iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another drying Shed

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, May 19, 2015, 07:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I decided to build a shed off the side of my metal carport I just bought.
I didn't have telephone poles and absolutely was not gonna buy treated post from Slowe's or even attempt to dig holes in that hard ground.

Soooo, I just sawed 2 heavy White Oak cants and leveled them up on blocks. It took some doing to level them suckers and jack them up and move them an inch or 2 but I got them perfect.

Then started doing a little framing.

Went and picked up my ordered metal from the next town over.

Then put the roof on. The outside 2 rafters are heart Cedar. the inner rafters are SYP.

I now have a 12 x 21 shed to stack and air dry more lumber. But actually I probably will build shelves to place my Mantles and carved Corbals on.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

redbeard

Now you done it! It will be a barn before you know it.  happens to me all the time. Starts out small and ends up  big. Nice Job!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Nomad

David, much as I hate to say it you've finally impressed me.  I like it! :D  Side note; you gonna be at Jake's this weekend?  It'd be nice to see you again.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: nomad on May 19, 2015, 07:52:06 PM
     David, much as I hate to say it you've finally impressed me.  I like it! :D  Side note; you gonna be at Jake's this weekend?  It'd be nice to see you again.

Thanks Nomad. I not gonna be able to make it to Jake's this year but will be in Georgia in a week or so after the project on government business concerning our national security.
I'll let ya know when I'm in Georgia.  :)

WDH

That is a novel approach for sure.  Good thing that you did not under-size that beam.  If it was a hamburger, it would be a 5 and a quarter pounder  :D

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 19, 2015, 07:58:51 PM
will be in Georgia in a week or so after the project on government business concerning our national security.

I will have to get Julio to watch the border and issue a Red Alert. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 19, 2015, 08:19:10 PM
If it was a hamburger, it would be a 5 and a quarter pounder  :D

Those 2 cants came out of 1 log. Very little profitable lumber would have come out of that log. However, that log split makes a good foundation. Very heavy. I occasionally will soak it down in spent motor oil mixed with diesel.

WDH

That thing has lettuce, tomato, three kinds of cheese, onions, ham, sausage, bacon, with two fried eggs on top. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

Nice lookin' drying shed, David.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 19, 2015, 08:26:35 PM
That thing has lettuce, tomato, three kinds of cheese, onions, ham, sausage, bacon, with two fried eggs on top.

....between a Sesame Seed Bun.  :D

brianb88

Measure twice, cut once

4x4American

easy now you're getting into mcdonalds copyright territory  :snowball:
Boy, back in my day..

fishfighter

You have to hand stack lumber in? I got to build something, but I have to have it were I can back in my tractor. I'm not about to double stack lumber, ;D Still, your shed should do the trick.

Ribsy

Engaged in tree work, tree removal, milling and and processing said product into high quality and well seasoned lumber slabs and firewood.

hackberry jake

Nice! That would be a good use for "suspected metal" logs as well. Less chance of hitting trash with the blade.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: fishfighter on May 19, 2015, 08:50:11 PM
You have to hand stack lumber in? I got to build something, but I have to have it were I can back in my tractor. I'm not about to double stack lumber, ;D Still, your shed should do the trick.

If you want it stickered you have to hand stack it. My backhoe and forks bring a load directly from the mill bed to the shed. Then stack and sticker 1 time.  :)

fishfighter

I have a full manual mill. I stack and sticker right off the mill.

hackberry jake

What were you doing with the grinder?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Peter Drouin

Nice job, having lumber under a roof is a good thing  8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

Looks good!  8) (And it's a good thing sunshine doesn't weigh very much.)  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hackberry jake on May 19, 2015, 09:22:32 PM
What were you doing with the grinder?

Had a bent screw. Broke it off and ground it down flush.

sumday

You sure that beam can handle that much span ?

YellowHammer

Those big hunks of wood on the blocks also serve as crash protection in case a runaway locomotive makes a run at your drying shed.   ;D
Anyway, looks great. 
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brucer

Very nice.

I always like to put an old asphalt shingle on top of the concrete blocks to prevent moisture wicking up into the wood. You could probably slip them in if you wanted to :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ox

Unrelated to this topic, but the asphalt shingle brought back a memory that might be helpful to someone.
An old timer told me to put a shingle at the bottom of the hole before you set a post, grit side down.  The weight of the building pushing down on the post pushes and smears the asphalt of the shingle into the end grains of the post and seals it off from any moisture wicking.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

5quarter

You are clever old goat ... ;) a Hundred years from now, when all else has rotted into the ground, that oak sill will still be sitting there. someone will probably find it and sell it for huge $$...a relic from a time when humans still built stuff with wood.  ::) ::)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

78NHTFY

Poston--now that's a beeutifulll thang!  ( Did I get the accent right? :D :D :D--learned from my bro in St. Augustine (a builder BTW) who's acquired a nice twang to his talkin). For a minute though, as I scrolled down the pics, I thought you were somehow laminating the beams end to end to create a huge carrying beam... :) :)  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

taylorsmissbeehaven

Great looking shed David. I do have to ask though, did someone fall off the stool in the third picture? Im not sure that stool is  an OSHA approved building stool! But still, nice addition to the wood yard. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

grweldon

I have a question...  Do you think you could use two beams like that to use as the foundation for a drying shed?  I need to build one but I don't want to have to prepare what most folks would call a foundation.

I'm really tired of them... https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,80465.msg1223241.html#msg1223241

With your method, I could just cut a couple of 8x8s (or larger) and use them to build on top of.  Do you think your blocks will sink in to the ground over time?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

fishfighter

You can always build 24"x 24" slabs 6'-8' on center and put concrete piers on top. Then your sills. Something like this. You can adjust the height too!

thecfarm

That looks good. I turned the blocks the other way. My holes are not on the ground. I know the blocks are stronger the other way,but I built the Women Cave that way and all is good,so far.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!