iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A local CCC boys creation

Started by Jeff, May 21, 2015, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Sunday Tammy and I took the T bird for a ride around Budd Lake and I noticed that our local state park was open and a crew was in cleaning up leaves and fallen branches. I'd been meaning to stop in and get some photos of the amazing beach building built by the ccc boys to post, so we did.

Situated on 36 wooded acres with a sandy beach on Budd Lake, Wilson State Park is located on the north end of Budd Lake. We live across the lake from the park but close enough to easily here boat traffic on the lake in the summer. The park was originally the site of the Wilson Brothers Sawmill and Company Store, which thrived in the late 1800s. The land was deeded to the City of Harrison in 1901 and in 1920 was turned over to the State of Michigan to be used as a state park. The park was officially dedicated in 1927. The beach and residence building at the park entrance were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps from 1939 to 1941. If you come to a pigroast, it's worth a stop to see. Pictures don't do it justice or give you a good feel on the size of the stones they used to build it.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

drobertson

Looks pretty, did you get any of the lake?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

fishpharmer

Thanks Jeff! I love the live edge siding.  Impressive stonework.  looks like the roof is covered with wood shingles?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

Never thought of taking photos of the lake.  :)   Harrison's town motto is "20 lakes in 20 minutes"  We are surrounded by lakes.

The majority of the structure does have wood shingles and I think they are still original but are looking pretty bad in places. Part has been re shingled. I was told by one of the guys in there working that the park had received a grant to restore the building, so I am guessing the whole structure will get  new wood shingles.

This is where we are. The park is labeled in the top left corner.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

drobertson

Pretty country, a place we'll have to visit sometime,  it seems many of these parks are closing across the country, while others are being maintained.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

OntarioAl

Very impressive.
The window opening and man door give scale to the size of the stone.
Jeff is the structure heated at all?
If not it is even more impressive as to the design and quality  of the original construction to endure the ravages of winter.
Al
Al Raman

Thank You Sponsors!