iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back pain

Started by sandhills, May 26, 2015, 04:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

I stated earlier in the chiropractor thread I'd screwed up my back just didn't want to highjack that thread.  I went to one for three visits in about a 12 day time period, the adjustments helped, the first one sounded like a machine gun going off in my back.  Took a pack of steroids and tried one muscle relaxant pill (that did NOT work out well for me, on a normal year I may take 5 or 6 pills total, mostly IB profen) anyhow the pain has gotten a little better but not much. My wife is a nurse and worked for years for a surgeon that specializes in this, she's certain I blew a disc, 5th lumbar or something like that, all I know is I can definitely feel a bulge whenever I sit down in a seat of a vehicle or tractor and every bump is a whole new adventure in pain.  She got me an appointment to see him but says it will take surgery to fix it, anybody else here been through this?  I really don't have time for it right now but I'm sick of feeling miserable 24 hours a day, what would be the recovery time?  Thank you. 

drobertson

Yea, re-read the sciatic pain thread, many folks have, it stinks, I had L-4, and L-5 fused with rods, arthritis, was the culprit for me, still there every morning,  sitting too long, is a killer, as is heavy weight and walking with it.  I'd say get checked out to find out for sure,  I will say my chiropractor gave me the nod for the mri, she said it's time, treatments kinda came to an end.  Hope you get it figured out.  just remember, down time should be expected, sorry,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

Thanks David, I should have searched a little first.  I'm not sure what this is, I've messed up my back many times and usually it will shoot down one leg or the other/groin, this time it's different so time will tell I guess.  The chiropractor told me after my last appointment "ok your done, go wreck your body again"  :D.

WmFritz

I was about 5 years younger then you are when I finally had a lamenectomy on  L-4/L-5. I suffered with pain for a dozen years. Now 20 years later, if I have any stiffness going on, walking a couple miles a few days a week will take care of it.

The tipping point to have the surgery for me, along with the pain, was the numb left foot. A neurologist told me that eventually the nerves die off and the feeling doesn't return.

Sorry to hear of your pain.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Reddog

Surgery is no guarantee of relief, just ask my wife and a few others I know that went that route.

From the chronic pain thread. Still my thoughts on pain relief while working forward through the diagnostics.

Quote from: Reddog on March 22, 2015, 02:29:38 PM
Find a good hospital run pain clinic program for the injections and treatment, cause lets just say that can be a real shady side.
Also try a couple different docs for the injections at that program.
Shots helped on mine. But I got differing results based on which Doc. So I stuck with the two that gave me the best results, instead of just who was available at the time.

Grizzly

Due to the loss of strength and use of my left leg and then soon after my right leg gave trouble I began the "online" research as my medical system up here said they could do nothing for me other than morphine. More details would be needed but @sandhills, please get the mri and see what your discs are doing. If they are herniated beyond what stretching exercises will recover you want the surgery and as soon as possible. I left it too long and like WmFritz says I still have some issues with my toes not feeling right. But my mobility is fully recovered and my pain is gone. Not reduced but gone. I ran into a lot of articles recommending away from fusion due to the arthritic type pain that follows after and chose to go the ADR (artificial disc replacement) route. Yes it required surgery but 3 months later I had my mobility back and no pain. Did I mention the no pain part?  :)

Anyway just my penny.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Grizzly

and happy birthday!!   8)

sandhills

Thanks for all the replies, I was really hoping the chiropractor would do it, and it did make a difference (or the steroids or a combination of the two) just not as much as I was hoping for.  The neurosurgeon my wife has worked for, well this is her last day with him do to a job change, she really trusts so I think I'll at least get his opinion, who knows maybe it's nothing but it sure don't feel that way. 

Straightgrain

I gladly accept thread hijackers sir :)

Caught early-enough, the hole in a hip can be widened to give the nerve room to swell as the fluid leaks...

Mine became imbarable after 100+ jumps, countless rappels, 2 decades under a helmet & rucksack, and lots of falls; by the time I retired, the permanent scar tissue on the nerves would have made a hole enlargement procedure useless.....I waited way-too long.

Drugs changed me, steroid shots didnt help me, but stretching, heat in the am, ice in the pm, staying active, and now the monthly chiro-adjustments do help.

The "discogram" procedure was the most painful experience of my life.

..............Addendum...........

What I cannot emphasize-enough is the amount of pain reduction (and weight loss) that is associated with the reduction or elimination of foods that cause inflamation and drinks that cause dehydration.

The things I quit to reduce inflamation/pain and live a healthier life:

Cigarettes, chew, snuff, coffee, liquor, beer, pork, wheat, gluten, soda, red legumes, GMOs, and most dairy products.

Building core strength (abdominals) takes some of the strain off the back.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Grizzly

Should I start a new thread? Looked good to go here..........you tell me please?

