iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lt40 super g3 drive align

Started by JustinW_NZ, May 20, 2015, 01:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinW_NZ

Hi all.

Ive just had to do the tracking on my mills drive side.
Its a 97 super with the basic two u clamps holding the main drive bearing. (Revision g3)

My question is now with the band tracked between the rollers i have some upwards tilt on the band onthe drive side.
Now its not like a newer one with nice bolts to turn to align, i suspect you either slacken the front nuts and move it or make sure the mast pads are true to keep it stright.

Not quite sure but its such a pain to mess with any pointers would be good.
I hope i explained it correctly.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

MartyParsons

Hello,
Not sure what this is referring " now I have the band tracked between the rollers"  I always center the band blade on the B-57 belt. With out the rollers on the blade you can check to see if the blade is tilted up or down. Only on a new bearing replacement can you adjust the tilt of the wheel on the drive side. This would be on early mills. Later mills as in today you can adjust the tilt of the drive side wheel. I don't think I can say I ever adjusted a drive side wheel tilt. The spec for this is quite high.
If I am replace the drive bearing I do check this and adjust if needed. You then drill a hole and there is a roll pin to keep it from moving. I do my best to make it exact.
I hope this helps. I may have miss read what you are looking for.
If you are looking to adjust the tilt of the band with the blade guide roller that should not be an issue. That is what the rollers are there for.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

JustinW_NZ

Thanks marty, good reply.
Yes, ive taken the roller guides out and have tracked the band on the bandwheels which also have the b57 belts on them.

I see a roll pin in the bearing plate so guess thats what its there for.
Its still about 7mm pointing up on the drive side which yes i could take it out with the roller guides but it seems odd.
It hasnt been a new bearing go in, just the nuts came lose after some issues with drive side guides that were half wreaked by previous owner, ive ordered replacement assembles to stop the issue there.

If the pads on the mast were worn and needing tightening this could cause the movement i suspect?
Make sense or am i off track there?

Thanks very much.
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

MartyParsons

Hello,
Any tilt of the head may cause the blade to be off. Follow the procedure and adjust the mast pads. Then recheck the blade tilt. You should have replaced the B-57 belts because worn belts may also give you a inaccurate reading. Using other belts with a round top may also cause alignment  issues.
I am not good with the 7 mm to fractions but Google came up with 1/4". The WM manual says 1/16" or more than. 

When you move to blade guide tool to the idle side of the saw head what measurement do you get there? 

I would adjust your mast pads then use the idle side adjustment to see how close you can get. This adjustment will effect the drive side also.

Are you having an sawing issue? The blade guide roller will take this out but the blade will be happier if it is running parallel to the bed.
How many hours on this mill?

Worse case. Drive out the roll pin, change the tilt and drill another hole and reinstall the roll pin.

I think you will find something else going on. 

Hope this helps.
M

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!