TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Back pain  (Read 3047 times)

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
Back pain
« on: May 26, 2015, 04:05:18 pm »
I stated earlier in the chiropractor thread I'd screwed up my back just didn't want to highjack that thread.  I went to one for three visits in about a 12 day time period, the adjustments helped, the first one sounded like a machine gun going off in my back.  Took a pack of steroids and tried one muscle relaxant pill (that did NOT work out well for me, on a normal year I may take 5 or 6 pills total, mostly IB profen) anyhow the pain has gotten a little better but not much. My wife is a nurse and worked for years for a surgeon that specializes in this, she's certain I blew a disc, 5th lumbar or something like that, all I know is I can definitely feel a bulge whenever I sit down in a seat of a vehicle or tractor and every bump is a whole new adventure in pain.  She got me an appointment to see him but says it will take surgery to fix it, anybody else here been through this?  I really don't have time for it right now but I'm sick of feeling miserable 24 hours a day, what would be the recovery time?  Thank you. 

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
Re: Back pain
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 04:57:49 pm »
Yea, re-read the sciatic pain thread, many folks have, it stinks, I had L-4, and L-5 fused with rods, arthritis, was the culprit for me, still there every morning,  sitting too long, is a killer, as is heavy weight and walking with it.  I'd say get checked out to find out for sure,  I will say my chiropractor gave me the nod for the mri, she said it's time, treatments kinda came to an end.  Hope you get it figured out.  just remember, down time should be expected, sorry,,
Lt-40 super Cat 51hp, smith single head resaw, 362,310 stihl, and a nice real, nice small poulan!  585D Case loader, only one dog, some kind of a mess right now, but learning.

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 10:16:20 pm »
Thanks David, I should have searched a little first.  I'm not sure what this is, I've messed up my back many times and usually it will shoot down one leg or the other/groin, this time it's different so time will tell I guess.  The chiropractor told me after my last appointment "ok your done, go wreck your body again"  :D.

Offline WmFritz

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 10:40:52 pm »
I was about 5 years younger then you are when I finally had a lamenectomy on  L-4/L-5. I suffered with pain for a dozen years. Now 20 years later, if I have any stiffness going on, walking a couple miles a few days a week will take care of it.

The tipping point to have the surgery for me, along with the pain, was the numb left foot. A neurologist told me that eventually the nerves die off and the feeling doesn't return.

Sorry to hear of your pain.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Offline Reddog

• Senior Member x2
  • Forest & Urban woody plant management
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 09:40:52 am »
Surgery is no guarantee of relief, just ask my wife and a few others I know that went that route.

From the chronic pain thread. Still my thoughts on pain relief while working forward through the diagnostics.

Find a good hospital run pain clinic program for the injections and treatment, cause lets just say that can be a real shady side.
Also try a couple different docs for the injections at that program.
Shots helped on mine. But I got differing results based on which Doc. So I stuck with the two that gave me the best results, instead of just who was available at the time.

Offline Grizzly

• Full Member x2
  • I wanna go camping!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 10:20:39 am »
Due to the loss of strength and use of my left leg and then soon after my right leg gave trouble I began the "online" research as my medical system up here said they could do nothing for me other than morphine. More details would be needed but @sandhills, please get the mri and see what your discs are doing. If they are herniated beyond what stretching exercises will recover you want the surgery and as soon as possible. I left it too long and like WmFritz says I still have some issues with my toes not feeling right. But my mobility is fully recovered and my pain is gone. Not reduced but gone. I ran into a lot of articles recommending away from fusion due to the arthritic type pain that follows after and chose to go the ADR (artificial disc replacement) route. Yes it required surgery but 3 months later I had my mobility back and no pain. Did I mention the no pain part?  :)

Anyway just my penny.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws
   2149 - 111S - 90?
Cooks Cat Claw & Dual tooth setter
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Offline Grizzly

• Full Member x2
  • I wanna go camping!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 10:22:28 am »
and happy birthday!!   8)
Jonsered saws
   2149 - 111S - 90?

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 10:50:25 am »
Thanks for all the replies, I was really hoping the chiropractor would do it, and it did make a difference (or the steroids or a combination of the two) just not as much as I was hoping for.  The neurosurgeon my wife has worked for, well this is her last day with him do to a job change, she really trusts so I think I'll at least get his opinion, who knows maybe it's nothing but it sure don't feel that way. 

