iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I failed...

Started by bkaimwood, May 26, 2015, 06:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkaimwood

Well, let me say thank you to all you fellas who welcomed me with with open arms...that's weird, never mind, let's start over...thanks to everyone here so eager to help a newbie like me, but, well, I kinda failed, and saw it coming...I put a deposit on a new LT40 diesel today...I went against my cardinal rule, and borrowed money to do it...I know, I know, stop yelling at me, I said I wouldn't...but let me explain...I decided I'm in a now or never situation...I've been sawing on a home made mill for over a year, saws nice lumber, but a lot of manual backbreaking work...and im old and shot. I'm very busy with my handyman/contracting business, and its a struggle, but I pay the bills...so I'm lucky if I get a day a week to saw...I'm lucky if I run a 1k bf a week...I spent last spring and summer being a log *Hoarder, a stockpiling logs...come winter when I spent weeks loading the logs back on the trailer to sell as firewood, I was mad. Well, as I was unloading another large trailer of logs Sunday, running out of room, the same thing is going to happen next year, nothing will change. Given the limited amount of time I have to saw, if the end paying the bills won't change, the other has to...I need something that can produce...so here I am...I  took the plunge, the leap of faith...now be gentle on me!!!
bk

1967Stroker

welcome and start pulling leavers , got to make the donuts. lol and good luck i hope it makes life easier on you.

Nomad

Good luck with your decision.  Sawing is great.  Have fun with it!  (And hopefully make some money at it too.)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

bkaimwood

Thanks Stroker...time to make the donuts is right, well said...my old pith is bound to benefit, if nothing else...my goal is to have my log stack...about 8 foot tall now, 40 long plus, milled unto sellable lumber by late fall...oddly enough, that's when the calls seem to come the most for me...everyone looking for their winter projects...need to break into dimensional lumber market here, should help to fill in the rest of the blanks...with a production mill, it may now be possible...we'll see...
bk

beenthere

If you break into the dimension market, will you need to find a way to get your product graded so it can be used in construction?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gww

BK
Good luck.  My old man said sooner or later you have to make a decision and after you make it there is no sense in worrying any more about it.  You made the decision and it is over and now its time to move on to the next decision.  I always found that I paid my bills some how even when on paper it seemed imposible and when I had no bills I still didn't save a million dollars. 
I wish you the best.
gww

bandmiller2

BK, were on this earth a short time if you want a mill DanG get it saving your but is worth much more than the price of the mill. You need to find a nitch like tool houses or wood sheds you cut build and deliver, the whole ball of wax. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dad2FourWI

bkaimwood,  congrats!!!!!  You will love it and your back will too!!!

I worked on a manual mill and I managed to forget I wasn't 30 any more and blew out my back badly... the following Spring my wife of 25 plus years conspired with our WM rep in Mosinee and one day we took a ride up to see him and came back with a used (new to me!) LT 40 !!!

My back LOVES it!!!!... I never knew those little levers could be so much darn fun!  :D :D :D

As my wife (and kids) keep telling me... "work smarter, NOT harder!!!!"

Now... very important... we need pics!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

starmac

Not exactly what it is you failed at. I just picked up mine last week, not near as nice as what you have coming, but it is hydraulic.  I am planning on mainly cutting for myself, and should have time to do it, in spurts anyway. I lucked out and didn't have to borrow anything, but at this stage in life I would not even try a manual.

I have only had mine since saturday, but enough people have hit me up just since then with enough work to probably make a years payments, or close to it on a new mill, if I was inclined to saw for the public.
Good luck with yours.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Sixacresand

BKaimwood,  Way-to-go with your new mill. Have fun and save your back.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

bkaimwood

Sorry beenthere, should have been more  specific when I said dimensional lumber...I'm familiar with the grading system and don't mean on that scale...I mentioned in an earlier thread that I've been working in numerous mini niches, and doing mostly custom stuff so far, and its done OK so far and got me started...I have no interest in competing with big box stores and large lumber yards, most people call me when they want something you can't get there, or when their prices are crazy... Dimensional lumber, to me, in this area, caters to all the DIY's building their own sheds, garages, barns, etc, and like myself, want to support local economy, enjoy the look, feel, and quality of a real 2 x4, and like to save a couple bucks while thinking outside the box. Recently got calls for 2500 bf of board and batten, and framing lumber for such projects...that's big to me...don't need to be rich, just pay the bills, be happy doing what I do, and have some time for life, cuz it passes u buy quick...
bk

bkaimwood

A couple of u fellers had some wise dads...I'm a big fan of simplistic thinking as such...I'm sure u guys make them proud...
bk

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

Some of the best and biggest decisions of my life caused me to reflect on "what have I done?"  Going to an all hydraulic mill from my old manual mill made me think the same thing. Looking back, it was the right decision   I used to saw all week with my manual mill.  Now I can mill the same amount in a day or two and have the rest of the time to spend on other things. I'm not necessarily sawing more wood than I used to, but doing it in a fraction of the time with a lot less effort

Congratulations on your decision and your new mill. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

mad murdock

you just bought yourself a "time " machine.  You will have more time, (and energy) to do the "other" thingfs you've been needing/wanting to.  Mebbe even squeeze in a little fishing ;)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bkaimwood

Nice thought...fishing...we'll see...thanks fellas...mill is due to arrive at the dealer tomorrow...I told the receptionist at WM that I would be standing in the parking lot waiting at 6 am...after a long uncomfortable silence (for her), I told her I was kidding...see you at 8 am...will get pics up soon as I can
bk

gww

bk
QuoteNice thought...fishing...we'll see...thanks fellas...mill is due to arrive at the dealer tomorrow...I told the receptionist at WM that I would be standing in the parking lot waiting at 6 am...after a long uncomfortable silence (for her), I told her I was kidding...see you at 8 am...will get pics up soon as I can

:D :D :D :D

bkaimwood

Another thing...I think the ride along seat, umbrella, and an umbrella drink would be good...never mind, pass me a beer...but seriously, WM gets like 1100 bucks for a place to sit...I'm thinking I could fab one easy non invasively for a couple hundred...am I wrong?
bk

Magicman

Congrats on the new sawmill.  Yup, you can fab a seat, or maybe you could find someone on here that is not using theirs.  (not me)  There is much more to the seat than just a place to sit.  All things considered, it is not overpriced.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bkaimwood

Please elaborate Magicman... I can't wait for the mill as u could imagine...I picture a drink holder and umbrella holder? What else? Takes a lot to convince me on an 1100 place to park my skinny butt...
bk

Magicman

I don't have many pictures, but there is a fair amount of hardware riding on cam followers.

It also gives you a nice perch so that you can see the blade guide over the log.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bkaimwood

Thanks Magicman, those pics are plenty to show what's going on there...looks to be worth the price, but I'm tight and feel it should come with the good lookin fella in the chair
bk

Magicman

mad murdock

Wow MM, just goes to show you how well built and well maintained quality equipment are well worth the $$. For all the wood you have run through that mill it is looking good,(the operator has faired pretty well too) 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

gww

Man, that thing does everything, now if you could just get something to push the buttons you could stay home and watch tv.  No wait, Is that a tv on top of the control box?
Cheers
gww

Thank You Sponsors!