iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Online Forestry Degree

Started by ID Mountaineer, May 20, 2015, 09:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ID Mountaineer

Good day to you all. I'm new to the forum here but I've been looking at it as a guest and am quite impressed.
A question I have is about doing college courses online. I would really like to work towards getting my forestry degree but I work a full time job trying to support my wife and baby so I don't have any time to go to college.
Does anybody know of a way to take these courses online?

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Go online and send some inquiries to the Forestry Schools, and ask about the possibility of online courses.
I'd be surprised if they don't have some online courses, but equally surprised if some basic college campus education accomplishments are not pre-requisite to going online.

What do you have to offer in the way of experience and previous accomplishments that might trip their hot button? Maybe just paying for the courses is enough and you will find you are good to go.

Wish you the best. Keep us up on what you find out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF!  Mississippi State University offers an online Masters degree in Forestry.   Seems like more and more different degrees are offered online every year.   Not sure how employers view such a degree.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WV Mountaineer

I personally don't know of any accredited online Forestry Degrees.  Master and Bachelor are two entirely different things.  The bachelor's accreditation process requires a lot of forestry core classes that include in field work.  I simply don't know if that is possible on line or not.

If I were you, I'd pick a school with a program, get with an academic adviser there in the forestry program and, find the general studies classes that could be taken online and transferred to the schol, then find out what Forestry classes could be taken as a part time student and go from there.  What you are going to find out is that there are classes that need to be taken prior to others and, once you get all the part time done, you could apply for financial aid and get your requirements done in three semesters.  You could borrow enough to work night jobs and make ends meet.  Good luck and remember, it is do-able if you want it bad enough.  God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

Ron Scott

Ditto to the above!

It would be difficult to complete all the degree requirements on line since some forestry classes are best taught and learned "hands on" such as the labs etc.where knowledge, skills, and ability is gained only through field experience gained under the guidance of a professional forestry professor or instructor.

More and more classes are being taught on line, however, so much may be accomplished that way depending upon the school that you are seeking your degree from.
~Ron

petefrom bearswamp

You need to get some dirt under your fingernails and get bit by skeeters and such when getting the field experience.
This is the priceless part of the degree.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SwampDonkey

Being an accredited program is the big thing, without it, the degree will not be looked upon favorably. I've seen in the media different reports on these online courses and many didn't make the grade, just took someone's money.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mlufholm

Probably not worth much, but...

- Check out the requirement catalog for schools, get gen eds done online (chemistry, calc, microecon, etc.) that will be accepted at your SAF accredited school of choice (U Idaho would work)
- Consider junior college or community college for required coursework as necessary
- Get in some internship work (if you can make the minimal $ work with the family, of course)

Or, just go talk to a (good) local logger. I don't know any loggers in ID, but I know the MT logging professionals I have talked to are pretty dang amazing resource managers and know much more (applicable) information than college grads. These guys have the whole boots on the ground perspective that is super valuable, and you might be able to find some direction without having to go to school.

My opinion is worth exactly what you just paid for it, so thank you for considering it for the last 15 seconds.

ppine

Field work is really important. I spent a summer in the woods at the UW field research facility.
Forester

WildlandFirefighter912

I agree when people say do hands on schooling. Online classes will only about make you "book smart". Its a different world when you get involved with it in person.

I say find a local class and go to it. I went to a Tech school. It was fun. Lots of hands on activities...and women. :D

ppine

At the U of Washington we had a famous professor Dr DRM Scott now deceased RIP. He had a basic class in Forest Ecology and wasted no time in getting his students out on north facing slopes that were brushed in and full of Devil's Club and Ribies. Some of the nice kids from the suburbs were packing their duffle bags to go home in 3 days.  He took us to a lot of logging shows, and rolled make your owns with one hand.  The guy was brilliant, but understood the idea that book smart does not go very far in the woods.

I would have great reservations about hiring a person with an on-line forestry degree.
Forester

SwampDonkey

And every darn time going up them slippery side hills from all the rain, one grabs a hold of anything to stay on your feet. A lot of times it's devils club which will leave little reminders behind. :D

I worked in coastal BC, devils club, salal vines and big timber. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Carson-saws

As far as "pre-requests go" can those be gained at either on-line or community colleges. The "field work"..is working summers with the State DNR or State Dept. of Agriculture/forest service gain folks some of the necessary field work?  Or even perhaps, if possible, working for/with a municipal Forestry Department?
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

ppine

Carson,
Summer jobs in forestry are especially hard to get without a degree.  That is a problem. That is why the academic programs in forestry need a lot of field work. We used to be in the woods at least 2 days a week year around, with a requirement for a quarter in the woods full-time.  There is nothing sorrier than a guy with a credential in forestry with little field time.

Swampdonkey has been there.  BC can be tough, SE Alaska is even a little worse.
Forester

SwampDonkey

I worked just across the channel from Alaska many times.  ;D

Carson-saws

ppine....so the "field work" can only be obtained at the accredited schools? 

chevytaHOE5674

Yes. Summer jobs and such don't really count towards your degree at all, (except in some circumstance like a Co-op or internship) but even then usually only a credit or two.

Your "field-work" is all class time with instructors teaching you things.

Carson-saws

Thank you for clearing that up for me.  Seems tough enough to make a living these days much less try to better yourself with the schooling you want to attend.  Perseverance will prevail I'm hoping.

xrockdawgx

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a forestry degree must meet the standards set by the National Science teachers association. That being said, I don't think you will find much more than an introduction to forestry class online.
Experience > education.

ppine

In previous times it was common for people to have summer field jobs cruising and marking timber with private timber companies and the USFS.  That was great experience but it is harder to get now without some training in mensuration.  Now people have field computers and programs to calculate data like stand volume.  It takes some classes to get hired.
Forester

Thank You Sponsors!