iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Understanding 12v Solenoid Hydraulic Valves

Started by Rougespear, May 22, 2015, 12:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougespear

Im posting here in the sawmilling forum for the benefit of all those running mills with 12v hydraulic solenoid valves.

I purchased one of these "DO3 Hydraulic directional control valves (3 position, 4 way)" from the local store.  It has a 12v coil and is open center.  I was hoping to use it to control the sawhead height up/down motion on my carriage (using suspended hoses from the power pack mounted on the log deck).  I see on the bottom there are four holes which I am assuming on the work ports.  This is where my knowledge on DO3 valves ends.  I understand how lever-style directional control valves work... can someone explain to me the process of installing one of these things?  Is there a mounting plate or something that this valve needs to be attached too so I can connect my hydraulic lines?  Is there an internal relief valve... if so, does the valve need to have line connected for low-pressure dump to the tank?  Can DO3 valves be configured to supply "power beyond" to another valve manifold?

Thanks for the help.
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

BCsaw

Rougespear, valves are typically mounted to something......plate, framework, etc. Word of caution, make sure whatever it is fastened to is flat and be careful torquing it down. Over torque it and the spools won't shift.

If equipped with a relief, most are, it will have some means of adjusting it. You might see a threaded portion that has a locknut on it.A picture of your valve would help. It should be installed on one end of the valve. Be sure to back this off when initially firing up the system. Then stall an actuator and adjust the pressure up to your requirement. The relief is generally installed so that it internally dumps from the high to return side.
Was there no schematic included with the valve? Were the solenoids included with the valve?

What specifications do you have for your pump? Is the valve compatible with these specs?

The lines to your work ports will come from your actuator. Hook these up so that the two lines to your actuator are installed on the work ports (2) of one valve.

You will need some method or means of controlling the solenoids, joystick, momentary switches, etc.
Again a picture and specs. would be helpful in determining your needs.

Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

bandmiller2

Rouge, there is usually a mounting bracket inclosed if not I would hard pipe to the inlet and outlet ports, that should support it. Sometimes it helps understanding valves if you hook up compressed air and a battery you will get a better understanding what does what. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

speedracer

D03 solenoid valves require a mounting subplate. The valve is mounted to the subplate, the subplate is what is attached to the mounting location on the frame or whatever. The valve ports are not threaded, there is no way to connect fittings or hoses to them. The subplate is like a manifold that is ported so that the valve ports line up with the ports in the plate. Hoses and fittings are connected to the subplate. The valves usually do not have any type of internal relief, one needs need be installed in the hydraulic system. The subplates are available for one or more valves. I have not seen any subplates that can be set up as power beyond.

SPD748

Quote from: bandmiller2 on May 22, 2015, 07:16:12 AM
Rouge, there is usually a mounting bracket inclosed if not I would hard pipe to the inlet and outlet ports, that should support it. Sometimes it helps understanding valves if you hook up compressed air and a battery you will get a better understanding what does what. Frank C.

Compressed air is how I learned about the inner workings of the DO5 valves and sub plates I bought for my firewood processor project. A word of caution though... air is almost instantaneous where as fluid is not. If you have cylinders plumbed into the valve they will move many times faster with air than they would with fluid. Don't ask me how I know  :o

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Don_Papenburg

Eaton Vickers Dg4v-3 dual solenoid valves mount on a DO3 subplate .  If your valve is open center you need a Series subplate.
Check out the Surplus Center website  they have a couple of valve companies and styles of valves.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!