iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

- playing with the critters again -

Started by BargeMonkey, May 26, 2015, 11:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Went to see about my next woodlot last week, the landowner pulls out pictures from his game camera of the bobcat and young, large 400+ bear and night pictures of eyes and something with a long tail.  ;)  its only about 2 miles from my house thru the woods but adjoins about 10k acres of private and state land, basically no one would ever hear you scream. 130 acres on one side of the mt, and 160 on the other side is going to get an aggressive haircut, been highgraded a few times and the brush is so thick they cant walk. Loaded with rock ledge and not exactly flat, im so looking forward to this one, 1.5 miles in off a backroad to begin with, i love how people think NY is all concrete and city.  :D  i need new chaps anyway, should see if Comstock is selling the new "concealed carry" chaps.  ;D

azmtnman

First sight or sound of you and your equipment and those critters will be looking for new territory.  running-doggy
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

1270d

Not sure why folks think wildlife leaves the area just because logging is going on.   They just stay out of sight.   We see all kinds of animals. 

Example, this was two or three weeks ago

Phorester

Same thing with prescribed burns.  People think there will never be any wildlife in the area again.  When I check a burn the morning after, there's always fresh deer tracks in the dirt firelines around the perimeter and in the black ground in the burn itself where there was a conflagration the day before. 

wfcjr

Quote from: azmtnman on May 27, 2015, 12:50:26 AM
First sight or sound of you and your equipment and those critters will be looking for new territory.  running-doggy

We frequently see all sorts of animals when working the woods on equipment.  For some reason they seem to be curious rather than scared around equipment.  More than once deer have just stopped and stared at the tractor moving along.  But if I stop and get off the machine, they skedaddle.

jwilly3879

I've seen more wildlife from the seat in the skidder than I have while hunting. Take a hitch to the landing and come back for another and the bambis are in the fresh cut tops, they retreat a little when hooking up and then are back as soon as the machine pulls away.

Jamie_C

We routinely have deer, bears and coyotes in and around our cut blocks. Hawks seem to enjoy a newly harvested area as well.

coxy

BM  do you have critty crawlers over your way I hate them I will not work around them I wait till its 20 below to go and cut  :D :D seen my first fawn today must have watched it for 10-15mins they are funny to watch this time of year trying to jump over things

BargeMonkey

Bear on the side of the road or backyard isnt uncommon anymore, coyotes everywhere, and 2 venomous snakes last summer. The landowner had some nice bobcat pictures, but no one can get a super clear Mt lion picture, they traced the one that got killed in CT to CO so its no suprise. I cut alot of wood out in no where, this is just one of those lots that there isnt anything out there, no power, a few shacks way off the dirt road. The lots been highgraded a few times, im going to save the young oak and maple but other than that its getting clipped hard enough to starve a woodpecker flying over.  ;)

petefrom bearswamp

In the some places in the north country they call the chainsaw the Adirondack deer call.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

azmtnman

Quote from: 1270d on May 27, 2015, 07:38:47 AM
Not sure why folks think wildlife leaves the area just because logging is going on. 
Ours do. But then again they have room to move.  ;D
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

timberlinetree

I made friends with a moose on a job once, named her marther. Had a bobcat or lynx  come walking up the skid trail while eating a ham sandwich. Must have smelt it.One time at the end of the day it just started snowing and waddles the porcupine came strolling buy,then out of the hemlocks I saw the three sisters(deer) and Martha the moose was down a little ways chewing on brush. I felt like snow white for a bit.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

starmac

Our animals have all the room in the world to stay away from any logging operation. One of the tracts I haul out of is 18 miles in on a winter log road, and I have seen moose cross the landing, stop and watch the shovel loading the truck for a few moments, then just meander off.
I have heard several times of deer during bad winters, waiting for a tree to fall, then move in to get at the tender bark while they were trying to limb it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

brianJ

Saw a mother coyote this morning with three young pups drinking from a spring.   Pups seemed like just had eyes open as they were still fuzzy and a little clumsy.    First time I seen them that young.

Ron Scott

Deer are active on the the forwarder's trail route.

~Ron

mesquite buckeye

I see all the deer have all run away from the logging operation. :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

We once rented hunting rights to a guy from California who was very worried about when I work in the woods. I told him the deer don't care. He came by the day after we cut a new skid trail and hauled out some logs. He was amazed that the trail was covered with deer tracks. I said, "Uh huh. They don't have to walk through the brambles and brush there. That turns into a big deer trail". Oh. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ehp

last Friday I had 2 coyts come up on me in the bush, I have never had that before . The one came with in 9 or 10 feets of me and kind of growled . the other just went on looking for something to eat and as if I was not there . seen the 1 coy 3 times that day . I tried to get a pic on my cell phone but was never fast enough to do it

ehp

I found the best hunting for deer or moose was that same year it was logged , next year was pretty good as well if no other place was logged close , if so the animals were over at it

gfadvm

Quote from: ehp on July 01, 2015, 08:24:49 PM
last Friday I had 2 coyts come up on me in the bush, I have never had that before . The one came with in 9 or 10 feets of me and kind of growled . the other just went on looking for something to eat and as if I was not there . seen the 1 coy 3 times that day . I tried to get a pic on my cell phone but was never fast enough to do it

My first thought with coyotes acting like that is rabies!

ehp

I am thinking it just is not scared of me , been around rabbies quite abit up north , this coyts didnot act sick just not scared at all of me . proper thing in my mind would be BANG but I will where that is not so easy to do .

thecfarm

The guy that cuts for me says the same thing about thier havesters. The deer will come right up close.
When I cut,just a chainsaw and a tractor, the deer will come out,but only when I leave. I might see them off in the distance waiting,but won't come until I leave.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!