iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidsteer grapple bucket

Started by Justify008, May 28, 2015, 05:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justify008

I'm looking to buy a newer skidsteer to use for my firewood business among other things and the local bobcat dealer has a used bobcat grapple that I was thinking of adding onto the deal its built heavy but it seems like the slats on the bottom are a little far apart I was just wondering for those who use a grapple bucket for firewood how far apart are your slats and do you get a lot of firewood falling through? Id like to start stockpiling split wood to season but that would require dumping it and reloading and I figured a grapple bucket would work best to keep the dirt out when reloading.

shamusturbo

Mine is from Loflin Fabrication and the material on the root grapple is 1/2" plate on 9" centers. Its an 84" wide model and is almost 900 lbs. Yes firewood does fall through it but not enough to get excited about. It is the best attachment I own. You can lift wood, push trees over, take out brush, shake out limbs and misc junk from dirt, the list goes on. There is a pretty good learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it awesome!!!
Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

North River Energy

I use an MDS mrb514 rock bucket with 2.5" between the tines.  Wouldn't want to operate without it. The debris goes through, but not the product.  Might add a grapple to it at some point for brush work, but don't need it for loading splits out of the pile.
+1 on both the learning curve and the value of the attachment.
Prefer loading with the tractor to the skid-steer.
https://youtu.be/FZjX7L7fYgU
(Used to be I could embed video. What am I missing?)

Justify008

Thats good I was a little unsure if after bouncing to the truck if all the wood would of fell out of the grapple skeleton bucket. I didnt have a tape measure but the slats seemed to be 6-8" apart maybe a little more definately a heavy built grapple. Now if only the salesman could find me a decent machine I'd be in business

North River Energy

FWIW:
I'd like the gap between tines to be 1/2" closer (@2") as my market likes smaller splits.
I dropped more wood with the skid-steer, and the short wheels meant that running over what dropped previously meant dropping more.
Also tore up the yard quite a bit, particularly if the weather didn't cooperate.
Not so much of a problem with the tractor.
The tine buckets have a 'long' floor, which kills quite a bit of loading height.  The vertical reach on the S185 was about a foot too short, so I'd have to rattle the bucket a lot toward the end of a load. Also had to switch from one side of the truck to the other, where with the tractor I could do the entire load over the tailgate.
Operators position at the stockpile is better on the skiddy. Better for dumping on the tractor.
Tractor is easier on the body, assuming clutch-free shifting.

If you plan on using the skid steer mostly for loading wood, I'd maybe buy the right bucket first, and then rent both a quick tach-equipped tractor/loader and skid steer and see which you like better.

I bought an old front-end loader, and so far everything's aces.

Justify008

I'm not a fan of tractors I'd take 1 skidsteer over 10 tractors. I've run both over the years and I'm much faster and easier for me with a skidsteer. I've just never used a grapple bucket for firewood always used a regular bucket and occasionally get dirt in the load and have to listen to complaints that's why I was thinking of using the skeleton bucket but wasn't sure on slat spacing. I could always weld in more slats to keep the firewood from falling through. Waiting on a price though the salesman I talked to hadnt been there long and I could tell dodnt know much because when I asked him for a price on the used grapple he told me 5k-9k  I almost walked away at that point but I knew he was just knew and guessing. Or maybe he thought I didnt know anything and he was trying to get me but id like to think hes an honest salesman haha

shamusturbo

Mine was under $2500 with hoses and flat face couplers. IMO, it is the best out there. I have seen a handful of other brands at various shows and around town and they aren't as heavy including the Bobcat and CAT brands. But on the down size, its 900#. What sized machine are you looking at? Wheeled or tracked?
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

Justify008

Quote from: shamusturbo on May 28, 2015, 11:02:50 PM
Mine was under $2500 with hoses and flat face couplers. IMO, it is the best out there. I have seen a handful of other brands at various shows and around town and they aren't as heavy including the Bobcat and CAT brands. But on the down size, its 900#. What sized machine are you looking at? Wheeled or tracked?

I just looked at their website. Do you have the monster root grapple or the regular one. I'm looking for a tracked machine T250 size or larger not particular on brand but the 2 closest dealers are bobcat and kubota.

brianJ

@008   Go with a rock bucket.   Tines are a lot closer and cost is much much less.  Even a bit more durable.

