iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Sawmill Owner

Started by highway, May 19, 2015, 07:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highway

[/img]Hi all,

Just took delivery Sunday of my new Norwood HD 36 sawmill and put it right to work. I sawed 3 large poplar logs and am very excited about this new venture. I have a lot to learn but am up to the challenge.

Has anyone added an hour meter to their mill and if so how would I go about doing that?

Thanks,

Ed
www.fletcher-farm.com

2006 Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic, Kubota M4900 4WD, Kawasaki Mule, Team of Belgian Drafts for real horse power
www.fletcher-farm.com

drobertson

howdy, and will say I'm happy for you, perfect time of year to get into the mill,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ga Mtn Man

Congrats on the new mill!  How about some pics :).

Here's the hour meter/tach that I used on mine:

http://amzn.com/B000FOOAXY
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

JohnM

Congratulations, highway (Ed)! 8)  That mill should be a huge help around that farm.  Great website btw.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

78NHTFY

Highway--congratulations on the new mill and enjoy sawdust fever: it's permanent!  What are your planned projects?  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

highway

Thanks for all the feedback, we operate a 5th generation homestead and have lots of animals to take care of. We pull most all our wood with a team of draft Belgians for logs and fuel wood for the house and sugar house.

I have a machine shed in the works and also have a bit more restoration work to do on our barn and farmhouse. Both of which date back to 1787.

Never a dull moment owning these old buildings for sure.

Ed

2006 Woodmizer LT 40 Hydraulic, Kubota M4900 4WD, Kawasaki Mule, Team of Belgian Drafts for real horse power
www.fletcher-farm.com

thecfarm

Nice barn,nice place,nice mill,nice adventure.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill.

I added a tach/hour meter to my mill quite some time ago.

When the engine isn't running, it's an hour meter and when you start the engine, it's a tach!

Simple hook-up, mount it, then take the red wire and wrap it around one of the spark plug wires about 3-4 times and take the white wire and fasten it to ground.

Works pretty good.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishfighter

Quote from: highway on May 19, 2015, 01:01:58 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, we operate a 5th generation homestead and have lots of animals to take care of. We pull most all our wood with a team of draft Belgians for logs and fuel wood for the house and sugar house.

I have a machine shed in the works and also have a bit more restoration work to do on our barn and farmhouse. Both of which date back to 1787.

Never a dull moment owning these old buildings for sure.

Ed

Would love to see some pictures of the inside of your barn of the timbers and joints that were used to build it.

Welcome aboard.

MAI

Nice looking mill.  Congrats.

dboyt

Good to have a fellow Norwood owner on the forum.  Good mill & great folks to deal with.  I'll be very interested in hearing what you think of the hydraulics, since I'm interested in making that upgrade.  Did you buy the mill assembled or put it together yourself?  Looks like a great place and a lot of work for you & the mill.  Looking forward to more photos!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Ox

Those Norwood mills fascinate me.  They look kind of cheap but they appear to be rock solid in all the videos.  I would like to see one in person someday.
Maybe when the next logging show is going on up north of me. 
Maybe when I can stand to leave my hill.
Maybe when I can stand to be around lots of people.
Maybe... ::)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

highway

I bought this mill right off the floor at a show up in Me. last weekend, smoking deal and got the 4' permanent rail  extension and cover as well as 10 blades and a spare tire and wheel. So I can saw up to 16.5'.

No delivery charge and no set up required. Assembled at their factory by their techs so I know it is right. And they even delivered it to me after the show right to my doorstep in NH.

I have been lurking on this site for a couple of years and have been planning this purchase for a long time. I have to be honest and say I was Leary about the construction and all the fasteners, but after running this mill for a bit now, it is very stout and well constructed. I am a metal fabricator by profession and am not at all worried about the way the mill is built.

The hydraulic features are great, it did not take long to figure out how to roll the log, compensate for taper with the toe boards and use the log clamp and back rests. Very little running around the mill for any thing except pulling the boards off. The log loader lifted the 830 lb log with ease.  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip3kJo5kZNQ

I was going to purchase this mill or a Woodmizer LT 35 hydraulic. Both were within my budget and constructed very well. If Woodmizer was willing to deal I could have maybe had one of those but I chose the Norwood. Here is a video of rolling a 12" x 10' long green Poplar cant with the log turner. Sorry for the poor video quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WNJt8SoQXM

www.fletcher-farm.com

Ox

I'm still fascinated.  No movement, stout, stable.  Incredible.
Those hydraulics didn't even grunt.
I'm envious!   :D
Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your purchase!  I'm betting you'll be quite happy with it.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Bruno of NH

Nice mill !
Great looking farm Washington is beautiful part of the state often over looked .
I trade at the lumber barn in Goshen not far from you .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

highway

Getting more used to this mill everyday, made a couple of newbie mistakes and wrecked a blade by running it into the back stop, they don't like metal very well 😳

Cut a bunch of poplar stickers and finally sawed my first large pine, 27" on the small end. What are you all doing for blade sharpening in NH? Are they easy to ship or do you drop them off? Who do you use.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R0P_WQk0rgE

THANKS,

ED
www.fletcher-farm.com

fishpharmer

Congrats on the new mill.  Its working very well in the video.  Your pup likes it too.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Ox

Nice video, thanks for sharing.
I can only say one thing and that is most guys will shut the blade engagement off to prolong the life of their blades.  Every time that blade goes around is more life lost.  I shut mine down after every cut (slow, manual mill).  Some with the super fast mills will leave it running but it's seconds between cuts.  Just a little friendly suggestion to maybe help you squeeze some pennies.  :)

mad murdock

Congrats on the mew Norwood!! Nice mill and real nice farm setup. You have some beautiful well trained teams there and some nice equipment to work them with! The mill will be quite an asset on the old home place 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Dad2FourWI

highway, congrats on the mill !!!!

Opening up each log is a treat to see what we "find" in there!!! (hopefully NO metal!)

As for the backstop, don't sweat it... comes with the territory!  :D :D

We too run our mill just for our farm use... well, at least for now...  ;D

We liked your web-site... your farm looks beautiful.

Welcome and keep the pics coming,
-Dad2FourWI

LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

thechknhwk

The website is definitely well done & congrats on the sawmill.  I like the chain turner!

highway

Here are some photos of the barn joinery and some of the restoration work I have done to date, lots more to do in the future.

www.fletcher-farm.com

tmarch

Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Ox

I can only imagine the amount of time it takes to do that.  That looks just like the old timers used to do on barns 200+ years old that are still standing.  Very nice.
I'll never forget my old, now gone farmer friend that called horses hay burners.  I was a young kid.  I didn't know what it meant, so I asked.  He said, "You feed 'em hay and they don't put no milk in the tank so they're just burnin' it!"
Ol' Gramps Beaumont.  I'll never forget him.

highway

With the exception of the horse stalls, all the other photos are hand hewn chestnut and other hardwoods. Some of the Perlins are half round spruce. All the barn boards are spruce, some 20" wide.

Those are original timbers and joints from around 1787. This old barn and house are the second oldest in our village according to the town history and were recorded as standing in 1787, they may actually be a little older. It is considered to be an English barn, but was added on to in the late 1800's. It is interesting to see the two totally different types of construction and joinery in one barn.

We fell pretty fortunate to still be using a piece of living history. We try to renovate with that in mind, but do not cut joinery like they did in the old days. We use locally sourced hemlock for structural stuff and pine or spruce for boards. All timber peg screws, no wooden pegs either. 😀

Ed

Ed
www.fletcher-farm.com

Thank You Sponsors!