iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chart on air drying times in the deep south

Started by DPForumDog, May 27, 2015, 09:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPForumDog

I am wondering if there is a chart which would give me an idea about drying times fors different types/sizes/etc of wood.

For example:   How long would it take pine 2x4's to air dry with stickers as opposed to pine 6x6s? 
                      And how would that differ it were oak?

I know there are other varibles, such as location and season.   I read where I guy said that anything less than a 4x4 will dry over an Alabama summer. But I wonder how much our humidity will slow the process.   

We are getting a moisture meter today (yay).  We cut some pine planks 2x12x16 a few weeks ago and stored and sitckered them in an open quonset hut.   I wish we knew what the moisture content was when we first cut them.   I am really excited to see how fast and straight they will dry.

Blessings
Granny DP
DPForumDog

We are new to this sawmill lumber stuff and we have a lot to learn, so please be patient with my silly questions.

Granny DP
DP Forum Dog
lumber pro hd 36

DPForumDog

Looking for variables that effect drying and found this in the archives;
Quote from: solidwoods on August 27, 2008, 07:10:05 AM

A kiln isn't a hot box. 
It is a box where the temp and humidity can be controlled to allow the moisture loss of the wood to be at a rate that the wood can properly dry at.
Different woods have different moisture loss rates that they can take.
jim
Granny DP
DP Forum Dog
lumber pro hd 36

WDH

Pine dries fast.  1 1/2"  pine will air dry in about 2 - 3 months in the deep South, especially if you put a fan on the stack.  1" pine, with a fan, can dry in 8 weeks or so.  Red oak at 1" takes about 6 months.  2" red oak will take about a year.  1" white oak takes about 10 months.  2" white oak never dries  :-X :D.

Not sure about pine 6x6's, but I am sure it will take several times longer than 1 1/2" dimension/construction SYP. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ribsy

Interesting. So all of the 2" pine that I milled a year ago is dry!? I was under the impression that it would take 1 yr for every inch of thickness.

I am in need of more drying space and now can accomodate that by freeing up a couple of stack foundations! 😆
Engaged in tree work, tree removal, milling and and processing said product into high quality and well seasoned lumber slabs and firewood.

WDH

The one year per inch "rule of thumb" is a poor rule of thumb, at least here in the South.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The year per inch is not even close to the truth.  I have no idea where it came from, but with 2" pine, it can be under 20% MC in two months if there is not a lot of rain.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!