iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 440A info

Started by mjeselskis, May 27, 2015, 08:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeselskis

Looking for info on the skidder in the pictures. Curious on the approx year and details on what the trans is. Powershift? Also looking for an estimate on value, it looks to be real straight and well taken care of.

2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

treeslayer2003

i think they are manual shift. i think northman has one, he will be along.

David-L

Looks very straight for an A series. That is a  manual tranny. Check the cradle and run it in all gears, listen to the hydraulics and the blade should move somewhat quick as well as steer with no resistance. that lever under the dash is a hyd disconnect , handy for cold weather starting. Oh ya, hows the e-brakes and foot brakes. A 440b was my first machine and I pulled alot of wood with it. Can turn on a dime and with weighted rears They aren't to bad. like I said , looks real straight. 10 to 12k?
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

beenthere

One way to get info is with the serial number, then go to jdparts.com and to the model 440 and select  skidder . Then under the alphabetical listing, select D for Decals. All the decals show on a page with part numbers identified by serial number breaks. You can tell at what serial number the tranny was switched to what appears to be the Speed-shift (synchro range) tranny (s/n 50,000 - 200,922)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thenorthman

Tranny is a "syncro range" manuel, use the clutch for everything... neutral, is between L-H.  Only use Low to pull with, and select a range from the inboard shifter 1-3, 2-4, 5-6, 7-8 or some such, my labels are gone on all but 7-8 and reverse.  Should have a Park above the 1-3.  The manual says to always start in low and then shift to high, but really the only time you need to do this is 7-8th...

The Lever under the dash is do disconnect the winch, does nothing with the hydraulics, to disconnect the hydraulics you pull the front radiator cover off and find the thumb screw, "tighten" it down until you get a couple turns of resistance, once started "loosen" until it stops.

The brakes on the synchro range are a little goofy... there is only the one its hydraulic and works at the Tranny, if the motor dies you  have a few tries to stop it then your along for the trip.  Also the front axle has a locker that rarely works and the rear is spooled so if your standing on one wheel in the front and hit the brakes... nothing happens... (which is entertaining).  The hand brake i.e. the winching brake is not to be trusted, it has a habit of vibrating loose, so set the blade down on any kind of slope if you plan on hopping out and futzing around.

That 440a looks like its in pretty good condition, from pictures anyway, mine is in a little worse shape, that front screen is aftermarket, as well as the muffler, though it looks like it has working lights... for now...

The winches on these ole Deeres and be a bear to get dialed in, if your having issues with it 9 times out of 10 its just the brake is out of adjustment, otherwise they are rock solid winches.

I paid 4500 for mine, barely running (its much better now), but I've seen em go for 14k average around 8k out here, but this isn't really skidder country so they tend to be a little cheap.

By the way the synchro range transmissions have earned the name psycho rage for a reason...

And one last thing... the transmission uses the same oil as the hydraulic system, as in its all the same tank, the hydraulic pump is fed by a supply pump in the transmission, if the clutch is depressed then taint no oil making it to the pump, the pump will work for a while, and then start acting funny, so if you plan on sitting for a spell throw it in neutral and park, and let the clutch out so the oil keeps moving.

Just one more thing...

The tranny only holds about 5 gallons of fluid total and once you get about 2 gallons low, steering gets... interesting... so keep her topped up and try to stay on top of the leaks.
well that didn't work

thenorthman

Forgot about the age thing...

The A's were from like 1971-1976?, and yers has the devil horn blade so its likely the earlier years.

By the way them blades is brittle, and like to crack.
well that didn't work

AlexHart

I've got a soft spot in my heart for these 440 skidders.   I kind of grew up around them and know many a logger, some of them very successful now, that started out with a humble 440. 

I have a newer D model 440 with a grapple now but I sure wish they still had that winch disconnect lever like these old ones used to.   The winch driveshaft costs hundreds of dollars, is a bear to get replacement parts for now, and with the grapple you often don't even use it so it irritates me to no end to have the thing whipping around wearing itself out 100% of the time when the old ones like this you just pulled that lever and could disconnect it. 

Also if you acquire this machine don't winch with the machine in park.   Its very bad for 2nd gear and that's arguably the most important gear the machine has.   Northman is so right to not trust that hand brake also.   I had that pop out on my one time and I was very very lucky to not get hurt and/or have the machine go sailing down the hill because it just missed me and hit a tree after just 8 or 10 feet.   One of my closer calls ever actually... not a good feeling, nor a good way to learn a lesson.  Although believe me I learned a lesson.   

