iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl new vs old

Started by sprinkle, May 25, 2015, 11:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprinkle

Hey fellas, real new guy here. I found an 045 av that runs but hasn't been used in 5 years, and a near new 075 av. Are these saws better than getting a 441 and a 660?
I once thought I knew everything, and the old man talked to slow. Now I prefer to not say a word and let the old man finish. Life is easier this way.

bandmiller2

I say yes especially if their reasonably priced, they are easier to adjust and have no EPA crap. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sawguy21

They were good saws in their day but modern saws are faster and much lighter. The 075 was very maintenance intensive, if you are looking for a work saw I suggest passing on it in favor of an 088
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

The  045 and 075 are a fine enough saw today if just used for occasional  cutting. If the price is right and their  in good shape why not?
When their pushed to work 8 hr a day 5days a  week then your asking for top maintenance  with a needed part supply....which will be harder to find.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sprinkle

The 045 is 175 bucks, starts after 3 to 5 pulls and runs. Dies if you let it idol in about 30 seconds. The 075 is 1250 it is near new. I had plans to buy a ms 441 Until I saw these.
I once thought I knew everything, and the old man talked to slow. Now I prefer to not say a word and let the old man finish. Life is easier this way.

ZeroJunk

$1250 for an 075 is insane. You can get a MS661 for that in the box and it will cut rings around an 075 with any common length bars and maybe all of them.

HolmenTree

Quote from: ZeroJunk on May 26, 2015, 05:56:52 PM
$1250 for an 075 is insane. You can get a MS661 for that in the box and it will cut rings around an 075 with any common length bars and maybe all of them.
I very much doubt a 661 will out cut a 075 :D I can pretty much guarantee the 075 will last longer too. ;)
Stihl still manufactures the 075 in Brazil for the tough going in the big jungle hardwoods.

pabst79

I agree the 075 is a unstoppable saw, but 1250 is at least double what most would be willing to pay. However, I guess value is really what anyone might be willing to pay. What are you planning on doing with the saws? Firewood or Milling? Type of use should play into your decision as well.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

gjersy

All are good i've used all of them. However the price is way high for the 075. I still have an 045, nothing wrong with it, i made a living with one up till the early 90's. But i love my 660's, wish i bought one more before they quit selling them. What will you be cutting with them?
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

nitehawk55

Most parts for those saws are NLA so something to think about .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

ZeroJunk

Quote from: HolmenTree on May 26, 2015, 07:39:52 PM
Quote from: ZeroJunk on May 26, 2015, 05:56:52 PM
I very much doubt a 661 will out cut a 075 :D I can pretty much guarantee the 075 will last longer too. ;)
Stihl still manufactures the 075 in Brazil for the tough going in the big jungle hardwoods.

Never had an 075, but I had an 076 Super. They have nothing like the chain speed of an 066 for instance. So yeah, if you are the 1 in 1,000 who ever needs a 48 or 60 inch bar the 075 might lug it better. But, for any normal cutting you will wear yourself to a frazzle trying to keep up with an 066, MS660, or MS661.

HolmenTree

Ok so what's  "normal cutting"?
  I can say a pulpcutter can out cut a 066 with a 034  :D

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

sprinkle

Thanks for all the replies! I bought some land and am going to build the house from lumber I cut and mill, well I cant cut it all but will buy logs. I have been a custom home builder for 15 years and can think of noting more awesome to do with my skill set. I would like to put all this info in a book if I can make myself write it. So I am thinking the Alaskan mill, and the saws needed to fell trees, cut them up, mill them, cut undergrowth, and a lot of fire wood. So I know a few saws and different tools are needed, so I am researching. I have always heard Stihls saws were better back in the day but I live in west Texas, not many trees here so I thought I would ask the pros. If the new saws are better or you cant get parts for the old ones, I will buy new ones.

ZeroJunk

Quote from: HolmenTree on May 26, 2015, 10:59:01 PM
Ok so what's  "normal cutting"?
  I can say a pulpcutter can out cut a 066 with a 034  :D

Hey, if you had rather have an 075 than a MS661 go for it. And, those soft woods that have the consistency of styrofoam you guys are always bragging about being a big deal could probably be cut with most anything.

And Sprinkle, if you are wanting to mill an 075 would be good for that, but that price is just too high.

mad murdock

Welcome sprinkle.  Personally, the only older "all metal" saws of my preference are painted yellow, or yellow and black. tThey compare really well with todays saws, albeit, they lack the safety features of newer saws, their power to weight is right in there with the newer ones.  I have an 075 and got it for free, had to put about 40 bucks in it, and it is a great saw for what I use it for( splitting larger logs, milling larger logs), other than that, I would tend to agree, it is pretty heavy at 20+ pounds.  Though i am glad to have the beast, as I have a few really large dia stems to trim on the home place this summer (see avatar pic ;D) 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Oliver1655

If you are wanting a large saw for milling, look for one you can fill the gas & oil while it is in the mill.  If you are in the middle of milling a log, you won't want to have to take the saw out of the log or mill to refill.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

HolmenTree

Quote from: Oliver1655 on May 28, 2015, 08:56:08 AM
If you are wanting a large saw for milling, look for one you can fill the gas & oil while it is in the mill.  If you are in the middle of milling a log, you won't want to have to take the saw out of the log or mill to refill.
Excellent point there as the 075 fuel and  oil  caps are on top of the saw.
My 090 same issue but its fuel hole was big enough to pour gas into to get the saw going again to finish the cut with the mill. 090 always set to have extra bar oil in the tank when fuel went dry.
I see no reason why I can't  do the same with the 075.

Sprinkle if that 075 is in top condition with low hours $1200 is resonable in my opinion.  Barter to get the 045 thrown in for free.

I've been offered $1200  CDN for my 090 in the past few years and I'm  still holding onto it.

Thank You Sponsors!