

Quote from: Magicman on May 29, 2015, 09:49:08 PM
Lets not overlook this part of Jeff's reply;

I don't mind at all when new guys come on and ask questions that have been asked before. Sure, the question may have been asked before, but it wasn't asked by them.
These are the questions that I was referring to in my Reply #15.  One rotten apple will not spoil my barrel.   ;D

And that I thank you both for. Three years ago when I joined I asked the same type of questions, now I am back on here after a two year break learning more.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

bkaimwood

Off topic but can't help but say one thing I've noticed in consistency... Hats off to Magicman... His responses are always on point, well thought out, and politically correct...I hate politics but MM is a true class act, and although I've only been on the FF for under a few months, and don't know the guy, he's a class act. Imagine that, classy and sawyer in the same sentence...carry on
bk

symamania

Thanks for the warm welcome guys I`ve been really enjoying reading this through this forum. I`m pretty locked into the price of a CSM and buying a second hand big saw. I`m about to start building a house for my self and nothing sounds better to me than cutting my own slabs for bench tops, table`s and anything else I can think of.

do you guys think if i was to buy a stihl 076 that would be a good choice. I`ve used chainsaws quite a bit as i`m a Gardener but they`ve been all around 50cc but I`ve never used a saw that big let alone seen one ahah

WDH

The re-sale value of a manual bandmill like the Woodmizer LT15 is very good.  It is also a fine lumber cutting machine, much, much more productive than a CSM.  You could use it for sawing lumber for your home build, then sell it.  There are some other manual bandmills that could also work just as well.  You can look at some of them by clicking on the sponsor banners on the left hand side of this page.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tmarch

For the $ and time and effort I'll second a bandmill.  I've done both and I can attest that you will be farther ahead with a bandmill or hire someone to cut it for you.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Ox

I think everyone will recommend a bandmill.  However, sometimes finances dictate a chainsaw mill for now no matter how much better a bandmill is.
This was me around 10 years ago.  I remember the need outweighing the want.  I needed lumber.  I wanted a sawmill.  I could afford a chainsaw mill.  Pretty much the end of that story!   ;)

arnold113

Sure glad to see this topic discussed. I had thought that it was just me that felt this way.  When a thread can go on and on and on and a person won't listen to what everyone is trying to tell them... Well it just gets old fast.  This forum is a really great place with a bunch of great, sharing bunch of people that just keeps on sharing their knowledge with us newbees no matter how many questions we ask, but when something like this happens it just has to help to get it out in the open.
I think Jeff and MagicMan has covered the topic better than I ever could. Thanks guys... As long as we have leaders like this forum has it will continue to be the greatest forum anywhere.  8) 8) 8)
Nuff said. Arnold 
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

Kbeitz

Nice to be talked about.... Yep... Thats me.... A newbee....
I have yet to cut my first log....
I got 112 post under my belt.
I've learned so much from the forum... Gotta say thanks for putting up with my questions...
I'm sure I got more.
Thinking your going to have to put up with me for a while longer....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

I work in a hardware store. I can think of at least 2 that come in and they have an idea and they want it a certain way and that is the ONLY way to do it. We are not a big box store and do not have every fitting and every gadget that has ever been made. I can make almost any idea work,but with only the items I have in a small store. I have learned not to spend extra time with them. It's not worth my time. Other customers are waiting for me.  :)
I myself do not mind the same question being asked again. A new member might have a whole diffeant answer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dean herring

I have got valuable info here already and am asking again. I would like to be able to cut wide boards, maybe 28 to 33" to make counter tops. That is why I am looking at a tk1600 , 20 hp electric drive. Thanks to all here for advice.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

dean herring

Not sure my last post got sent,so forgive me for asking again,plus I have another question.
Does anyone on the ff have any i put on cutting wide boards for counter tops.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Ox

Cut 'em thick, seal the ends up, sticker and stack with weight on top and hope for the best.  Come back in a year and re saw them to the thickness you want.
I've never made any counter tops.  This is just what I know to do if you want really wide boards.

azmtnman

I, for one, am very grateful that you guys take the time to answer my questions. You cut logs all day then VOLUNTEER your time helping us newbies out. I know in business that "time is money" and you guys freely give that to those of us who are new in the trade with no expectation of any return.
My hat's off to you all!
Matt
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Ox

That is one of the many reasons this is the best place on the internet.   :)

Ox

Something else to keep in mind is the search bar at the top.  Change the drop down menu to "enitre forum" and you'll get the vast knowledge and power of the Forestry Forum.
I've found many things using it and gathered all the info I've ever needed. 
This place is simply awesome.

bkaimwood

Hey dean...what species are you slabbin'? I do lots if slabbing...have a pile 6 foot high of countertops in the redneck kiln...stickered, waxed ends...doing a pile like that makes sure they are weighted good, but just in case, and for the ones at the top, I apply a few 6x6's for extra weight...
bk

Ianab

Quote from: dean herring on May 31, 2015, 10:33:58 AM
I have got valuable info here already and am asking again. I would like to be able to cut wide boards, maybe 28 to 33" to make counter tops. That is why I am looking at a tk1600 , 20 hp electric drive. Thanks to all here for advice.

