iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back pain

Started by sandhills, May 26, 2015, 04:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Quote from: OneWithWood on May 25, 2016, 12:44:26 PM

I think the back muscles became conditioned to sitting in front of a computer screen for way too many years and now those muscles are having to learn some new tricks.

This sure is true in my case.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Roxie

Just checking in and wondering how you're doing, Sandhills.   :)
Say when

chet

Quote from: Roxie on May 25, 2016, 05:13:58 PM
Just checking in and wondering how you're doing, Sandhills.   :)

Also Ron, now that it's been a year since your last proceedure.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Ron Scott

Hanging in there. The Ryzotomy procedure helped decrease my back pain a lot and I've avoided surgery so far.
~Ron

Carson-saws

Ron Scott...Always wishing you the best Sir.  Especially cuz you are a Michigan Man.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

streem26

I’ve been managing lower back pain for decades now but it’s not bad at all day to day given that I don’t play tennis very much anymore and it takes a lot more for me these days to do stupid things tied to inappropriate lifting, careless physical exertion, and so on.I looked some reviews  and think to buy for me and family massage chair , I live near a mall and tried it often there.
In general, the chair allows you to integrate massage daily, or more precisely, very regularly, certainly far more than monthly.  Granted, the impact is potentially not as deep as a true human massage, but there are benefits, and in my case, there’s absolutely no question it’s relaxing.  “Relaxing” to me is the baseline, lowest possible bar for a chair. 

drobertson

Just got back from seeing a different surgeon, looks like I have it again, just above the previous fusion, doc said this in not that uncommon.  Severe stenosis L-4,L-3 this time, worst part is the waiting, next appointment only two months away,,the positive side it looks like a progressive doctor with a slightly different approach. Time will tell, it's still going to be a set back, just thankful for my son in law, who has been in a high speed low drag training mode. Hoping all you folks with similar struggles, coupled with the routine aches and pains are getting along well.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red

Sorry to hear this , try swimming or even just floating in water . Dealing with pain 24/7 causes lots of Quality of Life Issues .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Ed_K

A couple thing to think about, I found that soaking in the hot tub at 100 deg for 20 min helped a lot. And they have started doing replacement disks, a friend's wife had one done in L4-L5 and 6 weeks in, little to no pain and can walk standing upright.
Ed K

Grizzly

Just ranting........... I'd sure like to understand why I can sit in particular posture for hours at a time, even driving a full 11hr day without any issues. But bend for a bit to repair something or lift something heavier than a can of pepsi ................ or just what in the world am I doing wrong that suddenly I dare not get away from a wall or something to hold on to cause I'm not sure if my legs will hold out or not. Lot's of tension and pain in the whole lower back area, sometimes a complete circus of knife throwers in my legs, and sometimes very little feeling in my feet. But try to predict this stuff or understand what I did wrong so I can avoid it next time!??!!??   >:(  Haven't figured it out yet, but this is getting frustrating. Well, for some time now. It sure was great the 2 or 3 years after surgery. Felt like a new man with a new lease on life. Not now. Ok, I'm done.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

drobertson

no Idea man, the back pain as posted for me is not back pain, but nerve pain down the legs, may be two different scenarios.  All the same folks hurt from many issues, they all vary, but none is worse than another in my opinion.  It stinks,, plain and simple,.. praying every day for all you folks, really, do what you have to, and rest when you can,, it seems to be no easy road at times..
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red

I just had MRI in May and I think I will be having surgery this Summer.  I can no longer go for walks in morning and evening. Last summer was all about leg pain and cramps like never before. I was very surprised when a shot of pickle juice helped . My insurance is making me got to a Hospital 20 miles away for surgery .  Just keep trying , don't give up .

Grizzly

Quote from: red on June 26, 2017, 05:03:13 AM
, don't give up .

Sometimes I'd like to and then I find myself thinking about the next job or something I see out in the yard and away I go again. Cindy's got the children trained to give it to me if they see me trying to do too much. ........I thought I was the boss???   :(

Thanks for listening.

