iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

water tank replacement

Started by Qweaver, May 27, 2015, 08:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

The sun has worked it's magic on my water tank and I need a new one.  I've never liked the WM tank feed valve and I'm looking for a better metering method.  The WM OEM valve just does not work well. 
Suggestions?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

I use the WM jug and a common plastic faucet.  (no picture)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kcwoodbutcher

Go online to US Plastics. I replaced my TK jug with an identical one from there for less than half the cost. Actually I bought two because of savings in shipping. They have a ton of plastic valves to chose from if you don't like the one that comes with the jug.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Larry

I patched my tank up with duct tape to give me time to come up with a replacement.  I was thinking about some kind of stainless steel or aluminum container.  Maybe a pony beer keg.  One day I stopped at a garage sale and found the prefect solution.  Two Igloo 5 gallon drinking water coolers for $5 each. They had seen some use but I've had one in place now for 4 years with no problems.  Keeps the water from freezing in the winter and beer cold in the summer. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thechknhwk

Chuck White

My water jug is plumbed like thechknhwk's picture.

I use the WM open/close valve, then installed a metering valve in the line, a couple of inches from the main valve.

Really work's nice.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

homesteader1972

I use the WM tank and valve, but installed a needle valve to control the flow better. But I also installed a 12volt solenoid valve. Saves alot of time and lube, after everything is set, just flip the switch. I was wasting ALOT of time trying to fine tune the WM valve, always too much or too little. I ordered it all off ebay, and I dont think I have $25 in the valve, solenoid and toggle switch.
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

mmtrees

My container  is broken at the corners. Canadian winters do a number on it. What is a good replacement other than the Wm kind?

Southside

I use empty 5 gallon containers of mineral oil, heavier plastic than the OEM water tanks with the same inlet and outlet.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

I tried Uline Jerry jugs.  Same dimensions as WM.  They are junk.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

The 'secret' to making your water jug last is keeping it out of the sun.

Actually both of my jugs are covered and protected from the sun's UV rays.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

I ran the cutting head into the rafters of my building and cracked the water tank.  I patch it up wih flex seal tape.  Since then, I acquired some discarded chlorine jugs which I plan to repurpose into lube tanks.  At least they will be lighter to hoist up on the mill. The WM replacement is only $25 plus half more for shipping.

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

jpassardi

I fabbed linkage to a gate valve to turn lube on/off automatically with clutch lever. I regulate flow with brass boiler drain (gate valve) on red gas can which has better UV resistance.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

kantuckid

Google: "Reliance Aqua-Tainer". It's made in Canada. Mine came from Amazon as a warehouse return bargain. Sold many places as a camping jug for potable water. This jug is larger and far heavier plastic walls and has UV resistance too. 
It sort of fits the tray but mines never come out so a non-issue. Sits slightly skewed in the tray.  OE cap fits too and holds more juice than the WM version. 
My mills stationary but south end gets sun so jug needs a cover or better plastic. HDPE is not UV resistant in the OE or other clearish jugs like Grainger and U-line sells for much less than WM OE ones. I know they/WM need to make money but i need to not spend it when I have a better choice.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Nomad

I also use the Reliance jugs.  Get them from a local outdoor store.  They do last longer than the OEM jugs, but they're by no means a lifetime replacement.  I cut a ½" piece of wood square to sit under it.  Slightly longer straps helps too.  About the same price but larger and no shipping costs. 
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

JoshNZ

Is there any reason you guys couldn't be using aluminium fuel tanks or hydraulic oil tanks etc?

Southside

Visibility of the fluid level is my best guess. Tapping a plug near the bottom wouldn't be a big deal. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!