What species you cut makes a big difference to how those wide boards behave. The easier to dry and more stable, the better. Cypress, cedar, walnut etc seem to give the best results. If a wood is naturally unstable, prone to checking etc, the larger boards just make the problems worse.

This is a destop to go under Lars's new loft bed that I'm building. It's Monterey Cypress, which is a pretty stable wood to dry.

I assume that's the sort of dimensions you are thinking?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ox

lanab - That's really cool.

I currently have a black cherry staged to go on the mill at 34" butt log and ending in a thick crotch 14' t'other end.  I don't reckon it'll come out as nice and flat as that one you have, though.

symamania

Gday Lads

Well I got my chainsaw, I got my mill. (stihl 076 and a 36" Granberg mk 3) now just need to sort the chain is it best to go skip ripping chain or just normal ripping chain..

*DanG I love this forum

symamania

do I need to remove the dog spikes from the saw?and should I run the saw at a 40:1 mix?

Ga Mtn Man

symamanie, please don't take offense but you really should start another topic to ask your question.  That way people that may know the answers are more likely to read your post.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

symamania

ok mate no worries thought it would come under the same topic

btulloh

As I guy who just sawed his first log on his new mill, I have to thank everyone that has taken the time to contribute to this forum.  Finding this forum has been a big help to me getting started.  Fortunately I realized right away that almost every question has been addressed already so I didn't have re-ask the same questions.  Searching the forum has produced a wealth of answers.

Working with the mill is the only way to find out what the questions are though.   I just sawed my first log and already I'm finding out what I don't know.  Yet.  Heck - my first cant started to release some tension on the second cut.  I've worked with lumber a lot, but this is the first time I've made lumber.  Dealing with tension release has always been part of the deal and over time you learn to deal with it.  It really made me think when the board stared to bow up from the middle, so now I'm searching the forum and thinking about how it's going to affect my sawing.  Time to search the forum.

I do know that you can work with a bow and you can work with a crook, but a twist won't listen.  Thanks in advance to everyone who's posted on this topic over the years.

HM126

gww

b
I have used the search and trolled this site hard.  There is however no shame in asking your spicific question even if it has been ask before.  I know some get tired of it but over all you get a faster and more compleet answer.  Many who have posted those previous threads will post a link to them and you are less likily to miss something.  I have found searching and trolling to be hit or miss at best and even though it might be redundant, when I ask my questions (many times showing how little I really know) I have did much better luck then searching for hours for something simple.  There are some very helpfull people here.
Just my opinion.
gww

Ps I also like when others ask questions that may have been coverred as I may not have even knew I also wanted an answer to that question.  Many times a topic that I hadn't thought of will promt a more thurrow search of on the same topic on this site.

deadfall

For the record, I did try to search my head stalling issue before I started a thread on it.  I probably used the wrong terms for what I was looking for.  The response was excellent, and progress is being made.  Thank you, FF.

I just wanted to say, I share that number with 47sawdust.  And at 68, for me, time isn't so much money as it is time.  I am lysdexic and was before the problem was even official.  I don't read as well as I write.  So, wading through reams of posts is not a productive pathway for this one.   

I never have been motivated to get much money, which is perhaps how my ex-best friend and ex-business partner ended up with my first Wood-Mizer in a gold mine/shaft kind of dissolution of our company.  I live among the clearcuts and saw no clearcut logs.  My intent from the beginning was to try to demonstrate that one can have forests and forest products without removing the forests.  Hence, my handle here.  I swore if I could ever afford another Wood-Mizer, I would get one.  I inherited a little pile of money and went shopping Craigslist for another mill.  I knew it would have to be a hydraulic, as I ain't in my 30s and going to crank that winch this time. 

At the moment, I have most of the materials (used trusses from Craigslist and the wood from three large second growth dead Douglas firs and several other large dead trees) to get my mill and tools out of the weather for the first time in my life.  I want to build a shop/barn with an 1,100 sq.ft. wood shop in the loft and 2,200 sq.ft. of hard clay floor below for the mill and metal working.  While much of it is still in cants, much is already sawed, stacked, stickered, and tarped (with sufficient ventilation).    So, I have my shop (some assembly required) and the site has been excavated.  This is pretty much the way I can afford it. 

I have to say, this community is showing me something I like.  I am very happy to meet you here.  Thank you all for the respect you show each other and the newbs walking in the door.

Now, you've all taken me away from the mill long enough for one morning. 

Love you folks. Thanks again.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Magicman

Quote from: btulloh on July 07, 2015, 10:23:51 AMyou can work with a bow and you can work with a crook, but a twist won't listen.

It's called a propeller.   :D :D

WDH

Magicman

Your edger had a previous life ???  ;D  :D

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

It got divorced, then re-married. 

Thank You Sponsors!