iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hercules winch

Started by Zig, May 21, 2015, 08:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zig

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and the proud new owner of a 71 230D with a hercules winch and have a question. The previous owner( who was 85 years old and only selling the skidder because he was getting too old to pull a cable and buying a grapple) blew a seal had a jd dealer put new seals and orings in it and put it back on machine hasn't been used yet but when hooked to a standing tree and holding brakes the winch will start jerking after reading other posts and calling Harold's logging I think the discs may be wet my question is can you get them clean with brake cleaner and I've never been into a winch so how do I go about it? I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I do like some direction on new projects especially potentially expensive ones. Any help would be appreciated

Neilo

People try different things to clean the clutch linings. Some say they work, others not.

Given that the originals contain asbestos, I am not going to advise you, and re-use is banned in my area.

I think new linings are available.

Zig

Do you think they are the originals being 40 years old?  I've seen on some other posts that the problem could be the clutch pack needs adjusted but am not sure of how to do that I'm going to try and find a manual and hope it has some service info in it

Neilo

I responded given you were talking about oil contamination.

They may require adjustment or have build up also.

I have posted adjustment specs before, clutch plate travel is 070" but this is only important for time to engage and make sure it freespools, bigger problem is oil, build up, friction plates too thin, or low hydraulic pressure.

Zig

Thanks I'm going to get into it this evening or in the morning. Those discs are available I guess I will open it up and see what what they look like

Zig

The free spooling isn't terrible but it is a little harder than it should be to pull out

Zig

Alright I've got my winch on the floor and apart clutch discs are soaked it does have abrand new seal and oring do y'all think lazy jd dealer didn't try to clean or replace discs or new parts aren't holding I would sure appreciate som insight from anyone that's been into one of these. Thanks

Thank You Sponsors!