iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log splitter build

Started by ktowne030311, May 28, 2015, 11:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktowne030311

Hey guys, this is the build I'll be working on over the next couple weeks. Need to get some hoses made up. Picked up the frame for $100 from one guy,  the anker-holth hydraulic cylinder for $80 from another, and the engine, Barnes hydraulic pump, valve, and resivour with filter for $275 From another elderly gent. I found and bought these parts on craigslist.

Honestly this is going to be pretty legit. You would think homemade, and assume all cobbed up. This will be just as good, if not better then a store bought machine. What do you guys think?

McCulloch 5-49, Ms290/390 frankenstein, 030av, 051av

beenthere

QuoteWhat do you guys think?

You asked..  ;D
For lightweight splitting, looks like it will work. The frame in the first pic looks like the weak link.
But time splitting on it will be the real test, and the only important one you need.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ktowne030311

The frame is from one of the "rapid splitters". It does look cheap in the picture, but I assure you it's not. The challenge is going to be cutting the CRAP off the back, right above the I beam. Then I have to extend it 1ft

beenthere

As long as you are "assured".   ;D 

... and it isn't a DR product. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ktowne030311

It isnt? I wonder who makes it then. They guy I got it from called it a "bull gear splitter" but when I Google it, the rapid splitters came up.

I couldn't build a frame like that for a $100 or less. I thought it was a hell of a deal.

Hilltop366

I'm not sure why, but my second hand 3 ph splitter does not have a very big beam but it has not been a problem, one thing that is different on this one than a lot of other splitters is the cylinder is attached to the beam from the gland end of the cylinder. I kind of like this for the reason that it is much sturdier than a cylinder that attaches at both ends when fully extended (1/2 the distance between attachment points).

Perhaps that is the same reason the beam does not have to be as big?

A short stick is harder to flex than a longer one of the same size.

The Beam is aprox 6"x 6" 42" long, it is made from 2 pieces of sheet steel bent in to a "C" and welded together.

21incher

I have to agree with beenthere about the beam looking a little lightweight for the type of splitter you are building using a rear mounted cylinder. It will all depend on your system pressure. It should be easy to beef up when you extend it. A plasma cutter or torch will easily remove those brackets. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

gspren

ktowne, what size is the cylinder?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

ktowne030311

@ gspren end to end it's 33". Shaft is 1 1/2". Not sure what the stroke is

ktowne030311

Anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of hose and fittings I'm going to need and use?

21incher

Quote from: ktowne030311 on June 04, 2015, 06:33:19 PM
Anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of hose and fittings I'm going to need and use?
It will really depend on your system pressure and the fittings on the components you are using. Surplus Center has a good selection of hydraulic fittings and hoses in their catalog with pressure ratings. I would avoid plumbing store black iron fittings on any of the high pressure lines and add a filter in the return line and a screen on the supply line. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!