iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6x6 cedar newel air drying time

Started by DPForumDog, May 27, 2015, 10:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPForumDog

I want  6x6  rough cut newels for our interior loft/ baclony .   I need them pretty quick, and I dont think we have time for pine to air dry.  (not sure how long it would take in a kiln)   I know that cedar drys faster so I am considering using cedar 6x6 newels.   

Anyone have a guess how long it would take CEDAR 6x6 newels to air dry?
Anyone have a guess how long it would take PINE  6x6 newels to air dry?

Thanks,
Granny DP
Granny DP
DP Forum Dog
lumber pro hd 36

WDH

My guess would be 4 - 6 months for the cedar, and 6 - 9 months for the pine.  If it was a hardwood, that would probably take at least two years.  The good thing is that cedar and pine dry very fast.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

low_48

WDH

In Central Alabama, it is most likely eastern red cedar. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

You probably do not want pine, as air drying will not set the pitch, so sap will bleed out for years, even through paint.  Kiln drying over 160 F will evaporate the pitch that is liquid at room temperature.

Kiln drying will also result in some surface cracking in some pieces, so maybe add 20% extra pieces.  Or else, buy some extra cans of wood putty to patch the cracks partly.

Cedar is by far a much better choice, but just air drying will not get them fully dry...that is, they will shrink further in use.  So, kiln drying to about 11% MC would be best...if you will turn them, make sure the core is not over 12% MC.  If pressed for time, see if you can purchase some dry wood.  Air drying of cedar 6x6 to under 20% MC will be  a minimum of 150 days.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

Thick stock like 6x6's will crack and split some.  Just part of the process.  Not much you can do about it.  Take it in stride and tell people that it is a natural wood product.  It is the real thing.  If you want something perfect, make it our of plywood or MDF. 

Den Socling

DPForumDog

Wow!
Every time I get on this forum I learn so much
Thank you kindly.
Granny DP
DP Forum Dog
lumber pro hd 36

Cedarman

If you are going to turn them, would making them into octagons help keep checking down and speed the drying process?  Or is it better to leave them square?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If you want fast drying and no splitting, then try this.  Drill a large hole lengthwise down the middle...maybe 2" diameter...from end to end.  This allows the inside to dry somewhat, but more importantly, now there is room for the wood to shrink. 

However, with any large piece, slow drying is better than fast drying.  With fast drying, you will develop a MC gradient from inside to outisde and this also means a shrinkage gradient.  Slower drying means more uniform shrinkage and therefore less stress.

If you are worried about strength loss from such a big hole, then after drying, redrill the hole so it is back to 2" and then insert and glue in a dry 2" dowel.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!