iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Citrus trees

Started by sprucebunny, September 10, 2004, 08:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Are citrus trees desid...dicid  .....de...do thier leaves fall off ???
I'm asking 'cause I've grown some from seed and I'm wondering weather to try to emulate thier natural cycle or just bring them in now. Also have some cypress I grew from seed. Really like my little trees-want to make them feel at home ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

I've grown lemon and oranges in door. If the leaves fall off them, its not a good sign. ;) They will loose older leaves but they are evergreen.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Thanks for replying , SwampDonkey. I kind of thought citrus were evergreen. You see em in hotel attriums sometimes.
I guess I'll be trying to carry the cypress on as an evergreen cause I can't figure out how to control temperature swings enough to make them think they are in Louisiana till Febuary!!

SwampDonkey

The issue with your cypress is also daylight hours. As days become shorter in the temperate, the trees go dormant. Once daylight trigers the dormancy, then temperature also becomes a factor. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

Cypress also drops the leaves. Looks strange in the swamp from late October through April.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

I never knew that Fla_Deadheader

I thought cypress was similar to false cypress or Alaska cedar which are evergreen. Very interesting. Thanks.

sprucebunny

I knew the leaves fell off the cypress---they do look strange. Visited La last year in Nov. and got seeds. Read on a bonzi forum that they were hard to start but about 1/3 of what I planted sprouted It was hard to keep track cause mice ate the seedlings till I made covers outta soda bottles.

SwampDonkey

Spruce bunny, I remember them varments getting into the yellow birch nursery stock. I've also seen the damage they do in red pine seedlings in nurserys.  ::)

sprucebunny

That was probably OUTdoors, huh?

SwampDonkey

Yes maam. I lost half my yellow birch seedlings. The next year I put them up on my trailor and no mice.

sprucebunny

I worked for a wholesale perienial plant grower one year and it was voles that were tunnelling around and eating stuff. We put out poison and traps and pretty much won the battle.
This winter may be better in my 4 year old house. I put spray foam in where the mice came in around outlets and pipes. Had been hoping to lure them out of the walls and launch them into the great outdoors but wasn't sure I was winning. :-/

SwampDonkey

Place warfarren out with trays of water also. The mice or moles get thirsty eatin that stuff and the water allows them to eat more and is more affective that way. ;)

Geesh, I have them get hungry enough to eat brick on the flu, believe it or not.

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D Ever see a rodent try to eat your flu.  :D :D :D

Just for the non-believers ;D

Furby

Could there have been some salt in them bricks?

Tom

know why Warfarin works?  its because it causes an animal to bleed inside.  The more you bleed the thirstier you get.  Unfortunately water won't solve the problem.  It's used on rats because they will leave the building in search of water and die in the open.

Don't put that stuff where a child or domestic aniimal can get to it.   :P

SwampDonkey

I don't think so Furby, there is a water softner next to the flu that hasn't been used in 10 years and no salt around it. I think the warfarren turns the mice a little crazy. Who knows.

I was going to offer ya a slice to taste, but might be hard on the 'ole molars. ;)  Sorry, the temptation over powered by inhibitions. :D :D

But, isn't that odd they would eat at a brick. My mother told dad that, and he thought she had flipped.

Thank You Sponsors!