Ed_K

You should do like Red and get an MRI, have a look see and find out what is causing the pain. I found out that at my age my back is shrinking I've lost 3" in the last 10 yrs. With the disks getting pinched the pain doesn't go away. In my case it's exercises to keep me limber that helps.
Ed K

Grizzly

To get an effective MRI I would need to leave not only my province but likely the country. All the surgeons I've seen in SK so far will not do surgery as their is a 10% chance that I will get worse while their is a 50% chance I'll get better. 40% chance of no change. Our bureaucracy has overwhelmed our system with caution that only obvious surgeries get done. Or something like that. I've spent all I can on out of country help so I'll manage the best I can with care and stretches. Strengthening exercises bring more pain and my therapist said to stop. So it is and I'd rather learn to smile while things go bad than spend too much time whining about my lot in life. I whine too much already.

red

Surgery is not always the answer like you said .  I often wonder about acupuncture ?   But I can't imagine being stuck with needles. There are many things I have not done since my surgery in 1998 at 35 years old. Like horseback riding , bowling, golf , riding almost anything, now I am very careful on ladders too. But I do my Best to just get up early in the morning and do it all over again.

red

I cut down some dead ash trees yesterday, then bucked them up for firewood. I was extremely careful ,  but I really don't ever remember cutting firewood in this heat . Back is sore today legs are weak  so lots of rest and pickle juice today.

Grizzly

I managed to walk about a thousand feet yesterday in about 10 occasions. I congratulated myself for not collapsing while going a hundred feet. Oh how life changes our priorities!! Therapy says I've got more numbness now that tells her another disc is going. Yeehaa!!

Anyway I'll try and get as far as the shop today so I can sit there and give orders. I figured a couple of days rest and I could be back at it, but it's been a couple of weeks now and I'm back on meds and I don't like it. I've always hated pills; they make you less than sharp. I like to be sharp as a cookie ya know!   :D

Ed_K

The pills are awful,I'm on a bunch of them also. Did the doctor say anything about replacing the disk? I've heard of a few people who have had it done. They've been doing in Europe for 10 yrs.
Ed K

coxy

take your time don't over do it   after my back surgery it took me 2 weeks to get out of my drive way and its only 120 ft long but its up hill after getting out of the gravel and on black top I was on stoppable  :) like a little kid with the training wheels off his bike  8) then after they gave me back my driver license was even better then I went to the job and aggravated my dad  :D

Grizzly

Quote from: Ed_K on July 24, 2017, 03:13:14 PM
The pills are awful,I'm on a bunch of them also. Did the doctor say anything about replacing the disk? I've heard of a few people who have had it done. They've been doing in Europe for 10 yrs.

I had S1/L5 and L5/L4 done it Aug 2011 in Stenum Germany. I think I was too careless and thought I'd never have trouble again and I completely neglected excercises and let my core muscles go slack. I'm too careless with my own health. Now I'm being diligent.

luvmexfood

Just a little over a week ago my lower back was aching. Only thing I had been doing different was bushogging. Waited a couple of days and did about three hours more. Within two hours of quitting I was having pain a little worse and a certain way I moved the pain was excruciating. Would just about make me pee myself it hurt so bad.

I know a massage therapist and she wants me to come in and let her massage my lower back muscles. Haven't went yet because I knew I couldn't stand it. A little better now but have been taking Ibuprofen. Anyone had any luck with massage helping? Need to get it better next week before going back out on the road working.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

grouch

Almost all of my back pain went away when I figured out it was caused by unbalanced loading. I was in the habit of strapping my nail / tool apron on hanging on my left side. It was always loaded down. The muscles running diagonally in the small of the back were fighting to keep the spine aligned. I learned that a lot of reported back pain is caused by muscle spasms.

Therapy for me at that time was playing basketball with my son, when I could stand upright. Stretching -- including hanging loose from a chin-up bar -- helped get me walking straight up.

luvmexfood:
Is there something about bush hogging that causes you to strain one side of your back and not the other? Maybe twisting in the seat or even the shape of the seat back?
Find something to do that interests you.

luvmexfood

It may be the twisting around looking behind me. Never had that problem in years past but then in years past I wasn't as old as I am now.  :D I am sure the extra padding I have put on around my mid section does't help.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Grizzly

Deep tissue massage (which seems to be most common here) is not what you need for most pain. When I was introduced to gentle manipulative massage in Germany I learned a great deal about different methods. If I was feeling any pain he used hot hands (by briskly rubbing hands together) and applying that to muscles to soften them up enough that he could work a little deeper slowly and firmly breaking muscles down to where they were pliable. I had another therapist give me treatment after the hospital and she used the same hot hand method for soothing my back. Deep tissue massage in those situations can be very painful and not very helpful. If I have knots in my muscles then deep tissue for sure but not for muscles that are singing tight.

Thank You Sponsors!