iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Total knee replacement

Started by pep, May 25, 2015, 07:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Sheila is scheduled to be released from the hospital tomorrow around Noon.

She is really getting bored.

Here, she'll have a person from the Physical Therapy department come to the house 2-3 times a week.

She still says she wants to bowl on the ladies league that starts in September.

We'll see!

Her Doc says to aim for a high goal, but don't be too disappointed if you don't quite make it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Chuck White

Well, she's home and kicked back in the recliner with the "Ice Water circulation gizzmo" hooked up and she's comfortable.

Even though she can't really do anything around the house for a while, it's wonderful to have her home.  smiley_love

She goes back to the surgeon for a checkup in 2 weeks!

Also, gives me a break from sawing!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Good to hear that.         smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Well, she toughed it through the first week and is into the second!

She says it's getting easier and I can see that there's less swelling and black&blue and greater movement in the knee each day!

A lot less discomfort as each day goes by!

doctorb

But she's not quite ready to nail that 7 - 10 split, is she?   :D ;D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Chuck White

Nope...... But she talks about it a lot!   ;D

Magicman

Chuck, it's good to hear about Shelia's progress, and it's also good to hear that you are being a good nurse. 

Hopefully the Pig Roast will be in next year's plan.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

It's been getting discussed quite a bit here lately, Lynn!

dgdrls

Good morning Chuck,

my very best to Sheila on a quick and full recovery,

be well,

DGDrls

Chuck White

Well, she's making lots of progress.

She's graduated from a walker to a cane, she gets around in the house without the cane though!

She's done with in-home physical therapy, and Monday will start outpatient pt at the hospital.

She only has 5 Lovanox (sp) shots to go, I've been giving them to her here at home.

She says she wants to start driving again, home nurse said "ask the surgeon" and your "regular doctor"!

Magicman

Thanks for the good report Chuck.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Thanks to all for the well-wishes!

Chuck White

Just wanted to give you an update on Sheila's knee surgery.

Well, it's not doin' so well now, the tendon behind the knee (I think it's called the ham-string) is too tight.  Thinking there are adhesions preventing the movement.

She can't straighten the leg as much as it should be so, on Tuesday (the 8th) she'll go back to the hospital and they'll put her under anesthesia and physically with brute muscle strength, bend the leg as far as it's supposed to bend and straighten the leg as straight as it's supposed to be.

The doc says she'll be a "sore puppy" for a few days afterwards then all will be good!

Praying things go well.

I'll keep you 2 informed!

doctorb

It's called a manipulation under anesthesia, or MUA.  Not a brute strength thing.  Gentle, constant pressure.  The last few degrees of straightening, called knee extension, rate as important if not more so than gaining excessive flexion (bending).  To walk well, you need to get your knee straight.  These last few degrees are the toughest to obtain for any patient.  Do not underestimate the need for full knee extension - a straight knee.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Chuck White

Thanks for the clarification Doc, MUA sounds a lot better too.

I'm sure she would also agree.

Thanks for jumping in so many times on this thread!

Chuck White

Well, Sheila went in for the procedure at 12:00 and was back in the room at 12:10.

DONE!!!!!!!!!!   :o

The doc said she's doing fine and with time and more physical therapy she'll be good as new!

She has a lot more "range of motion" now, and walks a little straighter.

doctorb

This is the time, despite pain, to maintain as much of the motion gained through the manipulation as possible.  It's time to put up with the discomfort and push yourself.

Chuck White

Chuck White

On her visit to the surgeons office last week, her knee flex was measured!

She has all of the "bend" back, and she still lacks 6° to be fully straightened!

She is walking "most times" without any sign of a limp!

So, overall, she's doing great!

Magicman

Thanks for sharing the good report Chuck.   :)

doctorb

Excellent.  I told you that the last few degrees of extension were tough.  Put her foot up on your coffee table and gently push down on her knee.  Every commercial.

Chuck White

Thanks Doc, she still goes to PT, twice a week!

Likely she'll be done with PT within the month, it's already been discussed.

She said the toughest thing at PT was slowly walking backwards on the treadmill, but it seems to be what helps the extension the most!

Raphael

SWMBO had the minimally invasive total knee replacement on 10/28 and seems to be ahead of the curve in recovery.  Her range of motion is currently from 0° to 95° and we should be switching from in home physical therapy to the local PT clinic next week. 8)  We're fortunate to have a couple of the MDs who 'wrote the book' on the technique in our back yard.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

fishpharmer

I am facing a knee replacement soon.  Hope all mentioned are doing better.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chuck White

Good luck to you fishpharmer & SWMBO.

The PT seems to be everything.

Sheila says the best thing she's noticed is "all the pain she had before surgery is gone"

Thank You Sponsors!