Alex 

mjeselskis

Quote from: thenorthman on May 27, 2015, 10:00:18 PM

The A's were from like 1971-1976?, and yers has the devil horn blade so its likely the earlier years.

Thank you, that's exactly the info I was looking for. Debating selling my old c5 and upgrading to this one

David-L

sorry for the mis info on the winch disconnect, my B did not have that. I did have a radiator screen that had a hinged door you could as said turn the pump off for cold weather starting. Those older 440's if good still bring good money here. Someone had made the door as to not take the rad screen off all the time in the a.m. when starting in extreme cold. I do remember bleeding out the steering and there was a sequence but that was long ago. If you get the machine I have a operators manual that I found recently with my manuals and would send you.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

snowstorm

Quote from: thenorthman on May 27, 2015, 10:00:18 PM

you covered almost everything. the 440 came out in 65 the 440a i always heard around 68 til the b around 72 with the c 76 or 77

mjeselskis

Quote from: thenorthman on May 27, 2015, 09:54:54 PM
Tranny is a "syncro range" manuel, use the clutch for everything... neutral, is between L-H.  Only use Low to pull with, and select a range from the inboard shifter 1-3, 2-4, 5-6, 7-8 or some such, my labels are gone on all but 7-8 and reverse.  Should have a Park above the 1-3.  The manual says to always start in low and then shift to high, but really the only time you need to do this is 7-8th...

By the way the synchro range transmissions have earned the name psycho rage for a reason...

And one last thing... the transmission uses the same oil as the hydraulic system, as in its all the same tank, the hydraulic pump is fed by a supply pump in the transmission, if the clutch is depressed then taint no oil making it to the pump, the pump will work for a while, and then start acting funny, so if you plan on sitting for a spell throw it in neutral and park, and let the clutch out so the oil keeps moving.

Just one more thing...

The tranny only holds about 5 gallons of fluid total and once you get about 2 gallons low, steering gets... interesting... so keep her topped up and try to stay on top of the leaks.

Is the "psycho rage" tranny a reason to steer clear of it? What are the typical problems, and is there any way to tell before buying?

The motor was apparently recently rebuilt, but I still need to get more info on the scope of the rebuild.

coxy

one other thing they WILL TIP OVER  on a hen turd thats why I got rid of ours  even had the tires loaded but know that im a lot older and smarter id like to get another one  they are a great little skidder as long as you remember they are small they will pull 3-4 trees per trip all day every day 5-6 trees your winching most of the time cause you cant keep the front on the ground   and there  great on fuel   price is what ever you want to pay I have seen some real junk sell for 10-12k  good luck with it if you get it

BargeMonkey

I will 2nd the lack of stability, but they are a good machine.

so il logger

They are good skidder's, the only issue we have had with the 2 that I have worked around was fuel filter's clogging up. That was probably just crud in the fuel tank. And as already mentioned they are not the most stable in the hills. One of the 440 I worked around would sometimes turn one way or the other when first started, I think it was a b model. May have just been that machine or may be common? I would not start that one without being in the seat

thenorthman

Quote from: mjeselskis on May 28, 2015, 10:51:00 AM

Is the "psycho rage" tranny a reason to steer clear of it? What are the typical problems, and is there any way to tell before buying?

The motor was apparently recently rebuilt, but I still need to get more info on the scope of the rebuild.

The psycho rage is more of an affectionate nickname... that fits...

The trans is a fine solid trans, just the synchro part is a little misleading... denoting its easy and fun to drive... yer clutch foot is going to get a work out, and you will probably snap off the shifters at least once. :-X

Compared to a slightly newer skidder one with a power shift or basically an automatic, the psycho rage is a pain to drive, but once you figure out which gears your going to need its not so bad.

The 440's i.e. all of em are tippy, not real wide not real heavy and a little bit tall, the trade off is you can get into places no one else can, and haul it with a one ton and a goose neck, where as the big boys need a low boy, and all the fixings.

Been getting stupid on mine for 2-3 years now, I've come close, closer then is strictly wise, but haven't actually rolled it... yet... have had the rear end in the air coming down hills, up on one front tire, one back tire, pushing the pile and having one slip off and pin the fully lifted blade to the ground, tossing everything in the back (saw, chokers, snatch blocks) out... ah fond memories...

Some things that will roll it, are heavy pulls and sharp corners, above mentioned log stacking faux pas, unseen stumps, any kind of hill if not taken seriously, flat tires.  Best thing is to keep the blade low whenever possible, in a pinch it acts like training wheels, and will mostly keep you upright, but is not moron proof.