NWP

Here is one of mine. The tines are about 4" apart maybe. My other bobcat grapple has tines that are about twice as far apart. It is an older model. I don't know what they are asking for it but I would highly recommend it. I won't own any other grapple attachment. We have loaded hundreds of cords of split wood with both tine configurations and they work great. Tough as nails too.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

shamusturbo

I have the regular model, not the monster. It's on a CAT 287B which makes 81-ish(?) HP and is not bent and we have used it for everything. That T250 is pretty heavy, right? I love the CAT. Good power, great grip, sips fuel, and the best part is the control setup. Parts area a little pricey and the backward visibility isn't great either but the worst part is moving it. With that grapple, its in the 12k# neighborhood. You have to haul with a dual wheel 1-ton or better with at least a 14k trailer which --**to be legal- requires a CDL and combination registration. Not a problem for some but definitely some unforeseen costs......
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

Justify008

Well the bobcat dealer seems to be playing games so I think hes going to lose a sale. The local kubota dealer just took a 2008 new Holland c185 with 418 hours everything I want except its only standard flow but the price is right so I think that's what I'm going to end up with went and test drove it today but my salesman wasn't there so I have to call him Monday. They have a blue diamond grapple I'm hoping I can get him to throw in the deal and ill definitely buy it. So fingers crossed. Its a little bigger then the t250 plus its got the weight kit on the back but the f550 and 26k lb. Gooseneck should handle it.

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

shamusturbo

That truck and trailer will be plenty! Is that CDL, combo registration and all that jazz???

What about the C185--cab-heat-air???   Pilot controls or foot controls?

Loading onto a deckover trailer is a little hairy IMHO. Hopefully you have serious ramps on the gooseneck....
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

Dave Shepard

Quote from: NWP on May 31, 2015, 07:46:01 AM

The Bobcat grapple with round tines is a manure grapple. I borrowed one years ago that had only the seven main tines on it and it was the best I've ever used. It got traded off before I got a chance to buy it and I haven't been able to find another. Don't know if they still offer it new. It was great for logs and brush, never tried it with firewood.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

NWP

The ones in the pictures are industrial grapples. You can have tines or a bucket option.

http://www.bobcat.com/attachments/grapple_industrial

These are more of the manure grapples. They look a lot less heavy duty.

http://www.bobcat.com/attachments/grapple_utility

Dave Shepard

At the time, about 12 gears ago, the grapple in your pic was a manure grapple in the catalog. I don't remember the model number, but it did correspond to the catalog. Those lighter duty ones I don't think would hold up to heavy use in clearing work.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ed

I went with the Bobcat industrial grapple bucket. I prefer the solid bottom & back over the other types, especially when cleaning up brushpiles.

Ed

Justify008

Well I bought the c185 the financing went through today there delivering it thursday after they go through it. I think I got a fair deal 2008 new holland c185 418 hours with a bucket and a blue diamond grapple bucket and delivery for 32k. The only bad thing is the closest new holland dealer is about an hour away.

The truck and trailer is technically cdl A because of the weight its not to bad to load with the beaver tail and ramps.

red oaks lumber

i have a rock bucket with double grapples,you can do almost anything with it.
justify008
is the track assembly tight and in real good shape? my buddy had one of the same yr. and model. his first track assembly rebuild was just under 400 hrs. the second and final rebuild needed at 774 hrs. needless to say he traded it for a wheel skid loader and put steel tracks on it. just throwing some info your way
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

shamusturbo

That's a great deal for such a new machine!!! You will love the tracks! They are more aggressive than the ones I have and I have never had a problem with traction. Please post back with reviews and what you like and don't like!!!!!!
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

Justify008

Ya it seemed like a good deal to me. Especially because it was a one owner machine everything else the dealers had were all rentals and some people don't treat rentals all that nice. @redoak lumber I did read that they had track issues but if you look up any ctl somebody is complaining about the tracks failing  so hopefully your buddy just had a bad apple and I don't have the same experience he did. The tracks are in good shape now everything seems tight I don't think this thing has seen much work at all. Full cab heat and ac joystick controls standard flow auxillary on a foot pedal. Its got all the work lights turn signals beacon light windshield wiper 2 speed I could just sell my truck and drive this everywhere. The onle thing I have to out in is a fm radio and a cb radio.

Justify008

Well I finally tried the grapple out today doing firewood. I was using just the regular dirt bucket because it was easy to change between the forks and the bucket with the hydraulic quick coupler I didnt even have to get out and slide pins or hook up hoses. I sure am glad I bought it now though I can grab twice as much split wood with it over the bucket. And one full scoop of logs fills the arms on the processor made for a nice morning before I had to go to work. Here's a couple pics.

This pic was from a few days ago splitting some small locust for somebody now there's a big pile of red oak and maple behind the processor I really need to hook the conveyor back up.

lopet

Good choice on the grapple. 

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Thank You Sponsors!