iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to really cut dimensional lumber?

Started by opticsguy, May 24, 2015, 10:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

Been enjoying my TK1220 mill for many years and have developed a method for cutting a variety of slabs, dimensional lumber, etc.  Problem is I do not really know how to cut wood efficiently.
Is there a video out there for how to cut 2x4 out of a log with a manual mill?
I have been cutting my logs to "square" and then cut at 3.5", repeat again and again. Then rotate the slabs 90 deg and cut the 1.5" .
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

drobertson

that is about the quickest most efficient way, however, ;D don't be surprised if you loose some to crooking sawing like this.  I usually like to add an 1/8" to the dimensions for pine, and oak as well,  the shrink is real close to nominal when air dried.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

wolf nemeth

Well,  when it's too dark to saw get on your computer and Gogle on 'youtube  sawmill, or anything more specific that you want, and your entire evening will be taken up watching (hopefully informative) videos.
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

drobertson

videos can be very deceptive,  I recommend sawing one and see the reaction for yourself, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bama20a

It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

DanG

I don't think there is one right way.  Learning to read the log or the cant, and being able to take what it is offering you is more valuable than learning a set method and repeating it on every log.  What you gain in consistent quality will more than offset the little time you lose in reading it.  I watched Customsawyer give a little lesson on reading a cant yesterday, and he pointed out things I never saw before even though they had been before my eyes many times.  ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kingcha

I make mine 3 5/8 x 1 5/8 and I try to make my cant so i have sets of odd #'s   

Example   3 x 3 5/8 plus 1/4 saw cuts = 11 1/8    Then 5 x 1 5/8 plus 1/2 for saw cuts = 8 5/8   Which gives me a 11 1/8 x 8 5/8 cant.   That will yield me 15 2x4's    Not sure its the best way but it works for me.   IT does not work with all trees but If I get one that I can center the cant I go this route.

I have chart right at the mill with all the different numbers.   Hope this helps

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Lawg Dawg

I've found the best way for me to get good 2x4s out of syp logs is to quarter saw them.  Not very productive for a 2x4, but they stay straighter than the flat sawn..
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

drobertson

Quote from: bama20a on May 24, 2015, 07:58:17 PM
Here is some good reading. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,63328.0.html Hope it helps.
exactly what I said, go for it, and see what turns out,  only one way to know just how cold the water really is, dive in ;D
I won't do it, but I am slow and a premature codger, ;D  building stock is critical with my clients with the available logs.
I may waste one or two total on trimming, but figure it beats the heck out of four to six a log getting the bd/ft'd  just my way of thinking.
not bashing, just giving an honest post on what I thought was an open forum, to help folks figure out sawing.

Dan_Shade

here's how I'd cut 2x6s and 2x4s out of an 11" diameter log:

Also, be sure to put the heart check so that it is contained in the middle board, i.e. so that the split is parallel with the bed of the saw for the first cut.

I originally posted this in a thread about the opening cut:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,15483.msg221895.html#msg221895
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

addysdaddy

Quote from: Kingcha on May 24, 2015, 08:45:01 PM
I make mine 3 5/8 x 1 5/8 and I try to make my cant so i have sets of odd #'s   

Example   3 x 3 5/8 plus 1/4 saw cuts = 11 1/8    Then 5 x 1 5/8 plus 1/2 for saw cuts = 8 5/8   Which gives me a 11 1/8 x 8 5/8 cant.   That will yield me 15 2x4's    Not sure its the best way but it works for me.   IT does not work with all trees but If I get one that I can center the cant I go this route.

I have chart right at the mill with all the different numbers.   Hope this helps

Matt

I don't suppose you'd post a copy of your chart with all the numbers for us new folks... the math is driving me nuts... Thanx
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

Chuck White

I have cut "near" dimensional lumber on occasion!

I have a few customers who want to use their air-nailers and they don't seem to do very well with 2" material.

So, I cut the thickness of 2x4's and 2x6's to 6/4.

They seem to be very happy with the lumber, the width will stay at 4" or 6", whatever the customer wants.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kingcha

Here you go Addysdaddy

I make these up for all my wood sizing.   I have found I make less mistakes.   I have been cutting 5/8" thick lately so it saves me subtracting.

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

addysdaddy

8) 8)Beautiful... between your numbers and Dan Shade's diagrams I should be able to actually have more lumber than waste at the end of the log... Thanx much.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

drobertson

yep, and don't forget DanG's remark, lots to be learned when reading logs, and still will bite ya!  Dan Shades post was spot on for that diameter. Bigger logs bring in a different challenge. Trim cuts, which seem like waste but  produce straight 2x's lots of handling, but at the end of the day a good day, good pay day, and very usable lumber. 

addysdaddy

;D Have no fear... I don't discount anyones opinion or advice until i give it an honest try. I'm still in the learning phase and only cutting for myself to get the garden shed, solar kiln and sawmill shed up and roof tight. Then i might start to play with marketting stuff. I don't know many sawyers up here in Nova
scotia but i might try to find some to visit when i'm down in maine for a week in August. 
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

gimpy

Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Chuck White

@Magicman  cuts mostly dimensional lumber.

Maybe he will chime in and let us in on some of his expertise!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

The  subject looks well covered especially with the link in Reply #4.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

addysdaddy

If only magicman could put his expertise into a spray can so we could all learn how to instantly read logs and cants and stresses and pith centering and  :D :D :D :D :D :D... I'd be buying a can for sure...
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

Magicman

Oh my, I would buy a can too.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!