I've also pulled 5' dia logs with it, stuff where I had to tie the blade to a stump and use the winch to drag it up a hill, but once on flatish ground it would pull it all day... cause it took all day...
well that didn't work

treeslayer2003

Quote from: so il logger on May 28, 2015, 09:19:14 PM
They are good skidder's, the only issue we have had with the 2 that I have worked around was fuel filter's clogging up. That was probably just crud in the fuel tank. And as already mentioned they are not the most stable in the hills. One of the 440 I worked around would sometimes turn one way or the other when first started, I think it was a b model. May have just been that machine or may be common? I would not start that one without being in the seat
+1 i hate them square glass filters. i might put a spin on head on my 540.

teakwood

Quote from: so il logger on May 28, 2015, 09:19:14 PM
[/b]

My 540A does the same, i think all old deeres do that. When you get use to it its not to bad.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

BargeMonkey

Other than taking a bath every once in a while im kind of partial to the glass filters, easy change out in no where, we keep 1 and wrenches in the skidder box. Back when we had a 544A and 644A loader you had to watch, the 544A would get a cases of the "twitches" and everyone was told to NEVER put your hands in the wheel. Even with ear plugs and muffs the turbo on a 644A will drive you out of the cab. Now our guys cry because we dont have XM in the cabs and auto grease systems, my heart goes out to them.  :D 
I was just a kid when we had a 440A, my dad and the deere tech had it down by the road doing a motor job one day, got late and figured they would finish the job in the morning, so they never filled the radiator. Someone came in the middle of the night, started the skidder, lifted the front with the blade and jacked the back up and stole the new chains off it, cooked a brand new engine. Local cops knew who did it but we couldnt prove it.

so il logger

That sucks bargemonkey, sounds like your LE is kinda like our's. Dad had a 230 tj done that way once, only the kids just started it and probably couldnt figure out how to shut it down because of the fuel kill cable. It was still warm monday morning and soot all over it, cooked the detroit. He said he filled it up with fuel friday eve, was empty monday

BargeMonkey

Quote from: so il logger on May 29, 2015, 02:00:48 PM
That sucks bargemonkey, sounds like your LE is kinda like our's. Dad had a 230 tj done that way once, only the kids just started it and probably couldnt figure out how to shut it down because of the fuel kill cable. It was still warm monday morning and soot all over it, cooked the detroit. He said he filled it up with fuel friday eve, was empty monday
Locks are for honest people and its a shame. I have bushnell NV game cams set up all over, 3 on this job and others we move around, i know how many hitches, how many loads and see everything that goes on with a time dated stamped picture. Ive got friends who work in the jail system locally who are very underpaid and can make sure that vandalism of my equipment turns into a life changing experience.  ;)
We eventually fixed that 440A and she is up in Gloversville NY area last i knew.

coxy

the other thing we had trouble with ours  is if going down hill you could not use the brakes and steering at the same time you would loose one or the other  ??? and it was not fun at times my dad and uncle never had a problem they always went slow but me being young and wanting to go 80 down hill  some times it would leave marks in my under pants :D  slow and steady wins the race 

47sawdust

coxy,
I'm wonderin' about the size of the chickens you got over your way.If one of their turds will tip over a skidder I'm staying home.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thenorthman

Quote from: coxy on May 29, 2015, 04:51:17 PM
the other thing we had trouble with ours  is if going down hill you could not use the brakes and steering at the same time you would loose one or the other  ??? and it was not fun at times my dad and uncle never had a problem they always went slow but me being young and wanting to go 80 down hill  some times it would leave marks in my under pants :D  slow and steady wins the race

I've only had problems like that when low on fluid?  Then it becomes important to keep the blade up so there is a little more juice sloshing around in the tranny. Its not much but does seem to help for a little while.

Quote from: 47sawdust on May 29, 2015, 06:47:21 PM
coxy,
I'm wonderin' about the size of the chickens you got over your way.If one of their turds will tip over a skidder I'm staying home.

Logging chickens are a tougher meaner breed that eat horse chestnuts for snacks, excavate stumps with proper motivation, and take on cougars for sport...

Besides if they're logging with chickens the Helicopter guys are going to go out of business...

???
well that didn't work

dnash

Quote from: BargeMonkey on May 29, 2015, 11:10:09 AM
Back when we had a 544A and 644A loader you had to watch, the 544A would get a cases of the "twitches" and everyone was told to NEVER put your hands in the wheel.

This is caused by air in the hydraulic system. There is a valve on the left side of the steering valve under the dash (on the 440/540 atleast) that you use to bleed the system.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

Thank You Sponsors!