iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a BIG R.Oak timber

Started by S.Hyland, May 22, 2015, 09:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S.Hyland

Hi All,
    I need a 8"x16"x30' R.Oak timber for my current project, and am having a hard time finding that locally. Does anyone have any ideas on sourcing that? I am in Alfred Station NY. (Western NY). I am not opposed to trucking it if necessary.
Thanks!

"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

beenthere

Wow, that is one healthy piece of wood. Likely not going to be an easy find, and could almost say impossible. I suppose you want it to dry straight too?

What are your alternatives? i.e. what is the current project?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpharmer

Contact member customsawyer.  That's his specialty.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jim_Rogers

Have you tried looking into the resource guide on the Timber framers business council website?
They have a section for timber suppliers. I think there is someone who is in Ohio who could help you with that. And not too far to ship.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

I posted earlier, but I guess it didn't make it. The big problem with one off timbers is that you have all the expenses of getting logs, but you can't spread it out over multiple pieces. That size timber only needs an 18" or 19" inch tip at 30'. That would probably go for about $4 a foot around here in oak, or $1280. Less if there were multiple pieces.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

fishfighter

Wish I could help. I have the trees, but way down here in Louisiana, shipping would kill you.

S.Hyland

The timber is going across a living room. The customer couldn't live with posts coming down there, so there we are, one big timber! It's carrying loads from 2 rooflines plus a dormer so it is heavily loaded. I had the engineering done by Fire Tower Engineered Timber. The other option would be to key 2-8x10x30' together, which would be much more labor.
I'll follow up some of those contacts and see where that gets me.
Of course it has to dry straight, beenthere! And I can't have any more than 1/8" shinkage! ;D
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

beenthere

So the 30' timber is only supported at the ends, or not?
I would think not, but if you have the design certified by "Fire Tower Engineered Timber I would think that there would be some pretty strict limits on strength-reducing defects.
What are the grade requirements?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandsawmill14

at 30' it will sag it wont break but it will sag if it was sawn in half and one 1/2 turned opposite it would help there is a house near me with a 8x14 beam only 18' long over the garage door that sagged 2" in the first couple of years but hasnt gotten any worse in the last 10 or so years.
we built some 40' floor joist one time they were 4 1/2x12 but i cheated i put a piece 1/2x12 plate steel full length between 2 2x12s and bolted it all together ;D  we only used the wood so carpenter would have nailers
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

scsmith42

Dave, jake or I could all mill that for you, the main issue will be log availability. Dave would probably have the lowest shipping costs. $4.00 bd ft is about right.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

bill m

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

scsmith42

Quote from: bill m on May 23, 2015, 08:22:24 AM
I could supply that log.

If you can supply the Log then Dave should be able to mill it.  Since y'all are both in MA and the buyer in in NY seems like a good match.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

S.Hyland

It looks like my local guy may have just found a log that will work. He is planning to get a definite today, so I will let you know. Thanks for all the responses!
― Wendell Berry

Thank You Sponsors!