Anyway in reply #5 I told of my miracle at Stenum. It has been a good 4 years and now the back & leg pains are coming back. It's higher up in my back which doesn't add up to me but the leg stuff is the same as years ago. I'm a young man and my boys need an example of work & habits etc and I'm feeling pretty low. The wife & children will only allow me a certain amount of activity or I should say type of activity and then I get the "eye" or worse they'll yell at me! "DAD STOP!" And then they do my work for me..............like I'm good for nutin'. Sorry guys, just whining I guess. I'll go back to holding up the best I can. I am not willing to go surgery route and am not able to hold a job anymore so lifestyle will be changing. Right...........no more sniveling! Sorry.

red

I to have been having more back problems. Most I can do is light duty work at best . Walking in the morning and at night is good .  This week I also had some migraine headaches so Monday I have a doctor appt. At 52 I am thankful everyday that I can walk as good as I do .  But I have my doubts if I can do any sawmilling in the future. 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

I always wear this when I am sawing.

It's a weightlifter's belt and adds much support to my old back.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

You should really consider an inversion table. Spend 10-12 minutes on it just before you go to bed.
Mine has helped me more than anything else. I actually am considering buying another so I have one at the Tenn property.
Pretty much does the same thing as a chiropractor plus relieves the pressure on nerves and spine.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

coxy

Quote from: Raider Bill on April 22, 2016, 10:31:04 AM
You should really consider an inversion table. Spend 10-12 minutes on it just before you go to bed.
Mine has helped me more than anything else. I actually am considering buying another so I have one at the Tenn property.
Pretty much does the same thing as a chiropractor plus relieves the pressure on nerves and spine.
after my surgery my doc told me not to use the inversion table said it my make things worse  :-\ and don't want to go through that pain again

Raider Bill

at least you considered it ;D

coxy

I would/will try anything not to go through the pain that I went through it was horrible

Raider Bill

Without it I would be in constant misery too.

red

I split firewood yesterday and am a little sore today . But overall feel good .  I split for about 15-20 minutes and walk for about 10 minutes . I also Sat down quite a bit and watched tthe birds .  Plus I over hydrate with water and Gatorade. I don't think I could make money doing it but it is good exercise for me .

Carson-saws

Learned to "live with it" but its that "pain in the neck" that wont go away.  I kinda figured it had something to do with the regular like nagging and honey do list thing. 
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Chop Shop

I have a bad back.  My dad had a bad back.   My grandpa had a bad back.  Im sure his dad had one to.

Wear a bad back with pride and keep moving,,,,,,,,

Or sit down and become a surgeons paycheck and support the narcotics industry.

Learn your limitations and prosper or eat pills and start to die.

Grizzly

So my cousin invites me to go north for a fishing weekend. Well I haven't done much for the past 3-4 weeks and I've been feeling pretty good so I say, yep let's go! We spent some time on the boat fishing on quiet water, then some time on rough water, a little time 4x4ing down some timber trails, and I am enjoying myself. And then the back says hold on a minute I don't like this. Before 2 hours have passed I've got spasms in my back, stabbings in my legs, and nearly unable to walk around by myself cause my legs won't hold me. Talk about a weekend gone bad. He hauled me home late Sunday night and I needed help into the house. Oh well, we had a good time anyway. Anyone else experience setbacks when their not certain what activity triggered it? I know that bending of any sort is a no no for me, but some other activities I just don't understand. Or is it just the alignment of the stars???

Ron Scott

Have had similar experiences with the back pain. It just flares up for no reason, even from sitting to long. It really puts you down.
~Ron

Chop Shop

Nagging back pain is just something to get used to.

Its the nerve damage/pain that causes the spasms, shocks, sciatica etc.

Sitting and driving are the worst.

Stretch regularly, especially jogging/lunge style stretches.  These make your nerves longer and more flexible.   Longer nerves dont pull so tight over bulging discs or rake over spurs etc. 

Got OFF of tabacco.  This is huge.    Keep moving, no heavy lifting, just keep all day.

red

I took it real easy on my back this entire month.  It has not gotten any better .  Everyone who has hurt their back learns their own injury , and I really don't think two injuries are the same. Since I had surgery in 1998 at 35 years old I have not gone water skiing horseback riding or any Fun activity that could put me in a wheelchair.  I did tear my upper quad muscle on my left leg from lifting with my legs .  That required emergency surgery but healed nicely .  Learn about Quality of Life and living with pain .

OneWithWood

I have had some big time back pain for the past couple of years.  The doctor offered pills but I said I could not take pills and do the work I want to do.  He set me up with ATI for some PT.  The PT folks taught me some nifty stretches and exercises for strengthening my core.  I do the stretches and exercises almost every morning.  The back pain is still there but is lessening or I am getting used to it.  I still fall trees, skid to the barn, mill, dry and wood work.  I did make up a roller table to move the 12' 4x4 cants off the mill so I only need to lift them to place on runners for bundling.
I think the back muscles became conditioned to sitting in front of a computer screen for way too many years and now those muscles are having to learn some new tricks.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!