Offline Straightgrain

• Like a kid in a candy store..
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 12:19:42 am »
I gladly accept thread hijackers sir :)

Caught early-enough, the hole in a hip can be widened to give the nerve room to swell as the fluid leaks...

Mine became imbarable after 100+ jumps, countless rappels, 2 decades under a helmet & rucksack, and lots of falls; by the time I retired, the permanent scar tissue on the nerves would have made a hole enlargement procedure useless.....I waited way-too long.

Drugs changed me, steroid shots didnt help me, but stretching, heat in the am, ice in the pm, staying active, and now the monthly chiro-adjustments do help.

The "discogram" procedure was the most painful experience of my life.

..............Addendum...........

What I cannot emphasize-enough is the amount of pain reduction (and weight loss) that is associated with the reduction or elimination of foods that cause inflamation and drinks that cause dehydration.

The things I quit to reduce inflamation/pain and live a healthier life:

Cigarettes, chew, snuff, coffee, liquor, beer, pork, wheat, gluten, soda, red legumes, GMOs, and most dairy products.

Building core strength (abdominals) takes some of the strain off the back.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Offline Grizzly

• Full Member x2
  • I wanna go camping!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 05:16:07 pm »
Should I start a new thread? Looked good to go here..........you tell me please?

Anyway in reply #5 I told of my miracle at Stenum. It has been a good 4 years and now the back & leg pains are coming back. It's higher up in my back which doesn't add up to me but the leg stuff is the same as years ago. I'm a young man and my boys need an example of work & habits etc and I'm feeling pretty low. The wife & children will only allow me a certain amount of activity or I should say type of activity and then I get the "eye" or worse they'll yell at me! "DAD STOP!" And then they do my work for me..............like I'm good for nutin'. Sorry guys, just whining I guess. I'll go back to holding up the best I can. I am not willing to go surgery route and am not able to hold a job anymore so lifestyle will be changing. Right...........no more sniveling! Sorry.
Jonsered saws
   2149 - 111S - 90?

Online red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 09:50:02 am »
I to have been having more back problems. Most I can do is light duty work at best . Walking in the morning and at night is good .  This week I also had some migraine headaches so Monday I have a doctor appt. At 52 I am thankful everyday that I can walk as good as I do .  But I have my doubts if I can do any sawmilling in the future. 
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 10:28:46 am »
I always wear this when I am sawing.

It's a weightlifter's belt and adds much support to my old back.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 10:31:04 am »
You should really consider an inversion table. Spend 10-12 minutes on it just before you go to bed.
Mine has helped me more than anything else. I actually am considering buying another so I have one at the Tenn property.
Pretty much does the same thing as a chiropractor plus relieves the pressure on nerves and spine.
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 06:12:40 pm »
You should really consider an inversion table. Spend 10-12 minutes on it just before you go to bed.
Mine has helped me more than anything else. I actually am considering buying another so I have one at the Tenn property.
Pretty much does the same thing as a chiropractor plus relieves the pressure on nerves and spine.
after my surgery my doc told me not to use the inversion table said it my make things worse  :-\ and don't want to go through that pain again

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 06:24:33 pm »
at least you considered it ;D
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 07:05:18 am »
I would/will try anything not to go through the pain that I went through it was horrible

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 08:23:28 am »
Without it I would be in constant misery too.

Online red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 06:11:20 am »
I split firewood yesterday and am a little sore today . But overall feel good .  I split for about 15-20 minutes and walk for about 10 minutes . I also Sat down quite a bit and watched tthe birds .  Plus I over hydrate with water and Gatorade. I don't think I could make money doing it but it is good exercise for me .
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.

Offline Carson-saws

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 09:28:25 am »
Learned to "live with it" but its that "pain in the neck" that wont go away.  I kinda figured it had something to do with the regular like nagging and honey do list thing. 
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Offline Chop Shop

• Full Member x2
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 11:28:52 am »
I have a bad back.  My dad had a bad back.   My grandpa had a bad back.  Im sure his dad had one to.

Wear a bad back with pride and keep moving,,,,,,,,

Or sit down and become a surgeons paycheck and support the narcotics industry.

Learn your limitations and prosper or eat pills and start to die.