iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Catfish season in WV

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 21, 2015, 07:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Having a fish fry for some of my wife's retired teacher friends next week so Tuesday afternoon Sampson, my rat terrier fishing buddy, and I went to local COE lake, caught some small sunfish and bluegills for live bait and set out some bush hooks (sometimes called limb-lines or drop lines - baited hooks tied to limber green limbs in likely spots). I returned yesterday with Molly, our 3 y/o granddaughter, my wife and Sampson to check the lines. We first caught a few more bait then ran the lines. Had 5 fish totaling 28 lbs ranging from 3-8 lbs. Molly landed the 3 lb channel cat (after a little help from Grandpa to get him in the net) and was real proud of him. I returned that afternoon alone and rebaited and picked up 5 more fish for 26 lbs total. Went back this morning in miserable drizzling rain and took up my lines and had 3 more including an 18 lb flathead. Total for 2 nights catch was 15 fish totaling 84 lbs which yielded 50+ lbs of boneless fillets.

I'll go again in a couple of weeks after the Memorial Day rush, boat races and other scheduled events and stock up and supply several local churches with fish for their summer fish fries, restock several old neighbors freezers, and see if I can't get the 2 older granddaughters out there when free from school.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

kenlt30

Wow! That's a lot of catfish. Good times with the grandkids too.

WV Sawmiller

Kent,

Last year I caught 105 lbs on Memorial Day night. Biggest was 35 lbs (lots are bigger here but that is biggest I have caught yet). Caught 50-60 lbs per day next several days till I ran out of freezer space and got tired of wife telling me not to bring another fish home.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LeeB

Nice tabby. (flathead, yellow, op, whatever you want to call it) My favorite catfish. I haven't been fishing in years. Need to wet a hook.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Wish I were there Howard to help pull them BIG'NS in. Lots of fun I know.
Your Grand Daughter will always remember these good time.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tule peak timber

Very nice! :) I think it very good for the young lady to learn where food comes from .Lots of kids today think food comes from flip top Styrofoam containers. Good on you.....Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WV Sawmiller

Tule,

The girls have known from the time they can remember that wild game and fish are for eating and they also know not to take any they aren't going to use. For all 3 of them for their first birthday we got each of them a lifetime WV hunting/fishing/trapping license. It is great fun to take them out on the lake or 4 wheeler up to the shooting house, looking for fawns to photograph or such. I'm not sure if any of them will ever be interested in sawing lumber or not. At 9, 7 & 3 its probably too early to tell.
Howard Green

tule peak timber

Those kids are lucky to have a great grandfather.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

sandhills

Nice catch!  One of my favorite memories of my grandparents was fishing, they'll remember it too  ;).

drobertson

Outstanding catch, sounds like you are pretty use to hauling in the mother load,  very nice memories for this special week end 8)
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Den Socling

Quote from: tule peak timber on May 22, 2015, 06:50:43 PM
Very nice! :) I think it very good for the young lady to learn where food comes from .Lots of kids today think food comes from flip top Styrofoam containers. Good on you.....Rob

I read one time that some stupid Americans can't believe that pork comes from pigs!  ::)

tule peak timber

WV Sawmiller

Well, weather cooperated and we had a great fish fry Thursday at our picnic area. I think 18 folks there and sent plates to one couple who planned to come but wife got sick and hubby can't see to drive. Molly came down with our son. She later told her mom "There were lots and lots of people there." One guy must have had 4-5 helpings of grits which we always serve at fish fries. Common in central and south Fla where I grew up but not as much up here. Everybody who wanted took extra plates home with them and I finished up leftovers the next day - just the way I like it. Plenty for all but none wasted.

My picnic area is under good beech and buckeye shade tree and consists of a table built from a big flat rock that will seat about 10-12 people and log benches split with chain saw and locust legs whittled off with axe and driven at angles into 1-1/2" holes bored with spade bit. Work fine on rough ground but all would rock if I ever put on a level deck. Next ones will be better since I now have my mill and can male easier/better cuts. Also I learned not to have legs extend too wide past the log or create trip hazard. The granddaughters love to run on the benches and jump dance around on the rock.
Howard Green

sandhills

Sounds like a great time and good plans, I love fish fries!  musteat_1

Okrafarmer

Now I have to see if those brush sets are legal here in SC!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WV Sawmiller

Okra,

I'd be surprised if not legal as widely used. Many states only allow 25 hooks per license and many don't allow live bait and require you to release any gamefish caught on them. Usual rules include name on hooks, check daily, restrictions on where you can safely use them (away from docks, buoys, etc). We used to use Camay and Ivory soap. Would not catch Flatheads who only eat live bait but worked well on Channel and Blue cats. Cut bait such as cut mullet and cut trash fish generally work well on Channel and Blues and some others - but not flatheads.

Check your regs. Experiment on best places and depths and baits to use with them. WV is pretty liberal on their regs. Fla was much more restrictive when I was growing up there. Good luck,
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!